Thread: Is anyone using Ascends with keyboards or studio monitoring?

Default Is anyone using Ascends with keyboards or studio monitoring?

Hi all. I was wondering if anyone has been using Ascends with keyboards/digital pianos or as studio monitors. I was initially thinking of Sierras for a home stereo and then using my old bookshelves with a digital piano, but the CBM-170 SEs in particular look like they would be well suited for that task. And at over 20 years since leaving a mastering engineer job for more "normal" things, I guess I still look at speakers with a possibility of mixing/mastering with them.

Default Re: Is anyone using Ascends with keyboards or studio monitoring?

Can't see why it wouldn't work well. Might want a sub for really deep bass or drums.

Monitors made for studios often are self powered, have additional shielding, tuning, connection options that make them more convenient for studio use. Placement of the port may also be a factor for your setup. A lot of studio near fields are front ported where the CBM is rear ported.

Also, the studio monitors are often more utilitarian w rubber/metal/plastic enclosures. So I don't worry about moving my little self powered yamaha MSP5's around. I could even take them to small gigs.

Thanks for the response. I'm aware that many studio monitors are now active, although when I spent a lot of time in studios the passive Yamaha NS-10s were ubiquitous, often with tissue paper taped over the tweeter. I really didn't like them. Fortunately at the mastering studio I had much more flat monitors. Also thanks for mentioning the rear port.

In any case, I noticed the CBM-170s and thought something like, "Compact, utilitarian, inexpensive, looks like a flat response, a focus on reproducing details, that might make a great digital piano or studio monitor."

Those nsm10's are notorious and only loved by those used to them and know how to mix around their quirks!

I think my model yamahas are pretty different and think they sound good in general and can be listened to all day. I don't know how "revealing" they are as great monitors. But I can work with them pretty well. I bought them for the size and price as my studio space is really small. They're tiny but still biamped.

I haven't compared them to my S2's side by side though. I kind of don't want to! Both sound great right where they are and I don't want to get any ideas! The S2's are too big for my studio even if I loved them for that purpose. If I get the urge, I'd look at the small Genelecs or Adams most likely.

If you have a spare amp, you have more options.
    Last edited by Blingleberry; 01-23-2017 at 03:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tbp71 View Post
    Hi all. I was wondering if anyone has been using Ascends with keyboards/digital pianos or as studio monitors. I was initially thinking of Sierras for a home stereo and then using my old bookshelves with a digital piano, but the CBM-170 SEs in particular look like they would be well suited for that task. And at over 20 years since leaving a mastering engineer job for more "normal" things, I guess I still look at speakers with a possibility of mixing/mastering with them.
    170's make for fantastic studio monitors -- this was the driving force behind the overall design of this speaker
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Blingleberry - Oh, I learned the NS10's quirks. I also feel I learned how to correct certain things in mastering that people using NS10s did while mixing. But it sounds like you have quite a nice setup.

davef - Groovetastic! Thanks for responding. I'm even more torn between them or possibly making a Sierra 2 jump.