PDA

View Full Version : HTM-200's as main?

KPFury
12-02-2005, 06:44 AM
I'm trying to build my first HT system, and was wondering how the HTM-200's would perform as mains (mated w/ a sub of course and a Panny XR55.)

I was thinking about getting a pair of HTM-200's and a sub now, and pre-ordering a pair of 170SE's for later. When the 170SE's arrive, I can move the 200's to the rear. Also, could I live w/o the center channel for a few months until I get the 170SE's?

Speaking of the center channel, would a 170 or 200 serve as a center channel well enough, or is the 340C really that much better? My room is about 15x15, carpeted, few windows, and lots of err... natural bass traps I guess you can say.

Since I'll be using the 170SE's as mains, maybe a 170 center ch. would match better? The difference will be about $115 btwn the 170 center and the 340C. This would be for 60% music 40% movies.

bikeman
12-02-2005, 08:30 AM
I'm trying to build my first HT system, and was wondering how the HTM-200's would perform as mains (mated w/ a sub of course and a Panny XR55.)
I didn't hook the 200's up as mains to my XR55 but I did use them as mains with my Onkyo stereo receiver for a short trial. With a sub they would be fine as Mains. It's a lotta speaker in a small package.

I was thinking about getting a pair of HTM-200's and a sub now, and pre-ordering a pair of 170SE's for later. When the 170SE's arrive, I can move the 200's to the rear. Also, could I live w/o the center channel for a few months until I get the 170SE's?
Should not be a problem. I wouldn't hesitate to do this.

Speaking of the center channel, would a 170 or 200 serve as a center channel well enough, or is the 340C really that much better? My room is about 15x15, carpeted, few windows, and lots of err... natural bass traps I guess you can say.
The 340 is that much better. No question but it depends on how you set the center speaker up that really counts. The 200 is more versitile.

Since I'll be using the 170SE's as mains, maybe a 170 center ch. would match better? The difference will be about $115 btwn the 170 center and the 340C. This would be for 60% music 40% movies.
I can't answer this one. I don't own 170's.

David

KPFury
12-02-2005, 09:03 AM
Very informative response, thanks David :) I think I will go w/ the 340C, no regrets! Now if only I could get thru to an Ascend salesmen to place an order for the 170SE...

BGHD
12-02-2005, 02:53 PM
Can't speak for the SEs, but I had 170s w/ a 340c and worked fine. No regrets going with the 340c for me.

Down
12-03-2005, 02:27 PM
Thanks to my my procrastination on purchasing stuff, I'm using 200's as mains right now. I'm still trying to decide between 170se and 340se's.

Right now it's 200's as mains, phantome center, a pb10 and some 2-way Pioneers I picked up for<$20 at CC. Sounds pretty damn good.

Those 200's are a lotta speaker for the price/size.

GodsMadClown
12-04-2005, 08:18 PM
You might just end up wanting the 340's, especially with the Panny XR-55 so that you can play with bi-amping. I've been curious to audition this particular combo. Anyhow, get the HTM-200s. They dont suck.

KPFury
12-04-2005, 09:40 PM
I was going to order the HTM-200's and just use them as the mains until the 170SE's become available, at which point I would retire the 200's to surround duties.

But I am kinda sweatin' the new 340SE's, especially if they can hit the lower frequencies. Does anyone know what the new frequency response would be and just how low the 340SE's can go? Also, what is the minimum distance the speakers need to be from walls (back and side)?

S_rangeBrew
12-05-2005, 07:41 AM
I've been using HTM-200 for mains in a 2.1 system for almost a year.

They are great speakers with a subwoofer. I think the sealed design and the small woofers give them a very "tight" sound. Take a look at the "Cumulative Spectral Decay" chart measurements. Between 400 and 1000hz the HTM-200s are BETTER than the 340 and 170! (ok, I'm ready for the beatdown on that statement... :D )

I'm really wrestling with what to get for my full 7.1 system when my house is finished. The HTM-200s sound great, are small and easy to place anywhere and I'm a big fan of matching speakers. However, a center channel does need to be more dynamic (louder) because much of the sound that was going to both left and right feeds into the center channel. This makes the 340c sound like a good idea. Also, the fact that the 340 and 170 got the updated tweeter and the 200 did not, makes me think the 200 might be even futher behind in performance now.

Anyway, I think I'm going to test one of my current HTM-200s as a center speaker with some movies and music at loud volumes. If it sounds good, I'll just get all HTM-200s for my 7.1 system. If it can't handle it and sound muddy or distorted, I'll go with 170's and a 340c up front.

No matter what, I'm pretty sure it'll sound better than a B*se Acoustimass, for a bit less money. :)

svenyun
12-10-2005, 12:04 PM
But I am kinda sweatin' the new 340SE's, especially if they can hit the lower frequencies. Does anyone know what the new frequency response would be and just how low the 340SE's can go? Also, what is the minimum distance the speakers need to be from walls (back and side)?

Because you will have a sub, and the lowest crossover freq available on the Panasonic is 80hz, the lower bass response of the 340's may not be necessary anyway if you always run the sub. I have the xr55 and five 170's and an SVS PB10. I run the sub with movies and music with the xr55, they blend very well. Using the sub with music also allows you to trim the sub level between discs to allow for poor production or mixing practices.

I know the new SE's are supposed to be a better all around speaker, but it really is hard for me to imagine an improvement over what I currently have :) I will probably upgrade sometime after the first of the year.

bikeman
12-10-2005, 01:29 PM
I know the new SE's are supposed to be a better all around speaker, but it really is hard for me to imagine an improvement over what I currently have :) I will probably upgrade sometime after the first of the year.
I believe the new 340SE's are in direct response to customers like me who perfer to listen to music without a sub. Dave F. has stated in the past he kinda likes that arrangement himself. For movies, I'm not expecting to get any substanative benefit from the SE's over my 340's but for music, without a sub, I have real expectations. Knowing Dave F. has those same expectations, I'm pretty comfortable with placing my order sound unheard.

David