Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: AVR alternatives to marantz 5009?

Default Re: AVR alternatives to marantz 5009?

Quote Originally Posted by Blingleberry View Post
    Thx, so what I've realized is that if Audessey is on, I can not use the graphic EQ - it's disabled. But pushing up the high end has a big improvement for me.

So can I edit the audyssey settings and do the equivalent of tweaking up the high end?
    I do not believe you can edit the settings nor use the EQ while in the Audyssey modes. What you can try to do is duplicate the audyssey applied EQ settings in the graphic EQ by creating your own custom setting and then tweak it there.
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

I was wondering about that - how would I know the settings it makes? Is that apparent in the settings file itself?

Thx!!

I was wondering about that - how would I know the settings it makes? Is that apparent in the settings file itself?

Thx!!
    I did a quick search and found this: http://manuals.marantz.com/SR5009/NA...SYdgawypva.php

I viewed the Audeyssey results and copied them.
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Thinking out of the box, why not go separates with Emotiva?

The new MC-700 pre-pro looks intriguing and they have plenty of multi-channel amps choices:

MC-700:
    https://emotiva.com/products/pres-an...FceBfgodkB8ATQ

Amps:

The MC-700 does not have Audissey, but their Emo-Q is pretty good. I have their Fusion 8100 AVR which has an earlier version of it. There is the usual automatic room correction with the microphone, but you can tweak it manually afterward. The 8100 also has three completely independent sets of presets and of course a direct mode.

Not many details yet on the MC-700 Emo-Q, but I'd find hard to believe it is not as good or better then in the 8100.

With careful pairing of pre-pro and amps you would still be within your budget

Thx, so what I've realized is that if Audessey is on, I can not use the graphic EQ - it's disabled. But pushing up the high end has a big improvement for me.

So can I edit the audyssey settings and do the equivalent of tweaking up the high end?
    The default Audyssey EQ rolls off the top end. If you have the option for "Audyssey Flat" under the Audyssey settings, I recommend you give this a try.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

The idea of separates is interesting. I could pair a used amp with a new processor. I'd estimate amplifiers have not changed much over the years but the processors constantly do. An Emotiva 700 seems to go for around $300-400.

Thx

Quote Originally Posted by MusicHead View Post
    Thinking out of the box, why not go separates with Emotiva?

The new MC-700 pre-pro looks intriguing and they have plenty of multi-channel amps choices:

MC-700:
    What are the differences between the Emotiva MC-700 and the XMC-1?

I'm still thinking this whole thing over. Mainly because I'm really enjoying the sierra-2s for music. Usually I use pure direct mode and have my F12 sub attached to the pre outs instead of the sub out. I can listen all day and settle right in. Sounds amazing for CD's and vinyl.

But for HT I'm still often frustrated by the Marantz. Sometimes it's hard to hear dialog or there's just poor balance of the surround sound. I've tweaked and messed with everything. So I decided I can up my budget to about $2.2K.

So emotiva, anthem, what else?

Tx!

Cambridge Audio, going back to the idea of a (beefy) AVR:

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_779CXR...00.html?tp=179

NAD used to have good stuff too, but they seems to have dropped the ball with AVRs. What they have left is still good power-wise, but way behind in other features, especially on the video side. Had their T-752 for many years and loved it.

What are the differences between the Emotiva MC-700 and the XMC-1?
    You mean other than the almost 4x price difference? :-)

XMC-1 has Dirac Live, XLR in/out, more analog inputs, better DACs, more powerful DSP and most likely better components all around. And it is US-built.

Thx! - the XMC-1 seem to popup used/refurbed for about 1400 every now and then. What would be a good (but modestly priced) 7 channel amp to use with it?

Do people often use more than one amp such as a higher end tube amp for their LR mains but then something else for the center and surrounds?

-Bill