PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice

Sam AV
10-09-2005, 04:30 PM
Sorry to link to another forum, but you need to see my layout to help with my decision, and the file is too big to attach here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=589605

I am looking for some help with my HT system. I'm attaching a layout of the room and would like opinions on speaker type and locations. My budget for speakers is $2000 - $3000, including sub.

I'm also looking for a new av receiver, and am leaning towards a Denon 3805/3806, but I am certainly open to suggestions.

Anyway, a brief description of the room and some specific questions:

- The floor is stamped concrete (looks like ceramic tile), with multiple area rugs.
- The TV is about 4'-5' up, over the fireplace.
- There is a bookshelf and cabinets at the back of the room, one cabinet is for a/v
- I have wiring run to allow for a 7.1 system if desired

Questions:

1. I haven't heard them, but am interested in the Ascend system with 340s across the front and either the 200s in the back (or ceiling) or flush ceiling speakers. I'd go with the VTF3-MKII sub. Would this be enough to properly handle this room?

2. How about the Rocket 750's instead?

3. Should I go with 5.1 or 7.1?

4. If 5.1, do the speakers need to go to the sides or the back of the room? If I go with a non-flush speaker, I would need to try and mount them closer to the back of the room.

5. What about speakers by Paradigm or Polk? Any others I should consider?

I will use the system for 75% HT and 25% audio (mainly two channel). I'd appeciate any other suggestions and/or advice.

Eddie Horton
10-09-2005, 04:46 PM
First thing, welcome to the forum. The Denon receiver you mentioned will do the job just fine for just about whatever speakers you choose. Now, I'll try to answer your questions one at a time.
1. The 340's with 200's for surrounds would sound superb. I'd mount the surrounds instead of going in-ceiling if it were me. The VTF3-MkII should work well in your large room. I have one and love it.
2. Personally, I can't think of a better, flatter, more neutral speaker than the Ascends although the Rockets certainly have a faithful following.
3. In that big of a room, you might as well go 7.1.
4. In 5.1 the speakers would go to the side of the listening position. Check out www.dolbylabs.com for diagrams for all kind of speaker placement.
5. A friend of mine has a Paradigm setup with Monitor 9's, a CC, and MiniMonitor surrounds with a Velodyne sub of some sort. Personally, I thought my Ascends thoroughly whipped them, and even my friend gave the nod to my system.

I have the 340's across the front with 170's as surrounds with the VTF3-MkII sub. The 340's are powered with Outlaw 200 watt monoblocks, and my surrounds and processing duties are handled by a Yamaha HTR-5790. I'm very pleased with my system.

FibreKid
10-10-2005, 07:45 AM
Before your start thinking about 5.1 vs 7.1 becuase of room size you need to think about how loud you want to go. Running 7.1 will reduce your volume just a tad.
http://www.audioholics.com/productreviews/avhardware/Denon-AVR3805_review10.php

Many vendors do this.
Good luck.

-john

3805-> 340s across the front and htm200 rears