PDA

View Full Version : Got HK DPR 2005 today..

Abhi
08-12-2005, 05:13 PM
..BRAND NEW at Fry's for $499! Couldn't resist it! I've used Panasonic XR25 before with my Ascend setup. Currently I'm using Denon 2802. I was looking at Panasonic XR55, but got this instead. I'll post my impressions in a few days.

BGHD
08-12-2005, 06:20 PM
Seems like a lot of people are jumping on this deal. Fry's is cleaning house it seems.

Eddie
08-12-2005, 07:19 PM
wow, $500 for the 2005, isn't that like half off MSRP?

I'm dying to hear the comparison with the xr-25.

BGHD
08-13-2005, 11:25 PM
Found out it's $599 in SoCal. Bought probably one of the last ones available in the area.

Abhi
08-15-2005, 10:53 AM
Setup: 5 Ascend CBM-170s, HSU-VTF-2, BFD, Sony DVD player, DPR 2005
Day 1: Connected the receiver and did a quick manual calibration. Kept the default 8ohm setting. All channels set to SMALL@ 80Hz. Played a few CDs and DVDs. First thought was the sound was very different compared to my denon. I was not sure which one I liked more. 2005 had cleaner, crisper and more detailed sound. But thought Denon had more musicality. Felt the actual power was almost same on both the receivers.

Day 2: Looked at CBM-170 impedance graph. Decided to try 6ohm setting on DPR 2005. Played TV (Dish network), few CDs and DVDs. And......Magic time, fellas! The sounds floated freely in the space effortlessly! Each instrument had it's own space in the spectrum. The sound was fresh, crisp and super clean and did not lose it's character even at higher than moderate volumes. Power as compared to Den0n (2802) was definitely more. Bass was tight. Treble was smooooth, but detailed and musical. Better resolution than the den0n. Digital sources sounded far superior. What amazed me was the analog sources, which sounded even better than through the Den0n. Definitely a keeper!

More later!

Kurt C.
08-15-2005, 11:14 AM
Setup: 5 Ascend CBM-170s, HSU-VTF-2, BFD, Sony DVD player, DPR 2005
Day 1: Connected the receiver and did a quick manual calibration.

The sounds floated freely in the space effortlessly! Each instrument had it's own space in the spectrum. The sound was fresh, crisp and super clean and did not lose it's character even at higher than moderate volumes. Power as compared to Den0n (2802) was definitely more. Bass was tight. Treble was smooooth, but detailed and musical. Better resolution than the den0n. Digital sources sounded far superior. What amazed me was the analog sources, which sounded even better than through the Den0n. Definitely a keeper!

Phrases like 'tight bass', smooth treble, and clean and crisp describe speakers, not receivers. These qualities you describe are almost surely due to the great Ascend/Hsu combo, which you've had all along...

Can you please match volume levels on the receivers with an SPL and get back to us about whether the differences you heard are honestly still apparent?

I know, I'm a bit of a jerk for being so rigorous,

Abhi
08-15-2005, 11:50 AM
Phrases like 'tight bass', smooth treble, and clean and crisp describe speakers, not receivers. These qualities you describe are almost surely due to the great Ascend/Hsu combo, which you've had all along...

Can you please match volume levels on the receivers with an SPL and get back to us about whether the differences you heard are honestly still apparent?

I know, I'm a bit of a jerk for being so rigorous,
You are right! Speakers play the biggest role and kudos to Ascend/HSU! But my point was with better electronics the sound from the ascends escalates to the higher levels. May be I should have used terms like tighter bass, smoother treble and so on! Describing the sound in words is a big pain, trust me! :-) Please remember that these are initial impressions as stated in the title. Unfortunately I do not have time to A/B them the way you described. But I am sure the comparison is approximately at the same volume levels. If you divide the volume leveles into low, moderate and high, the detail, smoothness and bass characteristics at any volume ranges from DPR 2005 was definitely a few notches above from the denon. No doubt the Denon 2802 is a very fine receiver, but DPR 2005 is a different beast in a higher class.

bikeman
08-15-2005, 02:02 PM
But I am sure the comparison is approximately at the same volume levels.

