Thread: Changing orientation HTM-200s

Default Changing orientation HTM-200s

I have 3 HTM -200s all purchased for horizontal palacement. If I wanted to place them vertically would I need to unscrew the tweeter and or woofer and rotate them? Thanks

Default Re: Changing orientation HTM-200s

Quote Originally Posted by genki View Post
    I have 3 HTM -200s all purchased for horizontal palacement. If I wanted to place them vertically would I need to unscrew the tweeter and or woofer and rotate them? Thanks
    In my understanding, no. People around here have done that quite a bit actually. I don't think you can rotate that tweeter 90 degrees anyway because it is not a perfect circle, the actual housing is a little oval looking, and rounded on one side, so the cutout would have to be changed. Generally it doesn't seem to be a huge deal for Domes anyway since they are circular in design. With ribbons they are designed to have directivity in one plane (horizontal) so the rotation makes a big deal. From the measurements I've seen of dome tweeters, it doesn't make a big difference. The biggest difference is the effect from an entertainment center below a center, causing the speakers to see a much larger baffle, so the CMT center corrects for this in the crossover, but the tweeters are the same, at least that's how I understand it. Dave will likely chime in with the ultimate answer.
    -Alex
    PS4/Nvidia Shield --> Emotiva XMC-1 --> Emotiva XPA-5 --> Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers and Horizon Center w/ RAAL tweeters (L/C/R), HTM-200 SE (Surrounds), 2x Rythmik F12 subwoofers

I agree that you don't have to worry about rotating the tweeter. However, one issue that you might want to think about is the orientation of the tweeter in the vertical placement, on the inside or the outside. You should get a different sound depending on the orientation. I would guess that you want the tweeters on the inside for front speakers. But, depending on how you use them for surround or surround backs and where they are placed you might get better results with the opposite orientation.

Quote Originally Posted by N Boros View Post
    I agree that you don't have to worry about rotating the tweeter. However, one issue that you might want to think about is the orientation of the tweeter in the vertical placement, on the inside or the outside. You should get a different sound depending on the orientation. I would guess that you want the tweeters on the inside for front speakers. But, depending on how you use them for surround or surround backs and where they are placed you might get better results with the opposite orientation.
    This is a great point. I prefer tweeters on the outside normally, but some go inside depending on their room and how they like their system to sound. This is a big point of contention with Magnepan speakers since the tweeter is on one side of the panel (lots of people think their speakers are single driver, but they aren't). Most people, I'd say at least 80%, put their tweeters on the outside for a wider soundstage and a bigger sweet spot, but some people, especially when there isn't a lot of room on the side walls in a narrow room, will put them in the middle to avoid extra echo and smearing.
    -Alex
    PS4/Nvidia Shield --> Emotiva XMC-1 --> Emotiva XPA-5 --> Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers and Horizon Center w/ RAAL tweeters (L/C/R), HTM-200 SE (Surrounds), 2x Rythmik F12 subwoofers

Quote Originally Posted by genki View Post
    No need to rotate the tweeters (and it isn't possible). The tweeters in the 200's, 170's and 340's all have 360 deg symmetrical dispersion.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com