Default Re: Wow.....

Hey Muzz,

You need towers...
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Ha.

Yup. Get the towers. I started out with a pair of Sierra 2s. Found an awesome deal on Craigslist. Love them, they sound great, but I need volume and have a large room. The towers are up to the task and minus the deepest bass sound just as big as my SVS Ultra towers. They're more sensitive too so you should be able to get more out of them from your 100 wpc amp.

I've spent the last few months breaking myself into the towers and boy oh boy, I sure do love them. I just ordered the Horizon with the RAAL upgrade to complete my set. I had a 5.2 Ultra setup, but I'm officially all Ascend now! The Horizon finishes my 5.0 bed layer, all ribbon speakers now!

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Hey Muzz,

You need towers...
    With which tweeter?

Quote Originally Posted by jimb View Post
    With which tweeter?
    RAAL Ribbon...
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

We'll...the 2EX Experiment is over, I burnt them both up, there is NO sound from either speaker. 😟
    The 170's were put back, and they're both cranking, as usual...
    The 170's can't handle the high end though, so they'll hardly ever get punished like the 2EX Did(although they have been punished plenty since I got them many years ago)..shame, I really liked those 2EX.
    Cost a few bucks, but it is what it is.
    No BS Warranty Claim, I pushed those really hard.
    Dave, build something with a 1"+ VC Please!, we don't need 30's bass for everything, gimme 50 with massive power handling and a Ribbon, I can do subs....
    I know, I remember when folks were bashing you for weak bass(I was here)..Subs are FAR more prevalent now though.
    Deep bass from a bookshelf is great, high end/power midbass with a fabulous Ribbon would be great as well....not sure how that would work, but I'd like to hear a sample of it!🤘👍😆

Thanks for EVERYTHING over the years Dave, you've always been as solid as they come.

Gary

Hey Gary,

With several thousands now sold, you are the first to burn up a pair Sierra-2EX. Are you sure you weren't clipping your amp or receiver? What amp or receiver were you using?

Dave, build something with a 1"+ VC Please!
    Gary, the VC in the EX woofer is greater than 1".

If you want crazy volume levels, go with the 340's.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

I already answered this, but...not sure what happened to that post.... whatever...
    The AVR/PREAMP IS A DENON AVR 988, Same as a Denon AVR2808, this pairing is the SAME ONE my nephew burnt up my Sierra 1's we discussed years ago(while we were partying outside, that was in my basement at the time).
    Is the preamp poor/distortion riddled?
    The amp is solid, it's a Boston Acoustics A7200, a SHERWOOD NEWCASTLE A965 with a different cover, Curtis had one, he knows.
    The 1st time I was worried it was the AVR, that's why I grabbed the amp...Then I blew up the other 2...they WERE punished, but this AVR(ALONE) punished bigger Speakers for years before it got retired due to HDMI PORTS.
    Not sure what's up, I wish I did, because the 2EX Sound MINT.

Quote Originally Posted by muzz View Post
    I already answered this, but...not sure what happened to that post.... whatever...
    The AVR/PREAMP IS A DENON AVR 988, Same as a Denon AVR2808, this pairing is the SAME ONE my nephew burnt up my Sierra 1's we discussed years ago(while we were partying outside, that was in my basement at the time).
    Is the preamp poor/distortion riddled?
    The amp is solid, it's a Boston Acoustics A7200, a SHERWOOD NEWCASTLE A965 with a different cover, Curtis had one, he knows.
    The 1st time I was worried it was the AVR, that's why I grabbed the amp...Then I blew up the other 2...they WERE punished, but this AVR(ALONE) punished bigger Speakers for years before it got retired due to HDMI PORTS.
    Not sure what's up, I wish I did, because the 2EX Sound MINT.
    BTW, this same AVR Beat these 170's for AWHILE before I even got the Sierra's, and still sound fine except pretty high volume due to the 170SE Tweeters getting raspy.

Just out of curiosity, what kind of volume levels are we talking about here? Do you have a decibel meter?

I do, but I don't use a meter when I listen.😳🙄
    It's VERY Very LOUD.
    I've already admitted it was my fault, what are you looking for?