PDA

View Full Version : The Sound of the Ascends

ron o
12-17-2005, 06:58 PM
I have been reading this forum and others in regards to the Ascend speakers. There is one thing that I keep thinking about that I have read more than once and that is - I hear the comment - "You have to get used to the sound" or "Once you get used to the sound"

Can someone explain that? Do these have a different sound?

Thanks

ron o

Lou-the-dog
12-17-2005, 08:09 PM
Welcome Ron O! I'll give this a try. Speakers from different designers can sound different. Usually this signature sound reflects a goal of the designer. Maybe the goal was to create a speaker that can be listened to loudly without fatigue which might be considered a warm or a "laid back" presentation. Or maybe the design goal was to create a sound with alot of "air" and accenuate the highs...the listener might interpret this as a bright presentation. Ascends are generally regarded to have a "neutral" presentation...or one which presents as accurately or truly as possible to the original recording.The answer to your question really comes down to a matter of reference AND preference. For example, if you were acclimated to a bright speaker then the first time you heard Ascends you might think they sound warm. On the other hand, if you were used to the sound of a warm speaker then the first time you heard the Ascends you might regard them as bright. Hence, comes the advice to listen to the speakers for a while...to get "used" to them. This acclimation period serves to break down your "old" reference and give your brain a chance to imprint and appreciate a new reference. Hope this helps.

Randy

curtis
12-17-2005, 08:31 PM
Wow Randy...great post...and I absolutely agree.

Do these have a different sound?

Welcome Ron. Like Randy posted...it depends on what you are used to.

I once took my 340's to a local audio shop to compare to other speakers. While comparing in one of the showrooms, the owner of the shop came out of his office to ask what speakers were playing...because they did not sound familiar to him. When he was told that they were, he said "wow, that sounded like a live performance from my office."

ron o
12-18-2005, 12:38 AM
Thanks guys,,,,, I think I will order a couple and try them out

ron o

curtis
12-18-2005, 01:03 AM
Thanks guys,,,,, I think I will order a couple and try them out

ron o
Yeah....that would be the best thing to do.

Jonnyozero3
12-18-2005, 09:56 AM
Haha.... :D

You'll love them, I'm sure ;)