If you're happy with the results, approximate is OK. Approximate just makes it difficult for your finding to be of value to someone else comparting the same units. Even a minor increase in volume (less than we can detect with casual listening) can influence the outcome. That's why so many of us own SPL meters. It means one less variable. And it's a BIG variable even when it's small.

David

Quinn
08-15-2005, 02:36 PM
The clean zero background noise on digital recievers like that HK is something completely different from an analog receiver. All the level matching in the world isn't going to make the Denon have no sound/hiss in dead spots whereas a digital amp has nothing where there is nothing.

Abhi
08-15-2005, 02:41 PM
If you're happy with the results, approximate is OK. Approximate just makes it difficult for your finding to be of value to someone else comparting the same units. Even a minor increase in volume (less than we can detect with casual listening) can influence the outcome. That's why so many of us own SPL meters. It means one less variable. And it's a BIG variable even when it's small.

David

Sure! That's why I said it was "initial impressions" and not a review. :-) I own and use SPL meter for calibration. The detail and identity of the instruments maintains the same clean characteristics throughout all the volume ranges when played through the DPR. For detailed comparison I understand the need of SPL meter. But my intention was not to writeup a detailed review and I am not qualified to do so! I think all the comments about any audio gear need to be taken with a grain of salt, including professional reviews. The only true "value" any comparison serves is just pointers. The rest needs to be done in your own setup with your ears and own tastes.

If you are in the market looking for a receiver and you come across such an insane deal ($499) grab it! If you don't like it you'll find many people ready to pay more than that to offload it from you! Just my 2 cents!

Lou-the-dog
08-15-2005, 05:02 PM
Abhi, thanks for sharing your impressions. Looks like the HK2005 is definitely worth a listen.

Randy

Eddie
08-15-2005, 07:59 PM
Now I'd REALLY be curious to read of somebody ABing the HK2005 against the Panny sa-xr55...

sygyzy
08-16-2005, 02:38 PM
How are you able to set "ohms" in the receiver? I have never heard of this. Is this possible in their analog receivers?

Abhi
08-16-2005, 03:48 PM
How are you able to set "ohms" in the receiver? I have never heard of this. Is this possible in their analog receivers?
I'm not sure about their analog receivers. Here is a snippet from the manual:

Speaker Optimizer
The Speaker Optimization function is critical to ensure
optimal performance of the DPR, as it tells the digital
amplifier section how to best match its operation to your
specific speakers. Note that this adjustment is electronic,
not electrical, and unlike the “8-ohm/4-ohm” switches
on older analog amplifiers, you do not need to turn the
DPR off to change the setting. However, we do suggest
that you do not have any program material playing
through the DPR when the setting is changed.
Before making this adjustment you will need to find the
impedance specification for your speakers. This information
is often found on a label attached to the speaker,
and it is usually shown in the owner’s manual that came
with your speakers. If you cannot find the information for
your speakers, consult the manufacturer’s Web site or
customer service department.
In cases where the speakers in a system have different
impedance ratings, such as 8 ohms for the front left/right
and center speakers and 6 ohms for the surround
speakers, use the setting for the front speakers, as they
are used most often for all types of program material.
If you cannot determine the speaker’s impedance, there
is no harm in using the factory default setting of 8 ohms,
as most home speakers are in that range. However, if it
appears that your system’s performance in the highfrequency
range sounds constricted at high volume
levels, you may want to experiment with the 6-ohm or
4-ohm setting.
If your speakers match the factory default setting of 8
ohms, no further adjustment is needed, and you may exit

curtis
08-16-2005, 03:52 PM
I don't think the analog HK's have an ohms setting.

lmm
08-16-2005, 04:24 PM
One of the few things I still find annoying about my HK 635 is the heat -- it gets hot, and is rated as using a lot of power.

Does the DPR 2005 use less power / give off less heat than an analog amp?

