Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sierra Towers?

Default Re: Sierra Towers?

Quote Originally Posted by Mag_Neato View Post
    I'm still holding out for a sierra-1 "SE" upgrade, that will take them to the next level for a modest investment. Maybe increased "Air", more open/detailed midrange, etc. driver/crossover upgrade stuff. Maybe put a speaker like the Proac Response 1 SC in the crosshairs. I think that would fall more inline with the Ascend philosophy. If I felt that I could have a $2000-$3000 comparable speaker for an extra few hundred dollars upgrade over the regular Sierra-1 price I'd be on the bus!
    +1. Dave, I know you are listening..

Quote Originally Posted by Mag_Neato View Post
    I'm still holding out for a sierra-1 "SE" upgrade, that will take them to the next level for a modest investment. Maybe increased "Air", more open/detailed midrange, etc. driver/crossover upgrade stuff. Maybe put a speaker like the Proac Response 1 SC in the crosshairs. I think that would fall more inline with the Ascend philosophy. If I felt that I could have a $2000-$3000 comparable speaker for an extra few hundred dollars upgrade over the regular Sierra-1 price I'd be on the bus!
    Just to clarify this, I am thinking of this in terms of an upgrade path for current Sierra-1 owners. Send in our original models for modification. Also, have an "SE" version available for direct sale alongside the original, non-SE to keep it in the price range for those who cannot spring for the full SE version right off the bat, but could upgrade as funds allow down the road.
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

You know, it just chaps my azz, that I just got my Sierra-1's for Christmas, and you all are talking upgrade already. Knock that crap off! Now I am using the 200 SE's for my 5.1 surround, so if we're upgrading I'd rather see a Sierra-.5 for a 7.1 system. Please let me break in my Sierra's before something new show's up. But if Dave were to indulge us, I am in agreement with Mag_Neato.

Quote Originally Posted by markie View Post
    Mag_Neato echoes my sentiments about taking the Sierra to the next SE level. It is hard to improve such a very special speaker, but there is room. I noted over at AVS where people met at someone's house (MerryMaids?) and they compared some bookshelf speakers - Sierras, Emotiva's ERM, Paradigm Signature and the WAF. Sierras came second behind the significantly more expensive Paradigms, but I was surprised how closely the inexpensive WAFs came in behind the Sierras. People mostly appreciated the smoothness,detail,and overall presentation of the Sierras, but apparently some love was lost because it was lacking in upper end sparkle, with it's high end seemingly rolled off in comparison to the Paradigm and WAF. Or was it unluckly synergy between the speakers/electronics/room? Don't know.

Towers. Frankly it would be hard to compete with the Salk Songtowers and HT2 imo, so that's why I think a Sierra SE is preferred for now, as well as a smaller wall mounted bamboo Sierra .5 option.

Mark
    Mark,

Yes, that was at my place. Your notes above are correct, the sierras while a great speaker for the $ are not perfect, there's always room for improvement(especially the top end higher frequencies). Its very very difficult to notice the differences in speakers until you compare them back to back like we have done at these GTG's. This is when you hear things and realize what speakers excel in one area and maybe lack in another.

I am sure Dave F. is listening

Brandon

I've been reading some stuff about towers lately and the more I read, the more I think they're not really necessary.

This hobby is fun, but the more realistic you are, the fewer reasons there are to buy things. I'd be down for Sierra .5's for a bedroom system or to replace my current rears, but I guess Sierra towers wouldn't be all that practical.

A Sierra-2 Bookshelf might be interesting if Dave thinks there's sufficient room for improvement over the Sierra-1.

Would a SE version of the Sierra be viable? Or realistic? I'm not quite so sure...

Anyhow, I hope we'll hear from Davef on towers, improved Sierras, etc. possibilities!

I am pretty sure we can all agree that Dave is a smart guy. No matter what he is doing, I doubt he is letting things end with the Sierra.
    -curtis

Righto!

Smart + Experienced + Creative + Music Lover + Perfectionist = something even more amazing

no pressure though

I am all for a SE version of the Sierra. Upgrades that present Sierra owners could do themselves. I'm in if this happens in the future.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post
    I am all for a SE version of the Sierra. Upgrades that present Sierra owners could do themselves. I'm in if this happens in the future.
    The SE upgrade for the 170 and 340 required that the speakers be sent into Ascend. This is the only way that Ascend could guarantee that the work would be done correctly and keep the warranty in place.
    -curtis