Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Sierra Tower Specifications, Measurements, Pricing

Default Re: Sierra Tower Specifications, Measurements, Pricing

Quote Originally Posted by NegativeEntropy View Post
    Does the STC have any rear ports? Based on the front oval ports, I'm hoping not .
    No rear ports.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by davidknunes@yahoo.com View Post
    Is High Gloss Black considered a "Standard premium finish"?
    Due to the low demand for high gloss black, this finish is now considered a custom finish.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by GaryB View Post
    One more thought, Dave: is a Satin Black stain rather than paint a possibility for a custom finish? Would it run me much more than your Satin Espresso or Satin Cherry stains?
    We would have to investigate this for you. Custom staining can be quite expensive because typical stains do not work well with bamboo and must be experimented with. Let me know if you are serious about this option and I can contact our cabinet maker.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Thanks, Dave... I've since had another brainstorm and have requested a quote for a different finish (among other things) in an e-mail I sent you a few days ago. I'll wait for a personal reply.

A question about specs-- I see that the towers are rated at 4 ohm average impedance. But wondering if the wattages listed for recommended power, maximum continuous power, maximum peak power are into 8 ohms or 4 ohms? In other words, should my power amp be rated at 300 wpc into 8 ohm or 4 ohm to match continuous power rating? This info isn't going to determine which amp I get, but was just wondering.

I'll add that I'm also curious about this. When I was doing my homework on which speakers to buy, I think I decided it's customary for this to always be for 8 ohms, but now that I think about it, "watts is watts" as it's a measure of the rate of power delivery (joules/sec) regardless of the impedance, so I am quite looking forward to the answer.

Unless I'm mistaken, I believe the towers are rated at 8ohm average and 4ohm minimal.
    Sierra 2 Front LR PA-1 DC-1
    Sierra Luna Surround LR Multichannel via UMC-1 Stereo amp via VSX-D912 AVR
    DC-1 Ext 2 Ch DAC LR XLR to Mono Amps LR RCA to UMC-1 Opt
    T2531 31 Band Stereo Graphic EQ XLR RCA
    PA-1 LR XLR Mono Block 140Watt @ 8 Ohms Class D Amps
    UMC-1 Line Stage Sub X-over @ 40Hz
    L12 12" Subwoofer RCA
    P3 Power Plant A/C Regenerator - Can dramatically improve sound quality realism after 350 hours or 2 weeks of cumulative burn in
    40" HDR 4K TV Opt
    Windows 11 Gaming HTPC HDMI
    D2R

Default Tower Crossovers?

Since the Sierras were first released, I've been fascinated by the variable slope crossover capabilites of the Sierras that help to mitigate phase anomalies between the drivers. I am curious as to how this is possible (seems to me it might require a variable capacitor?), if a quick explanation (in layman's terms) is possible, and also if those same phase aligning principles are used in the Sierra Towers?

Jay

Default Re: Tower Crossovers?

Quote Originally Posted by petmotel View Post
    Since the Sierras were first released, I've been fascinated by the variable slope crossover capabilites of the Sierras that help to mitigate phase anomalies between the drivers. I am curious as to how this is possible (seems to me it might require a variable capacitor?), if a quick explanation (in layman's terms) is possible, and also if those same phase aligning principles are used in the Sierra Towers?

Jay
    Hi Jay,

Without revealing too much info, the crossover slopes on the Sierra-1 are not "continuously" variable. A typical crossover slope decays at the same rate, for example, energy is reduced 24dB per octave. In a variable slope crossover, energy might be reduced at 12dB per octave for a specific frequency bandwidth and then increased to 24dB per octave for another frequency bandwidth. We use this in all of our loudspeakers...
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Default Re: Tower Crossovers?

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Hi Jay,

Without revealing too much info, the crossover slopes on the Sierra-1 are not "continuously" variable. A typical crossover slope decays at the same rate, for example, energy is reduced 24dB per octave. In a variable slope crossover, energy might be reduced at 12dB per octave for a specific frequency bandwidth and then increased to 24dB per octave for another frequency bandwidth. We use this in all of our loudspeakers...
    Thank you for the explanation, it is all clear now, and a lot simpler than I had imagined it to be!

Jay