Abhi
08-16-2005, 04:59 PM
One of the few things I still find annoying about my HK 635 is the heat -- it gets hot, and is rated as using a lot of power.

It gets warm. But not as warm as my Denon. Not sure about 635 though.

BGHD
08-16-2005, 10:26 PM

With a 2005, you can keep your hand on it, but it's quite warm. Can you keep your hand on a 635 running all channels?

Why does the heat bother you so much? In enclosed cabinet? Isn't that how analog amps are?

Kurt C.
08-17-2005, 06:25 AM
My rather crude understanding is that even when analog amplifiers aren't delivering high current levels to the speakers, they have to act as a heat sink to dissipate all that unused power. That's one of the main reasons they get so hot. Digital amps are different because when they aren't delivering much current to the speakers, the power can be essentially turned off. This results in much cooler operation and less overall power consumption.

Abhi
08-29-2005, 01:05 PM
While I was enjoying the DPR 2005 in my setup, one fine day it decided not to pass the video through and not to output sound either.... And it goes back to the store!

Back to the Denon. I gave a second thought to the calibration process. In comes the Avia DVD from NetFlix. Recalibrated the Denon using Avia. Test tone sounded very different from the Denon's. Obviously the result of level settings was also different. Test played few CDs. The heftiness to the sound which I observed through Denon before had gone. The sound was quick, light yet the bass was ample, but tight. The differences I observed with the DPR and the Denon became very narrow. Last night watched KillBill2. When Uma Therman was buried, the sound of nails, hammer and sand put a big smile on the face.

Afterall, sound is sound. It can only be categorized as either pure or distorted. There is no analog vs digital sound in my book anymore! :-)

What'll be my next upgrade? Well, I'm waiting for Denon 3806 with the state-of-the-art MultEQ! :-)

Enjoy!

BGHD
08-29-2005, 01:20 PM
In comes the Avia DVD from NetFlix.
Never thought of doing that. Good idea. Just added to my queue.

Eddie
08-30-2005, 12:08 AM
I ditto BGHD! thanks Abhi for the inadvertent tip. :)

Kurt C.
08-30-2005, 06:40 AM
Afterall, sound is sound. It can only be categorized as either pure or distorted. There is no analog vs digital sound in my book anymore! :-)
Enjoy!Abhi, I really enjoyed reading your review of the receiver--especially your 'Eureka' moment when you realized that obvious differences between the sound of your old denon and the newer digital-amped HK disappeared when you did a careful level calibration with the Avia disk.

I'll be interested to hear the impressions of BGHD and Eddie before and after calibrating their systems with Avia.

Abhi
08-30-2005, 10:24 AM
Eddie, BGHD,
Also search for "Digital Video Essentials" on netflix!

Abhi
08-30-2005, 11:08 AM
Abhi, I really enjoyed reading your review of the receiver--especially your 'Eureka' moment when you realized that obvious differences between the sound of your old denon and the newer digital-amped HK disappeared when you did a careful level calibration with the Avia disk.

I'll be interested to hear the impressions of BGHD and Eddie before and after calibrating their systems with Avia.

Kurt,
Using external test tones makes sense when comparing two products. However, I didn't get a chance to calibrate the DPR with Avia. There could be some differences due to the pre-processing between these two, but to my untrained ears the overall differences were minimal, if played within limits.

BGHD
08-30-2005, 08:04 PM
I ditto BGHD! thanks Abhi for the inadvertent tip. :)
Now I can spend the money I saved, on a SPL meter. I returned the 2005, so without the remote w/ built-in meter, gotta go buy one.

BTW, it went back because I bought the 435. Tough decision b/w the two. Luckily, the 2005 floor model I bought from Fry's was defective (noticeable fan noise that wasn't present in the 1005 I had earlier), so the decision was easy to return the 2005. But, having had both at the same time, I'd give a very slight edge to the 435 for the EQ. The 435 seemed to tighten-up the bass a tad better than the 2005, at least in my room to my untrained ears.