PDA

View Full Version : The lesser of three evils...

sensibull
09-05-2005, 12:03 PM
OK, here's a puzzle for you crossover mavens. Obviously I can experiment and just go with what my ears tell me, but I'm curious what you guys think.

I'm currently using my 170s in a secondary, 2-channel setup that is powered by an old Denon Pro Logic receiver (AVR900), which has no crossover settings, but does have a full range mono "subwoofer" pre out jack. To compound matters, the only spare sub I have available is a smallish, passive Cambridge Soundworks unmated from their sub/sat Ensemble II package.

I contacted CS a while back and was told that the internal (unadjustable) crossover on the sub is at 140hz, which seems very high but then again the satellites were pretty tiny. The sub only has line level (speaker) input.

So basically I have three options, if I don't want to spend any more money (and I don't, so please don't suggest it).

1. Run the 170s alone. No true bottom end (which I could live with) but since my receiver has no crossover, am I risking damage to the 170s by feeding them a full-range signal, occasionally at 75db and above?

2. Run the passive sub in line with the 170s, using its crossover. I've done this already, and the sound is OK, but the 170s seem to be missing some of their mid-to-low end punch, assumingly due to the high crossover.

3. Same as #1 but use the subwoofer pre-out and find some really inexpensive way to power the sub, such as the Sonic Impact T-Amp (http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=300-952) I'm expecting for my b-day, which was originally going to be part of a long-term project to mod/refinish a Philco cathedral radio from the 50s into a standalone media player/amp/speaker system for my office. This, of course, carries the same question as #1 because I'd still be feeding the 170s a full-range signal.

If it were you, which option would you choose?

bikeman
09-05-2005, 02:00 PM
I have an Altec-Lansing 8" passive sub that has a built-in non-adjustable crossover that is set way too high (140 would be my guess). Only has line level imput.
When I got my Ascends, I moved my Mission 761's to my study. The 761's are similar in size to the 170's. I tried the A-L sub with the Missions. It sucked. I can't image there's anything I could do to make it not suck. If you try anything that you feel improves this situation, let me know. It's beyond me.
There is no reasonable way you can damage the 170's with a full range signal. Don't even worry about it.

David

sensibull
09-05-2005, 04:46 PM
Thanks for the reply, David. I'm one of those people that can't stand to see a purchase go unused, but in this case I may have to retire that passive sub...

BGHD
09-05-2005, 10:52 PM
Is there a cheap in-line mod to lower the crossover point of the sub? If not, for a secondary setup and not knowing anything about #3, I'd lean towards #1...but, with a future goal to purchase a new inexpensive sub.

sensibull
09-06-2005, 06:15 AM
Is there a cheap in-line mod to lower the crossover point of the sub?

I don't know. If there is, I'm hoping someone more knowledgeable than I will post and let me know.