PDA

View Full Version : Looking at buying Ascend Speakers

J.A.P
11-18-2003, 11:07 PM
I have the Denon AVR-2802 and it sounds great. It's a little complicated to set up but with a little patience and time you'll figure it out. It can be had for under $500 at http://www.6ave.com/cat_detail.jsp?a=audio&st=search&d=86&s=Surround%20Sound if the link didn't work it's at 6ave.com. They are an authorized Denon E-tailer so there is a full factory warranty. You have to watch for that on alot of on-line retailers.

curtis
11-18-2003, 11:51 PM
If you take a look at the "name your gear" thread, can see what a lot of us are using:
http://www.ascendforum.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8

A lot of good receivers out there. I use the HK AVR525.

-curtis

Ben_Wood
11-19-2003, 03:49 AM
John, you can't go wrong with Denon, H/K, or Onkyo!

John_H
11-20-2003, 12:31 PM
I found a site that has an H/K DPR-1001 for $521.19. This is a receiver that has an msrp of $1495.99. I checked out the credentials of the web site. They are listed on H/K's web site as an authorized internet dealer. It will have the full manufacturer's warranty. My only question, will this receiver actually have too much power for these speakers? That's another thing I don't fully understand. Is it ok to get a receiver w/ a higher wattage rating that the speakers as long as you don't crank the volume all the way, or is too much wattage too much wattage no matter what?

BradJudy
11-20-2003, 12:52 PM
Well, it's 50W/channel and I'm many of us are using more than that, so I'd say no. That's a cool deal though - I might have picked that if it had been an option a year ago.

mattepntr
11-20-2003, 01:49 PM
I found this thread at AVS Forum. Scroll down to about the middle.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=5b9173c0d1151852f3b47a67a769247c&threadid=316148

Apparently, 6thAve (an authorized Denon e-tailer) is running
a very quiet deal on the Denon 3803 receiver. I know they're
coming out with the 3804 model in a few months. This is a GREAT
buy on an excellent receiver (compares favorably to Denon's
flagship 5803, but without the $4300.00 price tag!)

You can look at the specs here...

http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-VHMCh1NdrcV/ProdView.asp?I=033AVR3803

Rick

mattepntr
11-20-2003, 05:08 PM
From what I understand, higher-wattage amps/receivers are actually
better for speakers as they deliver a clean stable signal when
played at ALL volume levels, as well as handling the sudden
high-dynamic peak levels often found in film soundtracks (explosions,
et al.). Some Ascend owners are driving their speakers with major
power!
Maybe a good analogy is the quality of the gas you use in your car-
better gas doesn't make you go any faster, but your car runs cleaner
and lasts longer! Curtis, you recently upgraded to separates. Are you
listening to stuff at louder levels, or are you listening at the same
levels and getting better sound? Or both?

Rick

curtis
11-21-2003, 01:45 AM
Yes, I recently purchased a used ATI AT1505 power amp, 150wpc.

While I think my HK 525 is a great receiver, the amp has made some differences.

The bass is where I notice it the most. While it does not make the speakers play any deeper, they do play the bass with more authority...tight and clean. The rest of the range seems to be cleaner, and I can play at higher levels without distortion(I don't turn it up that loud often though). While these differences are subtle....they are noticeable.

I still use the HK 525 as the pre/pro. I would like to get a real pre/pro, but one with the features of the 525 is real expensive. I have to save my pennies.

It would be interesting for those that have been to my house to hear the speakers, to come by again and find out if they notice any differences.....although auditory memory is suppose to be pretty short.

-curtis

BradJudy
11-21-2003, 09:56 AM
One also shouldn't confuse the power output in watts with the capacitance capability. One of the things that makes bass powerful and tight with better amps is that they have larger capacitors capable of storing the charge required for those high current moments like strong bass.

Being able to play louder without distortion is another feature of better amps, but I don't reach a distortion level with my AVR-520, so it's not an issue for me.

curtis
11-21-2003, 02:30 PM
Thanks Brad!

The capacitors must be pretty big....because I can shut the amp off and music will still play for almost 5 seconds or so...depending on the volume.

-curtis