PDA

View Full Version : new speakers to match my 340c

sls7u
12-08-2005, 11:11 AM
I've started to slowly upgrade my HT equipment, starting with a 340c "classic" that purchased ~4 months ago. I am currently in the market for matching fronts and a sub.
I live in a spacious "L-shaped" apartment, and my system is in the short arm of the L (i.e. is open completely to the rest of the apartment on one side). The dimensions of the HT area are approx 10' x 13', the long part of the L is approx 12' x 50' and our ceilings are 13' or so (man i hope this all makes sense).
So here are my questions: 1) should I get the matching classic 340 fronts or hold out for the not-much-more-expensive SE's? (or, has someone paired the 340c with other manufacturer's fronts and had better results?) 2) What sub (ascend or other - Onix? SVS? Outlaw?) would you recommend for now. I'm looking to spend ~$1100 for the fronts and sub.

Thanks!
Steve

Quinn
12-08-2005, 11:26 AM
How much music to HT do you do? How much bass will your apartment neighbors tolerate?

sls7u
12-08-2005, 11:31 AM
I would say my usage would be 55% TV, 25%video games, 10% DVDs and 10% music. I live in a corner apartment and, despite having a 2yo girl, my only neighbors have only asked me turn down the music once, and that was when I had a party (i.e. they're pretty tolerant). Thanks in advance for the advice.

BGHD
12-08-2005, 03:40 PM
Might catch some deals on some B-stock or used classic 340s. If it were me, I'd upgrade the 340c and get 340SEs then spend the rest on a sub. You're lucky in that you'd have only 1 speaker to upgrade, where many here are thinking of upgrading their whole set.

Hsu, SVS, Outlaw seem to all be quite popular subs. Seems like most people here have SVS or Hsu though. Aesthetics-wise, the Hsu matte black is a perfect match for the Ascends, if that's important to you.

sls7u
12-08-2005, 08:12 PM
does "upgrading" involve paying full price for a new center channel, or is ascend giving discounts if you have a Classic. If so, I'd rather just buy new fronts (classic or SE) to match my 340c.

Mag_Neato
12-09-2005, 05:40 AM
You'd probably be fine with mating your 340c with the new 340SE mains. OTOH, Ascend will be offering upgrades on the "Classic" 340's as in sending in the speakers so they can swap out components and modify the 340's port for the lower tuning. I am looking into having my 170's upgraded, but all that requires is driver & X-over replacement....the cabinet remains the same.

As for subs......try to stay with a quality sub(Hsu, SVS, Onix Rocket, etc.) as you want one that will not degrade the Ascend sound. My UFW-10 blends very well and is unobtrusive, and is fast enough to keep up with the mains.

sensibull
12-09-2005, 05:51 AM
OTOH, Ascend will be offering upgrades on the "Classic" 340's as in sending in the speakers so they can swap out components and modify the 340's port for the lower tuning.

There seems to be some confusion on this. Unless things have changed, the 340s will not be modified but entirely replaced/traded-in for the the new 340SEs. Upgraded 170s, on the other hand, will simply have the woofer, driver, and crossover replaced. Both upgrades will cost significantly less than buying the new models outright.

Mag_Neato
12-09-2005, 06:41 AM
There seems to be some confusion on this. Unless things have changed, the 340s will not be modified but entirely replaced/traded-in for the the new 340SEs. Upgraded 170s, on the other hand, will simply have the woofer, driver, and crossover replaced. Both upgrades will cost significantly less than buying the new models outright.

Not being a 340 owner........I stand corrected! :o

sls7u
12-09-2005, 07:11 AM
so I just ship them my 340c and they'll send me a SE version for free??? If so, that is top-notch customer service (and it makes my decisions a whole lot easier).

curtis
12-09-2005, 07:16 AM
so I just ship them my 340c and they'll send me a SE version for free??? If so, that is top-notch customer service (and it makes my decisions a whole lot easier).
No...there is a cost difference(upgrade price). Call Ascend for details.

sls7u
12-09-2005, 07:33 AM
well, it's still nice that they give some discount to prior owners. I'll find out the specifics from them. Maybe they can give some insight into how the SE fronts would pair with a classic center too. Thanks for all your help.