PDA

View Full Version : Ascend 340 vs Energy C5

EdMartin
09-21-2005, 07:49 AM
Hi, all!

A friend of mine came to my house to listen to (and to look :) ) my Ascend setup. His mains are a pair of Energy C5 speakers. He looked, and listened, and look and listened....... and say nothing. I played a Diana Krall DVD (Live in Paris) and a Josh Groban CD (Closer) that he brought in. For me the sound was spectacular.

After he left, I kept thinking that he did not like the Ascends or he considered them better than his C5. What do you think? Anyone has compared both speakers. Please, let me know.

Eduardo

Kurt C.
09-21-2005, 09:15 AM
Ed--I'm curious to know the answer to this too. Did your friend say anything? Perhaps the speakers were so evenly matched that he couldn't really decide which he liked better?

Actually, when I think about it a bit more, it may have been hard for him to do a real comparison. Although the music was the same, the room differences may be more significant to his ears than the differences between the 340s and the C-5s.

EdMartin
09-21-2005, 09:54 AM
Kurt:

He did not say anything that night. Two days after he commented to my son that he liked the sound of the Ascends, specially for the price. He payed for his complete speaker setup about $2,000, practically twice the price I payed for my b-stock Ascend setup. I totally agree with your comments.

Eduardo

JohnnyCasaba
09-21-2005, 10:06 AM
Ed,

Only way to really know what he thinks is to ask him, and tell him to be honest. It sounds like he was surprised by what he heard, but maybe he wasn't and did not want to hurt your feelings.

Jonnyozero3
09-22-2005, 06:56 PM
I have a friend with a pair of Klipsch RF-7s who pretty much freaked out when he listened to my CBM-170s. He kept talking about the imaging. Now, his Klipsch's can certainly rock out, and he still likes them as such (and he should), but just like your friend...he listened...and listened...and listened. Then he asked if Ascend made a floorstander :)