Thread: Sierra - Paradigm Signature 2

Default Sierra - Paradigm Signature 2

Amazing impressions from a Paradigm S2 owner - Sierra reviewer: Scroll down to November 12, letter/reply from Doug Schneider.

http://www.soundstageav.com/audiovideoanswers.html

Here is a copy:

November 12, 2007

I read your review of the Ascend Sierra-1 speakers in the October edition of SoundStage! A/V with great interest. I had auditioned the Paradigm Signature S2 speaker that you currently own and referred to in your article. I was very impressed with its performance; it was clearly my favorite from among the speakers I considered. The $2000 price tag was a bit beyond the reaches of my budget, but because of its outstanding performance, I was thinking it might be worth the stretch.

It sounds from your review like these Ascends are also quite impressive at a substantially lower price. Q: What, if anything, do you sacrifice with the Sierra vs. the performance of the Paradigm? If it's not all that much, it may be nice to make the stretch toward the less-expensive alternative. Any information would be appreciated.

I really appreciate the quality and clarity of your writing -- free of jargon and techno-speak. It's a pleasure to read.

James Winarski

A: I’m glad you enjoy the reviews. First, though, I must say that my remarks are confined to the original Paradigm Signature S2, not the new v.2 model, which I don’t have experience with -- at least yet.

In terms of value, the Sierra-1 comes out ahead. It does a lot of things that the S2 does, but at a fraction of the price. For example, they’re both very refined-sounding speakers and quite neutral from head to toe. Bass extension is comparable, although I’d say that the S2 comes out a little ahead in that regard. Resolution through the Sierra-1 is extraordinary, and easily the equal of the S2. Therefore, if you want most of what something like the S2 gives you, the Sierra-1 accomplished all that at less than half the price.

Still, it’s not the S2. The S2 looks nicer and seems built to a higher standard. As I mentioned, the S2 also seems to go a little deeper in the bass, but what I didn’t mention yet is that the S2 can also play considerably louder -- you can really hammer at them with quite a bit of power and they stay clean.

So, in a nutshell, if cost is a strong consideration, definitely look at the Sierra-1. It gets you most of the way there, which seems to be Ascend’s mandate when creating new speakers. If cost is no consideration -- and it isn’t for some – the Signature S2 is still a very good choice.

...Doug Schneider

-

I want sierras! The signatures are amazing speakers. I would gladly take either.

Great find...thanks for posting that!

I'd like to hear the S2's.
    -curtis

Me too. I don't know of anyone who carries them. Systems Design Group only carries the Studio line.