PDA

View Full Version : Speaker/SW suggestions

kidsmoke
12-12-2005, 04:20 PM
Hi all, I'm new here. I'd like to purchase a 5.1 system for my living room. 14 x 16 with a 16 ft cathedral ceiling. Room is open to the kitchen and dining room. Hardwood floors. I plan to put some rugs down and possibly curtains in the future. Anyways. For speaker system I am looking at 340 mains, 340c, and the HTM 200's for rears. Would probably get the pedestal stands for the 340's. Whats a good subwoofer that will match up well with this system? Would I be better off going with the 170's for the rear? Will be using a Panasonic SR55 for receiver. Thanks.

bikeman
12-12-2005, 05:35 PM
Will you be doing multi-channel (DVD-A, SACD) music? That's the only reason that I would go with 170's for surround duty. I like my 200's as surrounds. They're much smaller than the 170's with more placement options.

David

kidsmoke
12-12-2005, 08:06 PM
Will you be doing multi-channel (DVD-A, SACD) music? That's the only reason that I would go with 170's for surround duty. I like my 200's as surrounds. They're much smaller than the 170's with more placement options.

David

No plans to do dvd-a or sacd. Think I'll do the 200's for surrounds. Now to choose a sub. (Anything will sound better than the old yammy HTIB crap I've got now).

kidsmoke
12-12-2005, 11:01 PM
Went ahead and ordered the following. :D Really looking forward to enjoying music and movies on this system.

340 mains
340 center
200 surrounds
VTF-2 MK 2

gr1m
12-12-2005, 11:21 PM
Went ahead and ordered the following. :D Really looking forward to enjoying music and movies on this system.

340 mains
340 center
200 surrounds
VTF-2 MK 2

can't wait another month for the new SE line?

einsteinjb
12-13-2005, 02:06 AM
can't wait another month for the new SE line?
Not to mention the new Hsu HO versions!

However, I love my VTF-2 Mk 2 (I ordered knowing full well the HOs were coming too, but it suited my needs). It sounds amazing and the piano black finish is gorgeous. I'm running it in a tiny room so no need for the HOs for me, though I did test it in a much larger room when I had it delivered (not sure of the dimensions, maybe 15 x 22 or so, with a couple of open doorways?) and it held its own nicely next to my buddy's massive SVS PB12 Ultra/2. Now don't go thinkin I'm high or drunk... Obviously it sounded like the Ultra/2's 8 year old lil brother. But as far as sound quality, extension, accuracy, clean sound, it rocked. It just won't make the pipes leak like the SVS does. :D If you're using it in a reasonable size room and aren't trying to crack your foundation, I'm sure you'll love it. If you do want to do some damage, you probably should have gone for an SVS or waited for the Hsu HOs. :)

kidsmoke
12-13-2005, 03:25 AM
Yes I could have waited. Let me tell you why I didn't. I was initially looking to buy from another online retailer. I'd joined the forums, found a very positive community with nothing but praise for the company (much like you'll find here). I was ready to order a current speaker system from them. I was told that a new system was on it's way and blah blah blah. I passed on current stock waiting for the upgrade. Current stock ran out, yet they still didn't have the new system available. I was told to wait a month. That was in early October. They still aren't offering the new speakers. If I don't like the Ascends, I'll send em right back. I'm upgrading from an old Yamaha HTIB speaker system, I highly doubt the new tweeter is gonna be a make or break deal for me here. :)

Lee Bailey
12-13-2005, 06:22 AM
Looks like you made a good decision on your purchase. I would have suggested the SVS 25-31 sub (mainly because I love mine!), as a unit that works very well with the Ascends. Though I've heard no complaints about the HSU units either. As for the SE units, you can always upgrade later if you want, though you'll still enjoy the 340s in their current state.

kidsmoke
12-14-2005, 09:02 PM
Looks like you made a good decision on your purchase. I would have suggested the SVS 25-31 sub (mainly because I love mine!), as a unit that works very well with the Ascends. Though I've heard no complaints about the HSU units either. As for the SE units, you can always upgrade later if you want, though you'll still enjoy the 340s in their current state.

That is a nice looking sub. I'm sure my cats would love it as well. :D For all the wrong reasons unfortunately.

kidsmoke
12-20-2005, 11:16 PM
Call me an idiot. Why would Ascend sale a system package for cheaper than they do individual products? Had I purchased system 33-3 it would have been cheaper, even though I basically ordered system 33-3, just seperately. And the stand / 340 package deal. How is $648 a $40 saving off of a $548 and $100 product? :confused: Time to find out how their customer service department resolves issues. :mad:

curtis
12-20-2005, 11:40 PM
The stands alone are $140.

Did you order all your speakers at the same time? Online or on the phone?

kidsmoke
12-21-2005, 09:24 AM
Ordered everything online at the same time. I didn't realize they even sold "packages." I was looking for some info last night and happened to notice. I see what you are saying about the stands, missed the fine print there.

curtis
12-21-2005, 09:58 AM
I just looked on the purchase page....looks like package systems are listed.

Give Ascend a call....I'd bet they'll give you the package the pricing.

kidsmoke
12-21-2005, 08:37 PM
Ascend is good people. :) More than willing to credit any difference in price. Speakers arrived today, I've got the next week off so I'm looking forward to spending some time with my new toys.

kidsmoke
12-22-2005, 10:38 AM
This is easily one of the better purchases I've made in my life. I came home from work this morning (work overnights), and decided to at least hook up the 340 mains and the sub and give them a quick listen before heading to bed. Almost 4 hours later and I still haven't made it to bed. Not bright or fatiguing at all. One album that I've found to be almost unbearable on crappy speakers is "Funeral" by Arcade Fire. Sounds great on the Ascends. I listen to Wilco alot. I think I have 4 Wilco cd's in my car changer out of the 6 it holds. I listened to Yankee Hotel Foxtrot and it was easily the most enjoyable listening session I've had with that album. It's nice to be excited about music again, I haven't listened to music like this since I was in high school. :)

bikeman
12-22-2005, 11:07 AM
It's nice to be excited about music again, I haven't listened to music like this since I was in high school. :)
:cool:

David

jcookson
12-22-2005, 12:18 PM
I'll second that. The entire YHF album sounds great on the Ascends. Especially the noise loops :D

My favorite Wilco song on the Ascends has to be "at least that's what you said." When the song finally kicks in it literally kicks you right in the chest.

Glad to hear there's another wilco fan out there enjoying their music on the ascends!

I listen to Wilco alot. I think I have 4 Wilco cd's in my car changer out of the 6 it holds. I listened to Yankee Hotel Foxtrot and it was easily the most enjoyable listening session I've had with that album. It's nice to be excited about music again, I haven't listened to music like this since I was in high school. :)