PDA

View Full Version : Surrounds (170's) cutting out?

sygyzy
09-17-2005, 01:44 AM
I cannot explain this but I have verified it. My friend and I were watching a recorded (ReplayTV) episode of Dave Matthews Band on VH1 and the sound kept cutting out. Since we had it at a comfortable level and I have two fronts and a center, my ears couldn't pick up on the 1/2 second drops that the right surround was making. It sounds like if someone was talking to you on the phone and they'd randomly cover the mouthpiece portion then remove their hand quickly. So we kept replaying the scenes and put our ears next to the speaker. Sure enough, you'd hear the music cut out.

This happened during live DirecTV feed too last night. It's very quick but it happens often. In a way it's sort of unnoticeable because you have 3-4 other speakers compensating.

Has anyone ever noticed this before? I think it might be an issue with the source (DirecTV or Replay) but my roomate's Eclipse + Denon setup never cut out.

I have a HK AVR-635 by the way.

Any ideas?

P.S. I've checked all the connections. Seem fine as far as I can tell.

Thanks,
David

Quinn
09-17-2005, 07:03 AM
Can you use your roommate's receiver to test if it is the source or receiver? THe speakers aren't going to be the reason. You can switch the speakers to a different channel to positively eliminate.

BradJudy
09-17-2005, 07:25 AM
Since just one channel is cutting out, I would suspect the receiver as the problem (or the speaker, but this doesn't sound like the type of problem a speaker would have). The source could only be the problem for one channel if you had a discrete output for that channel like on a DVD-A/SACD player. Since this is TV, I'm guessing its either DD 5.1 or DPLII processing on a stereo signal. Either way, the source couldn't really impact only that channel.

tamuct
09-17-2005, 09:24 AM
Since this is TV, I'm guessing its either DD 5.1 or DPLII processing on a stereo signal. Either way, the source couldn't really impact only that channel.

I also have an AVR-635 and have experience this with stereo TV recordings processed by the Logic7 presets in the receiver. I believe it has to do with the processing of the receiver on the (sometimes) poor audio from the television signal. When I start hearing audio drop-outs in the surround speakers while watching recorded programs I just switch the AVR to the surround off mode and listen in stereo.

sygyzy
02-27-2007, 09:18 PM
I am watching some TV right now, sitting right next to the SR speaker and this is getting really annoying. I can't brush this off anymore. There is clear distortion, cutting in and out, and just strangeness coming from the surrounds.

I just wanted to update this thread in case others are having this problem. I am going to try to test this on a different receiver or source if possible.

curtis
02-27-2007, 09:40 PM
It is probably the 635.

I would rotate the speakers to see if the problem follows the speaker, and also try a different AVR....but more than likely, you AVR has a problem with that channel.

audibleconnoisseur
02-28-2007, 05:30 AM
The speakers are designed to reproduce the source material fed to them. Unless there is a lose wire in them (which I doubt), it is most likely your 635. There have been a lot of issues with the 635 in my research. Either case, i can't rule out the spkeaker, but I would be 99% certain it is not the speaker unless it has been doing this from day one and there could be a lose wire? good luck and let us know the result.