Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Help ! My Receiver is Out of Control! Or am I the stupid one?

Default Re: Help ! My Receiver is Out of Control! Or am I the stupid one?

very good point Dave.
    Now I think everything is set to correct measures.

Speakers at Small. EQ=OFF, Bass out through SUB only.

Now looking into possibly treating a room with some Auralex panels. Behind speakers, directly across, corners, etc. We'll see. Though a friend of mine is dwelling how a better receiver will make the speakers shine and that right now they are producing 50% of what they can do.
    A/V Receiver - Denon AVR 4311ci
    L/R - Ascend Sierra-1 NrT
    Center - Ascend Sierra-1 NrT
    Surrounds - Ascend HTM-200
    Sub - Rythmik F12
    TV - Sharp LC-80LE650U 80-inch
    Screen - 135" STR-169135-G Silver Ticket 4K Ultra HD Ready
    Projector - Epson Home Cinema 3100 1080p
    SACD Player - Sony C222ES

Quote Originally Posted by Pianist718 View Post
    very good point Dave.

Now looking into possibly treating a room with some Auralex panels. Behind speakers, directly across, corners, etc. We'll see. Though a friend of mine is dwelling how a better receiver will make the speakers shine and that right now they are producing 50% of what they can do.
    These settings look correct, from here you can try using EQ on/off etc. to see what sounds better to you but be sure the receiver maintains the small settings for the speakers. You can also try lowering the crossover from 80 to 60Hz, if you have that option.

So your friend is stating that a new receiver will make the system sound 50% better? Does he work for an A/V retailer?

Seriously, from this point the two best options for achieving better sound quality if you are going to spend more $$ are:

1. Go with the Sierra Towers
    2. Invest in room treatments (go with the DIY options, can save a small fortune and very easy!)

From that point, I would then consider a receiver or amplifier upgrade.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    These settings look correct, from here you can try using EQ on/off etc. to see what sounds better to you but be sure the receiver maintains the small settings for the speakers. You can also try lowering the crossover from 80 to 60Hz, if you have that option.

So your friend is stating that a new receiver will make the system sound 50% better? Does he work for an A/V retailer?

Seriously, from this point the two best options for achieving better sound quality if you are going to spend more $$ are:

2. Invest in room treatments (go with the DIY options, can save a small fortune and very easy!)

:-) ..... I've asked the question about receivers on other forums and feedback is overwhelming. One is screaming that receiver made all the difference, others say pick one that has features you like and be done with it. The crazy part is that it's really 50x50 feedback.

I am assuming that what makes the difference is settings. People set different settings on a different receiver and it becomes an incorrect A/B test.

Also ... it's probably a person wanting to hear the difference. You tell someone that item B costs 3 times more than item A and people "hear" a difference.

Adding the HTM-200 as my surrounds yesterday was like placing a cherry on the cake. Last piece of the puzzle. :-) They do sound nice. ...... compared to my 10 year old Onkyo HTiB surrounds.

Next upgrade ...... whatever new thing you come up with for Sierra-1.
    Sub - Rythmik F12

very good point Dave.

Another setting I've found is flat out wrong after running room correction is the distance of the sub from listening position and how it effects timing of the bass compared to the other speakers. In my setup (Audyssey), I found it had the distance about right physically, but the result was a delayed response from the sub. I moved it back in 2ft increments until it was seamless with the other speakers. Moving it back in the AVR settings tricks it into thinking it has to send that signal earlier in order to blend with the other speakers.

Sheep

Quote Originally Posted by JustaSheep View Post
    Another setting I've found is flat out wrong after running room correction is the distance of the sub from listening position and how it effects timing of the bass compared to the other speakers. In my setup (Audyssey), I found it had the distance about right physically, but the result was a delayed response from the sub. I moved it back in 2ft increments until it was seamless with the other speakers. Moving it back in the AVR settings tricks it into thinking it has to send that signal earlier in order to blend with the other speakers.

Sheep
    Very interesting. I'll definitely try that tonight. Moving it back 1, 2 feet
    Sub - Rythmik F12

For my room the YPAO made my system sound terrible. I had help from an expert, (Thanks) and nothing I tried worked. I think someone better at this than me needs to lay hands on it.

I reset my Yammy receiver, and did manual set up. I am using a 3.1 system. Maybe YPAO doesn't work as well for this.

I wound up setting my Compact Horizon, and Towers on small, with Crossover either 60 or 80 Hz. Still experimenting.

Another huge variable is speaker positioning. Don't even think about running the auto set up, until you have played several CDs using Pure Audio mode, and adjusted the speaker positions. This is impossible while you are using a Sub, and Center speaker. When I was a stereo dude, it would take a long time to find the sweet spot. (Months)

This might be worth a try.

B.

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post

I have a chance right now of grabbing the Yamaha RX-A2010 receiver for $749 shipped.

http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-RX-A201...amaha+rx-a2010

You're saying that it won't do much to my sound? Upgrading from a old, entry level receiver Yamaha RX-v465
    Sub - Rythmik F12

I know Brian speaks highly of the Yamahas.

Is that the reason you are stuck on Yamaha?
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    I know Brian speaks highly of the Yamahas.

Is that the reason you are stuck on Yamaha?
    After reading reviews, Yamaha 2010 did look like a good model. Plus this good deal ... plus I currently have a Yamaha, plus a friend speaks highly of Yamaha's and ................... my Piano is a Yamaha :-)
    Sub - Rythmik F12

After reading reviews, Yamaha 2010 did look like a good model. Plus this good deal ... plus I currently have a Yamaha, plus a friend speaks highly of Yamaha's and ................... my Piano is a Yamaha :-)
    Have you researched Onkyo, Denon, Anthem, or HK?

The reason why I ask is because thus far, YPAO has not proven beneficial in your setup, so it might be better to try something else like Audessey XT32. EQ systems, in my experience, is a hit or miss proposition.

I also think trying Q Plug A in the center channel would be beneficial.

Also, as Blutarsky mentions, positioning is very key, and other than Trinnov, I don't know of any other EQ system that will even begin to correct for it. BTW, I consider your center channel without the Q Plug to be a position issue.
    -curtis