PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for a 7.1 System?

ScottN
10-30-2005, 05:43 PM
I am new to your site and am in the process of upgrading, I just purchased the Denon AVR3806 and a new Sony HDTV and want to add appropriate speakers primarily for Movie Viewing. A friend steered me to the Ascend line.
The room is almost square (19 x19) with 9 ft ceilings and wood floors. There is a u shaped couch across the back wall and half up one side. I see very little mentioned for 7.1 systems, everyone seems to be in the 5.1 mode. Do I want to use the 7.1 technology of this AVR or not? I obviously want to use 340's across the front, what about the rest? What would be the ideal setup? Should I wait on one of the new Hsu subs coming out soon? Thanks for your input!

BGHD
10-30-2005, 09:11 PM
So, couch will be about 18+' from TV? Sounds kinda far unless your TV's huge. 7.1 probably wont work unless you move the couch away from the back wall. Wall mount some 170s for surrounds. Unless you absolutely can't live w/o a sub for a couple months, why not wait to see about the hype of the HOs?

bikeman
10-31-2005, 03:40 AM
I'd talk to Ascend and provide them with a diagram of your room. The square shape of the room could be problem so I hesitate adding my two cents on this one. Let us know what you decide.

David

ScottN
10-31-2005, 05:28 AM
So, couch will be about 18+' from TV? Sounds kinda far unless your TV's huge. 7.1 probably wont work unless you move the couch away from the back wall. Wall mount some 170s for surrounds. Unless you absolutely can't live w/o a sub for a couple months, why not wait to see about the hype of the HOs?

I've a 60" T.V. and a projector with a 106" screen, so the viewing is fine, it's my sound that needs work. I currently have mismatched speakers in 5.1 config and have just upgraded to a better receiver and want to upgrade the sound though matched speakers. If I go to ascend's site and use their system selection guide, it recommends 350's all the way around for a large room. However, on this forum, it appears most use the 170's.

Has anyone ever converted a 5.1 system into a 7.1 system by just adding 2 additional matching speakers, and if so, did it make much of a difference with the sound?

Thanks!

Scott

lei@forum
11-01-2005, 08:08 AM
I don't see how you can setup 7.1 with your couch against the back wall.
For 5.1, 340 all around will be ideal - I got 170s as surrounds but if $$$
is not issue will certainly go with an all-340 setup, it will also help if
you do multi-channel music.

curtis
11-01-2005, 09:39 AM
If I go to ascend's site and use their system selection guide, it recommends 350's all the way around for a large room. However, on this forum, it appears most use the 170's.

Has anyone ever converted a 5.1 system into a 7.1 system by just adding 2 additional matching speakers, and if so, did it make much of a difference with the sound?
Where does it recommend 340's all the way around?

I have gone from a 5.1 to a 7.1 in a 14x18 room. Not a very big gain IMO....it is nicer of course, but nothing to write home about.

dae3dae3
11-01-2005, 04:29 PM
I would think that since your seating position is going to be against a wall it would be difficult to go 7.1 properly. In a 7.1 system there are 3 in the front, 2 to the side of the seating position, 2 rears, and a sub. 3+2+2+.1=7.1

Where would you place the rear speakers if you are against the wall? I don't think you would get much benefit. A 5.1 system isn't ideal either with a seating position against the wall but it is something you may have to just deal with and set it up as well as you can.

mattepntr
11-01-2005, 11:14 PM
I think it would be extra difficult to use 170's or 340's in your
situation (for rear surrounds in a 7.1 config) as both speakers
need to be mounted a few inches away from the wall. HTM-200's
could work better, however with your seating against the back wall,
they would be firing over your head. 170's or 340's would probably
work as side surrounds. I knew a few folks here who have found
ceiling mounted speakers that are a pretty good match with the
170's.

Rick