PDA

View Full Version : hello old Ascend friends!

twalker294
10-21-2005, 07:43 AM
I was on the old forum and when it went away I was quite disappointed. I just found the new forum and I'm happy again!

OK, my first question on the new forum. What input mode does everyone use for listening to music? I have an Integra DTR-5.3 receiver and I have found that the good ole regular stereo mode (only powering the two fronts and the sub,) sounds best. I am also amazed at how well my two front CBM-170s can fill my 18x20 foot room. I've tried the ProLogic Music mode and the Neo6 Music mode but they both sound a little muddy and lack the excellent clarity that I get from the standard stereo mode.

Thoughts?

Todd

Mag_Neato
10-21-2005, 08:13 AM
Welcome back, twalker!

I run my Pioneer 563a universal player via digital coax, and prefer good ol' 2-channel stereo for CD's as well. I run an Outlaw 1050 receiver powering 170's with a Rocket UFW-10 handling the bass.

The 170's do put out a lot of sound in my 13'x 18' room, especially when used with a powered sub.

OT, it seems that Ascend has good enough products that they are not compelled to bring out "Mark II" versions,etc.........I am glad. A certain other company seems like they're on a mission to bring out the next "Flavor-of-the-month", trying to cover every price point. They are confusing their customer base and, in a way, "obsoleting" their own products. Ascend could easily follow this business model, but I am happy in knowing that the same model 170 I've had for 3 years is still being sold today, unchanged.

Dave could very easily generate additional sales by introducing new models, but the existing models are so good it is not necessary to replace them.

The side effect of this model stability is high resale value on the used market.

.....we now return you to our regularly scheduled program!

tamuct
10-21-2005, 09:11 AM
On my HK AVR635 I will use 2-channel for CDs and the radio. I usually fire up the Logic7 for watching standard def TV. I find it does a pretty good job interpolating 2ch. to 5.

For HD content, football in 1080 lines of resolution in 5.1 Dolby digital is awesome!

bikeman
10-21-2005, 09:40 AM
I am also amazed at how well my two front CBM-170s can fill my 18x20 foot room. I've tried the ProLogic Music mode and the Neo6 Music mode but they both sound a little muddy and lack the excellent clarity that I get from the standard stereo mode.
Thoughts?
Todd

Welcome back, Todd. I use all the options on my receiver but the one I like best for CD's is two channel, either digital or analog. I've even taken the sub out of the equation and run the 340's full range. I still use the sub for movies.

David

curtis
10-21-2005, 09:54 AM
Welcome back Todd!

For music CDs, I am also a 2 channel guy...with and without a sub....right now it is with.

For TV, it is Dolby ProLogicIIx.

Anything recorded and/or transmitted via DD5.1, and that is what I will use.

I prefer DTS over DD most of the time.

Quinn
10-21-2005, 10:03 AM
Music is 2-channel for me.

metalaaron
10-21-2005, 10:25 AM
my music is in stereo mode.

i use pro logic iix when i watch tv. you may be happy with the logic/neo music modes on channels such as pbs whenever they air a concert, but i wouldn't use these modes for stereo CDs. it just sounds artificial to me. i think those modes are best for television content which adds the visual aspect of entertainment. multi-channel music is pretty cool, but i still prefer a soundstage.

shane55
10-21-2005, 10:47 PM
Stereo mostly. As with Curtis... sometimes with, sometimes without the sub.
My Denon 3805 has some great settings for music, depending on the type, listening environment, and desire.

2-ch stereo w/sub is great for most types. Often however, I'll listen to "5-Chanel Stereo". This is Denons way of sending the same signal to the front and rear left, and to the front and rear right. It can be biased so that it's mostly in the front, and it gives one a great sense of being enveloped in the music. It's not 'purist', but it's my favorite way of listening to most music.

Being that I do not own any SACD or DVD-A player, I never... never use any of the 'surround' modes as I find too much is directed to the center chanel and it really screws-up the separation and clarity for me. (Agreeing completely w/ Todd on this)

Then, there is 'Direct Mode' which is purely 2.0 stereo (no sub) without any processing or tonal adjustments applied. Straight DAC usage from the Coax. The 340's up front do a very good job, but it can't be used with music that has driving bass, as the 340's only go down so far.

Cheers.

shane

twalker294
11-05-2005, 03:52 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone. Good to see that most people prefer 2-ch for music -- means my ears must still work pretty well ;-)

Todd

Nicholas Mosher
11-05-2005, 11:31 PM
For movies I use the digital out from my optical player to my pre/pro and use basic DD5.1 or DTS processing.

For 2ch/SACD/DVD-A I use the analog output of my optical player to my pre/pro, with my pre/pro in bypass and an analog 80hz crossover engaged.

Jonnyozero3
11-07-2005, 07:50 AM
Hi Todd, welcome back.

With my CBM-170s and my HK 435, I run CDs exclusively in 2ch mode over dig coax (to use the 435's DACs), but do have a couple hi-res DVD-A/SACD discs that I try out, but all my favorite music is on CD.

I do use Logic 7 or PLIIx for TV, and then run movies in whatever I feel like (usually PLIIx or DD-EX, DTS-ES, etc).

Sub currently is a Rocket UFW-10, but will soon be a Hsu VTF-3HO Turbo.