View Full Version : Pro amps

mv1612
10-26-2005, 03:09 PM
Just curious. I know that you guys usually drive your Ascends with receivers. Anyone considering professional amplifiers? CHEAP for their power and very, very strong. The likes of Crown, Carver, Hafler, BGW... Extremely interesting thread here...
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=418666&page=1&pp=30&highlight=pro+amps

I know that Ascend speakers are quite efficient but it seems that you never have too much power :) . I was just wandering how the 340s would sound with such an amplifier. The guys there are reporting HUGE improvements in their speaker's sound after switching for such a beast.

Virgil.

bikeman
10-26-2005, 05:08 PM
Just curious. I know that you guys usually drive your Ascends with receivers. Anyone considering professional amplifiers? CHEAP for their power and very, very strong. The likes of Crown, Carver, Hafler, BGW... Extremely interesting thread here...
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=418666&page=1&pp=30&highlight=pro+amps

I know that Ascend speakers are quite efficient but it seems that you never have too much power :) . I was just wandering how the 340s would sound with such an amplifier. The guys there are reporting HUGE improvements in their speaker's sound after switching for such a beast.Virgil.
I wouldn't get huge improvements with "such a beast." Heck, I wouldn't get any improvement. More power would be a waste in my situation. If your room dictates more power, these are an option. I haven't read the thread and don't plan to but more power can have some effect is some situations. If someone hears a "huge" improvement, it may not be the equipment providing the improvement in the first place.
This discussion has been going on since the dawn of hi-fi. Same stuff, different day. We'll still be having this discussion 30 years from now.

David

mv1612
10-27-2005, 08:32 AM
Yeah, my post was indeed naive, I didn't realise it was such a long debate. I just discovered it and got overexcited. Sorry about that.

Virgil.

BGHD
10-27-2005, 09:54 AM
You're not naive. You're just asking a question.

I too have 'tried' following that "Amp making me grin from ear to ear" thread and am curious about adding an amp. From my limited/knowledge research on the topic, adding an amp to a low wattage system will give you more 'headroom.' My understanding of 'headroom' is that more wattage will allow your system to better handle dynamic changes in sound (e.g. an explosion during a movie, etc). Please correct me if my thinking is wrong.

But, as bikeman has mentioned, it probably will depend if your room 'needs' it. My smallish room probably doesn't and I haven't noticed a problem even at loud levels. But it's just fun to consider upgrade options, so I might test out my friends old 5ch Adcom amp in my system some day to see if I notice a smidgeon of difference.

Mag_Neato
10-27-2005, 11:10 AM
In one of my past system configurations I ran a Rotel 60Wx2 amp for my mains, the amp section of a NAD 40Wx2 integrated for my surrounds, and a Samson 50Wx2/120Wx1 pro amp for the center. The NAD integrated was the control center, with an add-on Pro-Logic decoder(Kenwood). I ran the main preouts to my subs crossover which filtered out the low bass before reaching the Rotel, and the center/surrounds as small. The Samson was run bridged at 120W for the center. I'm not sure if it was due to the bridged mode or not, but I got an audible buzz from the center. As far as stereo sound quality, for $180 Vs. $400 for the Rotel, it was nearly identical with a bit less dynamics, or not as "loud" overall. It was built like a tank and had a toroidal transformer. The Rotel was dual-mono, basically two mono amps in one chassis, with two seperate power transformers(not toroid).

I think pro amps offer good value, but the cosmetics are not geared towards home use.

bikeman
10-27-2005, 04:15 PM
Yeah, my post was indeed naive, I didn't realise it was such a long debate. I just discovered it and got overexcited. Sorry about that.
Virgil.
Your post wasn't naive in the least. People who been in the hobby since the Charge of the Light Brigade still get "overexcited" about this. I was once (and for quite a while) in search of audio nirvana. That's not my goal anymore and that has influenced how I perceive things that enhance the audio experience.
There's a strong psychological component to anything we feel passionate about. That component is just as real as if it had solely an external source. I just don't agree with folks who feel what they hear can be attributed solely to something outside themselves (i.e. amps, cd players, etc).
The same thing applies to speakers with one big exception. We all hear diffences with speakers. The preceived differences vary tremendously but the differences are heard by just about all of us. With components, some folks don't hear any difference between them while others hear night and day differences with the same components.
It's best to take the time and judge for yourself where you fit in on the continuum. Everybody's journey is different.

David

mv1612
10-28-2005, 12:38 PM
I suppose things just have to be tried and then decided upon. I think these amps are a good choice for speakers with low sensitivity and impedance, there are lots such speakers on the market, but Ascends are obviously not the speakers to require such power. It's still an interesting issue...

David, I liked your post. "Everybody's journey is different." How true is this!! I've yet to decide between speaker's and studio monitor's route, but don't have money for either... I have a friend who has the money, but cannot be convinced that there are things that would give him better loudness and bass ( the way he likes to listen) than his Logitech 5500 computer speakers :( .

So each with his own route...

Cheers, Virgil.