PDA

View Full Version : any thoughts of adding the Velodyne SMS-1 to this site?

quattro_S4
12-21-2005, 11:17 AM
I've done quite a bit of research on this item, and I plan to purchase it this summer when I buy my new speaker set-up. Sites like Outlaw Audio are offering it with their own subs:

http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/sms1.html

I think this may be a nice addition to offer along with the HSU subs here. If you're curious about what I'm talking about, this is the DSP processor in the megabuck Velodyne DD series subwoofers. They now offer a stand alone piece to use with any subwoofer.

-Pete

bikeman
12-21-2005, 11:38 AM
It's a nice unit but at $600. it's a bit pricy and I'm not sure what it does that a BFD can't do a fraction of the price. The BFD is a much bigger pain to set up but once it's up, it's up. Anyone have experience with both?

David

BradJudy
12-21-2005, 11:47 AM
There's lots of discussion of both over on AVS. Setup is very different, most notably, the SMS doesn't require a computer that can be brought into the HT room (something that a lot of people don't have or don't want to mess with).

Hsu Research hasn't seemed to weigh in on the whole room EQ stuff yet, except to say that they have a sub in the works that sounds like it might have some level of integrated EQ. Assuming Ascend continues their partnership with Hsu, I would expect them to follow whatever path Hsu takes for sub EQ.

quattro_S4
12-21-2005, 12:11 PM
I came across this discussion thread from a UK site discussing this, and someone jokes about the fact there will be a bunch of used BFD's hitting the market now. So, they see the Velodyne product as something pretty special.

http://www.avtalk.co.uk/forum/index.php?t=msg&th=11257&start=25&rid=0&SQ=0

"Perfect Vision" or "Home Theater" magazine had a very positive review a couple of months ago, that is what grabbed my attention initially.

-Pete

Quinn
12-21-2005, 12:40 PM
Hsu Research hasn't seemed to weigh in on the whole room EQ stuff yet, except to say that they have a sub in the works that sounds like it might have some level of integrated EQ. Assuming Ascend continues their partnership with Hsu, I would expect them to follow whatever path Hsu takes for sub EQ.

Does that mean the HO series will have built-in EQ/room correction? With Hsu's delevopment/release rate it would almost have to be the case if they are talking about it.

BradJudy
12-21-2005, 12:50 PM
Does that mean the HO series will have built-in EQ/room correction? With Hsu's delevopment/release rate it would almost have to be the case if they are talking about it.

Actually, I think they specifically said that these were separate items from the HO subs (or at least the initial round of HO subs). I expect any EQ products from Hsu to be at least several months away.

BradJudy
12-21-2005, 12:52 PM
I did a quick search and found this recent (Dec 11th) quote from Peter at Hsu:

We are working on some DSP-equipped models, but I cannot speak in any detail yet, my apologies Stay tuned, my friends.

Quinn
12-21-2005, 01:40 PM
Thanks.

bikeman
12-21-2005, 02:51 PM
I had a quick chance to test my new el-cheapo subwoof this afternoon before the wife gets home. When I moved the Dayton 10 away from the corner it was to gain a better freq. curve at the expense of a bit of low end extension. I've added a
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SubDude/
and I'm still getting the better curve but oddly, it dosen't appear I'm giving up the low end extension. Stay tuned. Lots more work involved.

David