Page 87 of 108 FirstFirst ... 8283848586878889909192 ... LastLast

Thread: Introducing the Sierra-LX!!!

Default Re: Introducing the Sierra-LX!!!

Yeah I setup the LX speakers in the same position and ran them at full range. To be sure the LX speakers sound wonderful and I have no complaints, but found it interesting I heard such a difference in detail.

Quote Originally Posted by trs79 View Post
    Yeah I setup the LX speakers in the same position and ran them at full range. To be sure the LX speakers sound wonderful and I have no complaints, but found it interesting I heard such a difference in detail.
    Make sure if you are using any type of auto-eq, to turn it off. I am finding that many customers use auto-eq with one set of speakers, then they install a different set and forget to redo the eq or turn it off entirely when doing comparisons.

Also, for fun, try running both sets of speakers with an 80Hz crossover. I suspect you will then find them much closer with regard to detail.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Made the towers sound bit more forward. On their own, I found listening to the towers crossed at 150Hz with no sub was not enjoyable. Interestingly enough, I could easily listen to the LX crossed at 150Hz with no sub.

Excellent, very happy you are enjoying them and thank YOU for putting your confidence in us!!! I am curious, are you in Canada?
    Yep, that's me in Canada

These turned out to be exactly what I was after! They remind me of the BMRs but with perfect tonal balance and power handling. These tweeters are more ribbon like than any other dome I've come across. I keep turning the volume up and up, no fatigue!

I am looking for feedback from other LX owners. I recently received my Sierra LX speakers and would appreciate some input from other owners.

I'd be interested to hear if other LX speaker owners notice a difference in sound when standing versus sitting. When standing my LX sound very engaging with deep bass and full mid-tones. When I sit at ear level with the speakers the sound becomes a _bit_ "thinner". I lose some of the bass impact and the speakers come across as perhaps a bit more thin sounding as compared to standing. That is not to say they are a thin sounding speaker in general, so those who have not yet purchased these speakers should not read into this that they are thin sounding in general, as that's not the case. The bass is much more impactful when standing, but still substantial when seated.

I've noticed that the stereo image is better when seated, but the sound isn't quite as "full". I don't want anyone to take the above statements as a reference to how the speakers sound overall, only the differences I hear when seated versus standing. It could be that they just need more break-in or this is a characteristic of these types of drivers for all speakers of this type.

Receiver is a Denon X6700H. Source is Roon -> iFi Audio Stream -> RME ADI2 DAC -> Denon -> LX (Also tried streaming music through Apple TV)

Troubleshooting steps I have tried so far:

Checked polarity on wiring
    Reset receiver to factory settings (I am listening in Direct or Pure Direct for my tests so there is no processing, but I reset to be certain). Display confirms only the left and right speaker are playing and I feel the subs to make sure they are off as well.
    Reversed polarity on left speaker - can hear that they are out of phase, but no noticeable change besides that (in relation to the above)
    Reversed polarity on both speakers - no noticeable change
    Went back to correct polarity on both speakers.
    Pulled my speakers further from the wall - I tried just over 3 feet and just over 5 feet away from the back wall and didn't notice any substantial differences.

I have Sierra-1s in a different room and Sierra 2EXs that I moved to my office. Before taking them to my office I hooked them back up to see if they exhibited the same behavior, but only heard an improvement when sitting versus standing, which is to be expected given the RAAL tweeters. So I don't think it's my room as I don't hear this type of change with them hooked up.

Most of my music listening is done with Roon -> Mac Studio running HQ Player -> RME ADI2 DAC -> Focal Utopia or Stellia.

Some of my test tracks:

Steven Wilson - Luminol
    Daft Punk - Lose Yourself to Dance (this is the track that made the improvement in stereo imaging evident when seated)
    alt-J - Tesselate
    Diana Krall - Isn't It Romantic
    Metrik - Parallel
    Infected Mushroom - Spitfire
    Sierra Eagleson - In The Air Tonight (If you haven't listened to this track it's a haunting rendition of the original and worth listening to)

If you have LXs and can give a listen seated versus standing I'd appreciate the feedback to see if any other owners notice a change based on listening height. As I said earlier, this may be a characteristic of these type of speakers or something that will change with more playing time. My Sierra 1s are in my bedroom and are placed quite a bit higher than these so it's possible they have similar characteristic that I haven't noticed before. The LXs are on the Ascend stands.

Any insights would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    Last edited by sccb; 06-28-2022 at 06:39 PM. Reason: grammar
    AVRs: Denon X6700H | Yamaha 3060 | Yamaha 740
    Speakers: Sierra LX | Sierra 2 EX | Sierra 1
    DACs: ADI-2 DAC fs | Hugo 2 Source: Roon

Quote Originally Posted by sccb View Post
    I am looking for feedback from other LX owners. I recently received my Sierra LX speakers and would appreciate some input from other owners.

I'd be interested to hear if other LX speaker owners notice a difference in sound when standing versus sitting. When standing my LX sound very engaging with deep bass and full mid-tones. When I sit at ear level with the speakers the sound becomes a _bit_ "thinner". I lose some of the bass impact and the speakers come across as perhaps a bit more thin sounding as compared to standing. That is not to say they are a thin sounding speaker in general, so those who have not yet purchased these speakers should not read into this that they are thin sounding in general, as that's not the case. The bass is much more impactful when standing, but still substantial when seated.

