PDA

View Full Version : Speaker placement question

ron o
01-16-2006, 10:40 AM
Hey all, I'm getting my 340se's today, 2 fronts and 1 center, this will complete my system. I have the 170's as rear surround and the VS2.... sub in the back.

3 questions -

1) Are the SE's the exact same dimensions as the old 340's as I have little room to spare

2) Is this good placement - the center channel will be centered on top my permanent 7 1/2ft x 4ft screen and the 2 front 340se's will be located 2 ft off the ground on each side of the screen. They will be in cabinets and I will pull them out about 4 inches for proper port clearance.

3) What is a good medium for the speakers to sit on besides the wood shelves or is that ok?

thanks...

ron o

Lou-the-dog
01-16-2006, 04:10 PM
Yes, the SE's are the same dimensions as the Classic's. Only the internals have changed. As far as placement for your center, the only thing I can suggest is to try it on top of the screen and also on a stand underneath. The significant vertical distance between the mains and the center may cause some noticeable shift in the dialog on pans. Angling the center to the listening position may solve the problem tho. I'm sure that setting them directly on the shelf is fine acoustically. I put a thin 1/8" piece of foam beneath mine just for piece of mind and scuff proofing.

Randy