Thread: Flush mounting HTM-200 using insert screws

Default Flush mounting HTM-200 using insert screws

Due to photo posting issues here, I posted this thread on AVS forum:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1229018

======================

I got tired of having very obtrusive CBM-170 as surrounds in my family room, so I picked up a pair of HTM-200. I wanted to flush mount the speakers to the wall, but I didn't want to screw the recommended mounts into the cabinets, as discussed in this post:

http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/sho...51&postcount=6

So I decided to try using the cabinet's insert screws.

I found an ook security hanger
    http://www.ooks.com/p-304-interlocki...ty-hanger.aspx

and tried to find a flat top screw that would fit into the cabinet insert, and work with the hanger. But all such screws had heads that were way too big.

Same with trying to use a keyhole hanger
    http://www.ooks.com/p-324-2-hole-fla...le-hanger.aspx

So I decided to use some picture hanging wire and mount them upside down. Attached is a photo of the parts I bought, I think I spent about $12. (sorry the photo is so small, this site has a very small allowable photo size)

The 50 lb. picture wire is total overkill, but I figured if even 3/4 of the strands break, I'll still have plenty to hold the 10 lb. speaker.

The 30 lb. picture hangers were also overkill, but they were the only "tremor" hangers that had a security feature that would prevent the wire from falling out of the hook from either earthquakes or my two small children. They have 20-lb hangers, just not at my store.
    http://www.ooks.com/p-280-ook-30lb-tremor-hanger.aspx
    http://www.ooks.com/p-382-ook-5lbs-t...or-hanger.aspx

The flat washers were used only to prevent the wire from digging into the back of the cabinet. I'm not sure why I wanted to protect the cabinets so bad, but just wanted to preserve them.

The felt pads were to isolate the speaker from the wall, but as you will see, I found something better and didn't even need these.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by M3_Pete; 02-21-2010 at 01:05 PM.

Default Re: Flush mounting HTM-200 using insert screws

So here is how it looked as I mounted the wires. The Durasteel stainless wire is very stiff and hard to work with. Picture wire might have been easier to use.

I tied the wire on as it showed on the package: make a loop, twist the wire 5 times around, then go back through the loop. The knots look messy, as is was nearly impossible to pull this very stiff wire tight through the loop, even with pliers.

On the first try I made the hanger way too short, since you have to have a little bit of play in order to get the wire out of the tremor hanger.

===================

As I tried to download some photos, this forum tells me I'm out of capacity for any more photos. Ever.

250KB TOTAL? Really? I guess we are using one of Curtis' old 80MB hard drives to run this thing.

But seriously, I guess I'll have to take this over to AVS forum. Disappointing.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by M3_Pete View Post
    As I tried to download some photos, this forum tells me I'm out of capacity for any more photos. Ever.

250KB TOTAL? Really? I guess we are using one of Curtis' old 80MB hard drives to run this thing.

But seriously, I guess I'll have to take this over to AVS forum. Disappointing.
    Actually, very few forums out there allow a member to upload photos. Instead, they allow you to "link" to a photo that is hosted on a different server. To the best of my knowledge, AVS forum does not allow you to upload files... the files must be hosted elsewhere.

The reasons for this really have nothing to do with hard drive space (both our forum and site are hosted on servers with massive storage capacity). Allowing the forum software to index an unlimited number of size unrestricted attachments would greatly diminish forum performance and increase forum maintenance time and costs.

And more importantly, we are in a constant battle with spammers and just imagine if "they" were allowed to upload files, thus allowing them to store their own files on our server which can then be linked to in emails etc. If we just let one of these attempts slip through, they could send out a mass email, link to the pictures which are stored on our servers, and the result would be almost instantaneous blacklisting...

Hosting uploads on our own server is quite a bit more complicated than it would appear to be, but I do understand if you feel the size restrictions is annoying. Please trust me when I say that it is limited with positive intentions for our community
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Dave,

I appreciate that this forum is here. That's why I tried to use it first.

If you look at my thread on AVS, you will see that I loaded a bunch of photos on there, just like here.

But AVS has a 500KB limit on EACH file you can upload, and they do not show me any upper limit on the amount of photos I can upload. They show that I have 962KB posted there already.

I understand your situation is different. I just wish I could have put the whole thread here, since I don't have a photo hosting website. But I got it posted, and there is a link here to it, so the community can see it in the future. That's what matters.

btw, do you know of any performance issues with mounting the speakers in this manner?

Pete...I think that is a fine way to mount the 200SE's. As long as they don't vibrate against the wall, I think you are good to go.

I am currently repainting and reflooring the house, and the thought of 200SE's on the wall is appealing to me more and more.
    -curtis

No vibrations so far. Those small black rubber cushions seem to work well.

So when do you put on the second story?