PDA

View Full Version : Help me spend my $$$ on my next upgrade...

Beuby
01-08-2006, 05:36 PM
I'm torn here and my decision might hinge ultimately on theory...

When I decided on building a modest system last year I first acquired an older 2-channel HK receiver, a new Integra DVD player and a pair of 170s. Well, the HK is going back to it's owner and I'm contemplating a couple of scenarios. Anything I do should, in combination, remain under $1,000. My listening is split roughly 60/40 music/movies:

1. Outlaw RR2150 receiver + HSU STF-1. The sub would enhance the 170s and the receiver keeps things simple.

2. Panasonic SA-XR55S and 340SEs; the 170s suddenly become surrounds.

3. "Traditional" receiver (currently sold on a Marantz SR5600 for some reason) and STF-1. Surround would have to wait.

Though I've been reading exhaustively on developments in A/V in the past year, I'm tempted to keep things simple with 2-channels. Though I'd obviously miss out on the audio experiences of DVDs, if I'm running (for example) S-video from the DVD player to the TV, am I really losing any video capability? Finally, I've encountered a few articles here and there that mention the limitations of 2-channel stereo in terms of realizing music's capability and wonder about 5.1/7.1 "enhancement" here....

Anyhow, all a little confusing to me as I attempt to keep pace.

bikeman
01-08-2006, 05:58 PM
I'm torn
Welcome to audio/video 2006.

[QUOTE=Beuby]
2. Panasonic SA-XR55S and 340SEs; the 170s suddenly become surrounds.[QUOTE=Beuby]

This gets my vote.

[QUOTE=Beuby]am I really losing any video capability?[QUOTE=Beuby]

More than you can imagine.

[QUOTE=Beuby]Finally, I've encountered a few articles here and there that mention the limitations of 2-channel stereo in terms of realizing music's capability and wonder about 5.1/7.1 "enhancement" here.....[QUOTE=Beuby]

Don't sweat it. Things are changing so fast that to try and keep up will cost more than a bunch. Go with what works for now and don't worry about the future. The "future" is a moving target.

David

Beuby
01-08-2006, 06:10 PM
Thanks--- as a lover of remasted DVDs from the likes of Criterion, I have a clearer direction! Now, I have to overcome the mental hurdle of pure digital in a receiver...

Lou-the-dog
01-08-2006, 06:49 PM
I'd be inclined to back up David's recomendation. I have not listened to the XR55 myself BUT David's (and others) affinity for this digital reciever definitely deserves respect. As far as the 340's, as much as I love the 170's, the 340's are just another step up, especially when used in larger listening areas.

Randy

Beuby
01-08-2006, 08:22 PM
Glad to here it... perhaps I can avoid a sub altogether now that the SE version is/will be available...