Page 21 of 271 FirstFirst ... 1617181920212223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: The Tower Discussion Thread!

Default Lastest Sierra Tower Status!

I owe everyone a huge thank you for being so patient with us while we prepare for the release of our most exciting product to date. Production of the Sierra Tower has proven to be quite a challenge for us and I have some good news and some bad…

First, the bad…

We were all set to start mass production 2 months ago but at that time we were not aware that several of the components used in the crossover were being sourced from a Japanese company. Our crossover vendor assured us that although the delivery of these parts would be delayed due to the awful situation over there, they would have no problems acquiring them. It turned out that this was not the case and we were offered no assurances or guarantees as to when these necessary parts would be delivered.

With the help of our vendor, we immediately began working on sourcing suitable replacement parts. This took some time as each possible replacement had to be fully evaluated and as many of you know, I would never and have never compromised performance in order to meet a deadline.

And now for the good…

We have selected replacement components for the crossovers and they are now in full production. During this delay and based on feedback and extensive testing, we have also made a few changes to the initial crossover design as well as a mechanical change to the tweeter, all of which have given way to what I consider to be a large increase in performance from the initial prototype pair and the first pair we shipped.

On the crossover, a series component (capacitor) was removed on both the midrange bandpass filter and the tweeter high-pass filter. This had a rather surprising effect on performance as the midrange response is now purer with a bit more warmth and less of an edge. The speaker is now smoother in presentation and the additional warmth that comes through makes it sound slightly less forward. The overall result brings us yet one more step closer to perfect reproduction of the source material.

After a meeting at our facility with our tweeter manufacturer’s (SEAS) head of R&D, who visited us from Norway, we were granted approval of a minor tweak to how an adhesive was being used in the tweeter assembly. It was necessary to obtain this approval prior to implementation in our factory for vendor warranty purposes. The result of this tweak is minor and most likely not audible to most listeners, but it is certainly measurable and provides for a smoother frequency response and more linear off-axis dispersion.

The Sierra Tower sounds extremely balanced, dynamic and “live” – with an incredibly pure and natural sounding midrange. I feel the production delay was actually a blessing in disguise and for those of you patiently waiting; you will be rewarded with performance that actually surpasses all of the initial reports and comments.

And now for the big question, when will we be able to start shipping?

Tweeters, woofers, midrange drivers and port tubes are in stock. Cabinets and crossovers are in full production. Based on the timeline given to us by our cabinet vendor and crossover vendor, we expect to be able to start shipping several pairs per week starting in about 4-5 weeks. For those of you on our pre-order list, expect to see another correspondence from us within 48 hours.

It is important to understand that these speakers are being built-to-order (at least for the first 2 production batches.) For those of you not on our pre-order list but would still like to get in on the first large scale production run, I believe we have 4-5 slots still open but please contact us ASAP.

Please feel free to post your questions and comments and thank you so much for your patience and understanding. Trust me when I say that your patience will be well rewarded with a product that, much like the Sierra-1, will set another standard for performance.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Default Re: The Tower Discussion Thread!

I look forward to hearing my towers with the new Crossover! From what you have mentioned, it sounds like a fairly substantial improvement! I hope some of my feedback was helpful! I still enjoy them everyday! I still like that "live" and dynamic sound they produce even over those Salk speakers If you were able to smooth out the mids just a touch, better tweeter / mid integration, all without sacrificing accuracy, I will be very pleased

One question I had, I know I will be getting the new XO's once they ship, what about the NrT tweak?

Thanks!

B

Dave,
    Thanks for the update. This has been an interesting lesson in how a product comes to market. A lot of hard work and sleepless nights! This one sentence is why we are so loyal to Ascend. "I would never and have never compromised performance in order to meet a deadline." Too bad more companies don't think this way.

Two questions.

1. Will the color of the finishes be the same as those on the present Sierra's?

2. Will the foam plugs be available if needed for tuning?

Congrats, Dave! Sounds like the towers are going to be very popular.

I have a question. Would the tweeter modification be beneficial for the Sierra-1 NrT's? Also, would the crossover mod apply, in any way, to the Sierra-1 NrT crossover as well, e.g. increased performance? Meaning, is there a parallel mod for the Sierra-1 NrT's? Just wondering. Don't mean to open a can of worms because I'm loving the NrT upgrade.
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Quote Originally Posted by merrymaid520 View Post
    I look forward to hearing my towers with the new Crossover! From what you have mentioned, it sounds like a fairly substantial improvement! I hope some of my feedback was helpful!
    Brandon,

Your feedback was very valuable!

