PDA

View Full Version : Setup Opinions

Kodaz
10-26-2005, 08:08 PM
Hi,

I am looking at getting the following equipment to go in my dedicated HT room when it finally gets finished. The room is 17x13x8 feet.

I am looking at the following:

Fronts - CMT340 Main
Center - CMT340 Center
Surrounds - CMT340 Main x2 pair
Sub - Paradigm Servo 15 (already own)

Receiver - Denon AVR-3805
DVD - Denon DVD-3910

Projector - Panasonic PT-AE900U
Screen - 110" Fixed

Now I am still partially undecided on the two following things:

1) Whether the Denon gear is a good match with the Ascend speakers, and;

2) Whether it is worth while getting the CMT340's as surround or whether the CBM170's would match the front CMT340's fine.

Can anyone help with the two questions?

Thanks

bikeman
10-27-2005, 04:15 AM
Do you listen to multi-channel music (DVD-A, SACD)? If so the 340's would be nice. If not, there'll be limited benefit. That's a heck of a set-up you're putting together. In a room that size, it'll be just the other side of awesome.

David

BGHD
10-27-2005, 09:35 AM
That's probably a lot of peoples' dream system. Myself, I didn't care too much of a Denon 2805 I tried (the HK I had just sounded better, more oomph). But, I don't have a 3910 and the 3805 is supposed to be a big step above the 2805. Lots of happy Denon owners here, so I think that'll work great.

If primarily for movies, IMO optimally placed wall-mounted 170s surrounds would sound better than floorstanding 340s. Others will disagree, but you're not giving up much going w/ 170s instead of 340s, esp as surrounds and if HT is the primary use. I think this question would deserve a call to Ascend for recos.

Kodaz
10-27-2005, 03:44 PM
Do you listen to multi-channel music (DVD-A, SACD)?

At the moment all I have is a 2 channel system, Paradigm Studio 100's, Nad pre and power. I would like to listen to multi-channel music and my CD collection in multi-channel as well.

An option could be to use the unique Denon feature of being able to have a set of normal surrounds (170's) then a pair of music surrounds (340's) and switch between them.

I am trying to do this once do it right, although the upgrade bug could bite.