Thread: Sierra Nrt upgrade worth it? Finally about to make a purchase

Default Sierra Nrt upgrade worth it? Finally about to make a purchase

So after some delays I am finally ordering the Sierra-1's this weekend along with a Rythmik F12. I was originally not even considering the Nrt upgrade for cost reasons and the fact that the original Sierra's will be a huge upgrade from what I have currently (Energy RC-10's). Well I started thinking about it the last few days and realized if I ever got the itch to upgrade, it would cost me quite a bit more when you factor in shipping both ways (way more than the $450 hit I would take right at the beginning for all three speakers being upgraded to Nrt). Any opinion on this? Everyone still happy with their Nrt upgrade? I will be powering everything with a Yamaha Aventage A810 (3.1 setup).

I also wanted to apologize in advance because I know I have been asking a lot of questions over the last few weeks. This is a huge purchase for me and way past my initial budget so I am trying to do it right the first time. I don't want to have buyers remorse and I don't plan on upgrading anything for a few years.

Default Re: Sierra Nrt upgrade worth it? Finally about to make a purchase

I upgraded my original Sierra-1's when the NrT kits first became available. I did one speaker and then played it along with the non NrT speaker. The difference was very obvious to me.

The originals are excellent, but the NrT takes them to another level.

Also, I just added the Q-plugs and feel that the integration with my Rythmik 12" Direct Servo sub has benefitted and is quite seamless.
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Quote Originally Posted by YOTR View Post
    So after some delays I am finally ordering the Sierra-1's this weekend along with a Rythmik F12. I was originally not even considering the Nrt upgrade for cost reasons and the fact that the original Sierra's will be a huge upgrade from what I have currently (Energy RC-10's). Well I started thinking about it the last few days and realized if I ever got the itch to upgrade, it would cost me quite a bit more when you factor in shipping both ways (way more than the $450 hit I would take right at the beginning for all three speakers being upgraded to Nrt). Any opinion on this? Everyone still happy with their Nrt upgrade? I will be powering everything with a Yamaha Aventage A810 (3.1 setup).

I also wanted to apologize in advance because I know I have been asking a lot of questions over the last few weeks. This is a huge purchase for me and way past my initial budget so I am trying to do it right the first time. I don't want to have buyers remorse and I don't plan on upgrading anything for a few years.
    I never had the pleasure of auditioning the Sierra for myself or ever questioned if they'd better my RC's...but I wanted something different from what I had grown accustomed too, and the NrT delivered in every way. I don't feel the orignal Sierra would've tempted in the same manner as the NrT..if you're looking for different the NrT imho...is the way to go.

In the end it's your CALL....but if you've read along what the others have said you likely won't be dissapointed or regret the upgrade to the NrT...well you might wonder how good the Towers are... after 6 months and pay for shipping then....lol.

Good luck in your decision, Bill...

I am positive you will hear "more" with the standard Sierras than with your RC-10's to start.

It is all about how susceptible you are to upgradeitis.
    -curtis

This is not going to answer your question, but I just made the move from some RC-10's straight to the Sierra Nrt's. Trust me, if you have a good source, good recordings and follow the placement recommendations you are going to be amazed at how much better they are than the RC-10's..... (and I really enjoyed my RC-10's).

What Curtis says about upgradeitis is true..... I have had them for a few months now and am wondering how much better the Towers could be... and, shoot, it is only another 700 bucks for the RAAL's...... Hmmmmmmmm.....It is a slippery slope, for sure....

Having said that, I am super, super pleased with my Nrt's!