I still enjoy them everyday! I still like that "live" and dynamic sound they produce even over those Salk speakers If you were able to smooth out the mids just a touch, better tweeter / mid integration, all without sacrificing accuracy, I will be very pleased
    Let me just say that you will be VERY pleased Removal of these bothersome capacitors actually improves transient response as well so the speakers will sound even more dynamic and live.

One question I had, I know I will be getting the new XO's once they ship, what about the NrT tweak?
    We can mod your tweeters. Actually, if you want to send back the original crossovers now (as opposed to us shipping you a new set when they are availalbe) we can bring them up to date and take care of the tweeter mod as well. It is going to take some work on your end though and some soldering will be required in either case.

Let me know either way...
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by TomK View Post
    Dave,
    Thanks for the update. This has been an interesting lesson in how a product comes to market. A lot of hard work and sleepless nights! This one sentence is why we are so loyal to Ascend. "I would never and have never compromised performance in order to meet a deadline." Too bad more companies don't think this way.

Two questions.

1. Will the color of the finishes be the same as those on the present Sierra's?

Thanks Tom... This has indeed been the most challenging product in my long career in this industry. I can't wait to get these speakers into our customers homes!

Here are finish options and pre-order pricing as posted a while back:

Natural finish (identical to Sierra-1) = $1898/pr + shipping (with satin black base)

Black Sand Finish (this is a textured black matte paint, extremely durable and very attractive) = $1898/pr + shipping (with black sand base)

Espresso (with a satin sheen, not as glossy as the Sierra-1 but same hue) = $1998/pr + shipping (with satin black base)

Dark Cherry (with same satin sheen, not as glossy as the Sierra-1 but same hue) = $1998/pr + shipping (with satin black base)

Satin Black = $1998/pr + shipping (with satin black base)

High Gloss Black (high gloss but not a true mirror finish) = $1998/pr + shipping (with high gloss base)

True Piano Black (mirror quality finish) = $2598 + shipping (with piano black base)

Yes...
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Brandon,

Your feedback was very valuable!

Let me just say that you will be VERY pleased Removal of these bothersome capacitors actually improves transient response as well so the speakers will sound even more dynamic and live.

We can mod your tweeters. Actually, if you want to send back the original crossovers now (as opposed to us shipping you a new set when they are availalbe) we can bring them up to date and take care of the tweeter mod as well. It is going to take some work on your end though and some soldering will be required in either case.

Let me know either way...
    Very exciting news! I cant wait for the Sierra Tower 2.0
    I can send in the old XO and Tweeters this week. If you can shoot me an email with specific directions on Tweeter and XO removal, that would be appreciated so I don't mess anything up. As for re-installing, my father in law can handle the soldering...again just let me know the specifics!

Thanks for taking the parts in early, much appreciated as usual!

Brandon

Quote Originally Posted by Mag_Neato View Post
    Congrats, Dave! Sounds like the towers are going to be very popular.

I have a question. Would the tweeter modification be beneficial for the Sierra-1 NrT's? Also, would the crossover mod apply, in any way, to the Sierra-1 NrT crossover as well, e.g. increased performance? Meaning, is there a parallel mod for the Sierra-1 NrT's? Just wondering. Don't mean to open a can of worms because I'm loving the NrT upgrade.
    The Sierra-1 NrT crossover is entirely different and uses a different crossover point and filter slope in order to provide the best integration with the Sierra-1 woofer. The changes to the Tower crossover would not benefit the Sierra-1 NrT -- they would actually not work well and the critical integration between woofer and tweeter would be compromised.

The modification to the tweeter is something I would have to test out with the Sierra-1 NrT as it mostly affects dispersion and off-axis response and is something that is more measured than heard. The Sierra-1 and the Sierra Tower have different dispersion characteristics.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Great news Dave, thanks for the update. I know this is selfish, but I won't be home for about 4-5 weeks, so this works out PERFECTLY for me Hooray! :P
    Jon O.

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    The Sierra-1 NrT crossover is entirely different and uses a different crossover point and filter slope in order to provide the best integration with the Sierra-1 woofer. The changes to the Tower crossover would not benefit the Sierra-1 NrT -- they would actually not work well and the critical integration between woofer and tweeter would be compromised.

The modification to the tweeter is something I would have to test out with the Sierra-1 NrT as it mostly affects dispersion and off-axis response and is something that is more measured than heard. The Sierra-1 and the Sierra Tower have different dispersion characteristics.
    Ok, gotcha Dave! Just wondered.

As much as I love my Sierra-NrT's, I have wanted to someday go back to a floorstanding tower. Pretty much since replacing my Vandersteen 1b's with some B&W 602's, which became the CBM-170's, then the Sierra-1's, and now the NrT's. I think the Sierra Tower would satisfy that nicely, just a little shy of funds.
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables