PDA

View Full Version : Any opinons on Hsu Stf-2 vs. Vtf-2

MrTomasulo
11-05-2005, 04:27 AM
My main cocern in deciding is which would sound better with music, as opposed to HT. Would the VTF be better in this regard (worth the extra cash)?

By the way, finally took the plunge and put in an order for a new Ascend system (340s, 170s...b-stock, so I'll have to wait just a bit)!

Lou-the-dog
11-05-2005, 03:38 PM
By the way, finally took the plunge and put in an order for a new Ascend system (340s, 170s...b-stock, so I'll have to wait just a bit)!

Way to go MrTomasulo! You'll LIKE this system. As far as the subs go I can't help much.

Randy

TomK
11-08-2005, 06:15 AM
MrTomasulo,
I just ordered a pair of CMT-340s and an STF-2 subwoofer. I may be completely wrong but I just didn't think the extra $100 was worth it for the variable tuning. Yes, there is more power but 50 watts would not make a big difference. Now moving up to the STF-3 would be the way to go. But I just don't have the room.
Tom

lei@forum
11-08-2005, 06:35 AM
I went with STF-2 instead of VTF-2 mainly because of limited budget.
Couldn't justify spending another $100 for the variable tuning because
I thought I would be running it at the bass extension mode anyway.
It turned out to be great. In my 2400 cu.ft. room, the gain dial on
my STF-2 is set at less than 1/4 of the max level.

BTW, another good thing about VTF-2, if you are considering it, is the
possibility of using a turbo add-on module to greatly enhance its
output, while STF-2 is not compatible with the turbo. It does not have
much value for me since I was more concerned with extension and
music than output - I actually considered STF-3 but eventually went
with STF-2 to save some money as well as space. I am happy with
my decision.

By the way, I have 340s across the front and a pair of 170s as surround.

MrTomasulo
11-08-2005, 11:37 AM
Thanks guys. I actually ended going with the VTF-2 (b-stock). I liked the way the VTF's looked, didn't mind having more power, and didn't want any regrets. Plus I got b-stock and saved quite a bit.

Now I just have to wait for it to arrive.

I plan on AB'ing the setup with an HK 435 and a Yamaha HTR 5860. I'll report back with how it goes!

TomK
11-08-2005, 02:54 PM
That should be interesting for me as I just bought the HTR-5860. So far I do not in any way regret the decision. I had read many good things about Yamaha's DSP. There is a review of the Yamaha RX-657 in the Sept. issue of Sound and Vision Magazine. If you check it out at Yamaha's web site you will find it has the exact same parts as the 5860. But...right now they are only hooked up to 2 speakers. Can't wait to fire it up with surround and the Hsu sub.

Tom

P.S. If you decide that you like the HK better please don't tell me.

lei@forum
11-08-2005, 09:36 PM
That should be interesting for me as I just bought the HTR-5860. So far I do not in any way regret the decision. I had read many good things about Yamaha's DSP. There is a review of the Yamaha RX-657 in the Sept. issue of Sound and Vision Magazine. If you check it out at Yamaha's web site you will find it has the exact same parts as the 5860. But...right now they are only hooked up to 2 speakers. Can't wait to fire it up with surround and the Hsu sub.

Tom

P.S. If you decide that you like the HK better please don't tell me.

IIRC 5860 is very close to RX-657 except it doesn't do room EQ w/ its YPAO.

MrTomasulo
11-09-2005, 08:17 AM
IIRC 5860 is very close to RX-657 except it doesn't do room EQ w/ its YPAO.

I thought YPAO was room EQ. It's not?

lei@forum
11-09-2005, 08:55 AM
I thought YPAO was room EQ. It's not?

I was researching EQ capabilities that come with different receiver models
sometime back, when I was shopping for a receiver. I came across a thread
at avs forum that talks about YPAO differences among yamaha receiver
models.

Here is a link to the thread (http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=585630&referrerid=7526854)

TomK
11-09-2005, 10:48 AM
According to the HTR-5860 manual it only does a parametric EQ on the center speaker. I was dissapointed reading that as I thought it did an EQ on ALL speakers. :( Oh well, hopefully I won't need it.

Tom

Since writing this my 5860 has died. No sound at all. Nothing. I will be sending it back to be replaced.

TomK
11-10-2005, 02:24 PM
Since my last post the Yamaha HTR-5860 died. It was playing music at a low volume when it suddenly went silent. No clouds of smoke, acrid odor of insulation burning or noise just silence. I let it cool down (was just warm if that) tried it again but nothing. So it is going back to B&H to be replaced. Has anyone else had any trouble with a 5860. I know of 2 people who have Yamahas and have had no trouble whatsoever. I guess somebody has to get a lemon by why me?

Tom