PDA

View Full Version : Ascend Car Speakers?

KojiroTakenashi
01-08-2006, 09:02 PM
Most of the Car Audio offerings I've heard have been...underwhelming. Any plans to make Car Speakers?

curtis
01-08-2006, 10:43 PM
We've asked before and have been denied! :)

Let me suggest CDT Audio.

jparr
01-09-2006, 08:48 PM
Ascend builds cabinets, crossovers, and matches components. Why not just go to the source, and get some Audax drivers?

KojiroTakenashi
01-09-2006, 08:50 PM
You entirely sure about that, there? By my understanding the Ascend drivers are supposed to be unique...

jparr
01-09-2006, 08:56 PM
You entirely sure about that, there? By my understanding the Ascend drivers are supposed to be unique...
Sure, they are custom for the cabinets and cross over frequencys, I can buy that. But I wouldn't say they are any better or any worse than the other Audax products, just that they have been tweaked for use in the 340 and the 170. That being said, I have heard some very good car speakers. In fact, I ran some MB Quart QSD series in custom cabinets at home for a while. Very nice.

Lou-the-dog
01-09-2006, 09:41 PM
I dunno guys...automobile sound systems are a whole nuther animal. If Davef were to design a speaker for use in an automobile he may opt for an entirely different driver/brand than is currently used in our Ascends. I suspect the challenging acoustic environment of an automobile would require a whole different approach than home audio. What I'm trying to say is that simply buying an Aerogel/Audax driver and inserting it in a cabinet won't necessarily give you near the quality of sound that a true Davef designed-for-auto system would.

Randy

curtis
01-09-2006, 09:49 PM
And it is not Aerogel any more, now Polygel, something I believe that DaveF has helped developed in conjunction with the driver supplier/manufacturer...and I do not think it is Audax anymore(not sure).

The tweeters in the SE models are now made by Seas.

einsteinjb
01-09-2006, 10:39 PM
I've heard Dynaudio makes nice car speakers. If they're anything like their pro audio stuff it should rock.

Personally I use Oz Matrix separates in (you're gonna laugh here but I'm serious) my minivan, matched with two JL Audio 8" subs. One sub is in a nice 1/2 cylinder type cabinet (I don't think they make that box anymore) and the other is in a small custom box, and the system ROCKS. The Oz Matrix tweeter (and mid too for that matter) is truly sweet. If my new CBM-170 SEs sound as good in my home as my Oz Matrix sound in my car, I'll be thrilled. :)