I've noticed that the stereo image is better when seated, but the sound isn't quite as "full". I don't want anyone to take the above statements as a reference to how the speakers sound overall, only the differences I hear when seated versus standing. It could be that they just need more break-in or this is a characteristic of these types of drivers for all speakers of this type.

Receiver is a Denon X6700H. Source is Roon -> iFi Audio Stream -> RME ADI2 DAC -> Denon -> LX (Also tried streaming music through Apple TV)

Troubleshooting steps I have tried so far:

Checked polarity on wiring
    Reset receiver to factory settings (I am listening in Direct or Pure Direct for my tests so there is no processing, but I reset to be certain). Display confirms only the left and right speaker are playing and I feel the subs to make sure they are off as well.
    Reversed polarity on left speaker - can hear that they are out of phase, but no noticeable change besides that (in relation to the above)
    Reversed polarity on both speakers - no noticeable change
    Went back to correct polarity on both speakers.
    Pulled my speakers further from the wall - I tried just over 3 feet and just over 5 feet away from the back wall and didn't notice any substantial differences.

I have Sierra-1s in a different room and Sierra 2EXs that I moved to my office. Before taking them to my office I hooked them back up to see if they exhibited the same behavior, but only heard an improvement when sitting versus standing, which is to be expected given the RAAL tweeters. So I don't think it's my room as I don't hear this type of change with them hooked up.

Most of my music listening is done with Roon -> Mac Studio running HQ Player -> RME ADI2 DAC -> Focal Utopia or Stellia.

Some of my test tracks:

Steven Wilson - Luminol
    Daft Punk - Lose Yourself to Dance (this is the track that made the improvement in stereo imaging evident when seated)
    alt-J - Tesselate
    Diana Krall - Isn't It Romantic
    Metrik - Parallel
    Infected Mushroom - Spitfire
    Sierra Eagleson - In The Air Tonight (If you haven't listened to this track it's a haunting rendition of the original and worth listening to)

If you have LXs and can give a listen seated versus standing I'd appreciate the feedback to see if any other owners notice a change based on listening height. As I said earlier, this may be a characteristic of these type of speakers or something that will change with more playing time. My Sierra 1s are in my bedroom and are placed quite a bit higher than these so it's possible they have similar characteristic that I haven't noticed before. The LXs are on the Ascend stands.

Any insights would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    I would expect some difference due to optimal positioning. Standing and sitting for me don't exhibit anything I would think as odd in my room. Maybe the vertical dispersion the LX has over the Sierra-1 and 2EX is causing the issue in your room?

How far from the speakers is the listening position? When seated, is the tweeter at ear height?
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    I would expect some difference due to optimal positioning. Standing and sitting for me don't exhibit anything I would think as odd in my room. Maybe the vertical dispersion the LX has over the Sierra-1 and 2EX is causing the issue in your room?

How far from the speakers is the listening position? When seated, is the tweeter at ear height?
    Listening distance is about 12 feet seated and 10 feet standing. I’ve also walked up to about 4 feet and then squatted down to sitting height and hear the same differences. Yes, when seated the tweeters are very close to ear height.

When I pulled the speakers out in the room I moved back further as well as listening in my normal positions and it seemed like the same differences as when the speakers are in their normal position.

Quote Originally Posted by sccb View Post
    Listening distance is about 12 feet seated and 10 feet standing. I’ve also walked up to about 4 feet and then squatted down to sitting height and hear the same differences. Yes, when seated the tweeters are very close to ear height.

When I pulled the speakers out in the room I moved back further as well as listening in my normal positions and it seemed like the same differences as when the speakers are in their normal position.
    With all that you are doing I would expect to hear differences...2 ft closer would make a difference alone. At 4 ft, standing vs sitting would sound different too. I'm not referring to the LX, but any speaker.
    -curtis

I am willing to bet it is the change in bass/mid bass response that you are hearing by moving around the room. Bass response can noticeable change by just moving a few inches in any direction.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    With all that you are doing I would expect to hear differences...2 ft closer would make a difference alone. At 4 ft, standing vs sitting would sound different too. I'm not referring to the LX, but any speaker.
    There are differences when moving the speakers or my listening positions, but the primary difference (particularly in the bass and mid-range) when moving from seated height to standing doesn’t seem to changed based on moving the speakers in or out or my distance from the speakers. The overall change in response between ear level and standing is quite noticeable and not something I had with my 2EXs. I simply happened to notice the change when getting up from my seated position which had never happened with the 2EX as the changes with it are much more subtle and require more carful listening to notice.

I’m at a loss for the cause, but I prefer the sound of the speakers when standing, so hoping there is a way to get that sound when seated.

By the sounds of it and noted recently in another members review... the LXs better overall verical dispersion adds more to the listening environment when situated outside the listening window or in another room...I'd personally not overlook this attribute in assessing speaker preferences because I often play music while moving around to other adjacent rooms moreso then...sitting directly in the LP...
    Last edited by billy p; 06-29-2022 at 08:44 AM.
    Speakers 5.1.2: TitanTowers v2 & STC(RAAL v2), MA CP-WT&CT260
    Sub: Funk Audio 18.0 SantosRW

Source: Denon X3800H, Oppo BDP 103D, UBK-90 4K & LG B9 65"
    Office 2.0: Philharmonic True Mini(coming-soon), Fosi TB10D via Wiim mini.