Page 74 of 150 FirstFirst ... 6970717273747576777879 ... LastLast

Thread: Sierra-2 Development Thread

Default Re: Sierra-1 NrT: Next phase?

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    It would be impossible for us to achieve the same wide vertical dispersion as the Sierra-1 while using a ribbon - but - this isn't necessarily a bad thing, just different. Higher vertical directivity reduces floor and ceiling reflections and these speakers will perform better in problematic rooms.

That stated, compared to our dome tweeter, the Sierra-2 ribbon has much wider horizontal dispersion and that creates a wider soundstage.
    Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    You are correct in your statements here -- high crossover points in combination with large center-to-center spacing can result in major vertical off-axis issues. It is for this very reason that we were very specific with Aleksandar on what our requirements were for the capabilities of this tweeter. Vertical lobing will occur with any speaker that uses more than a single transducer in a vertical array -- it all depends on vertical off-axis angle. With the Sierra-2, vertical lobing only presents itself at angles that are greater than the vertical dispersion capabilities of the ribbon tweeter itself. The issue you bring up has and always will be a major factor in all of our designs, and careful attention has been given to this with the Sierra-2 as well.

Hope this makes sense!
    Dave, does the Sierra-2 design work just as well as a center speaker? I assume the tweeter would be rotated 90 degrees relative to its orientation in the mains (as with the horizon).

Is the more limited vertical dispersion noticeable compared to the Sierra-1 if the center is not aimed at listening height? On the positive side, it would help with floor/ceiling reflections that can be problematic for center speakers that are typically below the screen. Given that the horizontal dispersion is so wide with the Sierra-2, I assume the soundstage would blend seamlessly across the front three speakers. Have you done much listening with an LCR or 5 channel Sierra-2 setup?

Thanks for all the details! Can't wait!

$1398 for a pair of sierra 2.
    Last edited by RicardoJoa; 11-12-2013 at 09:38 AM.

For a pair of complete Sierra-2's............I'll say $1,698.

For the upgrade kits...........$648/pr

Edited to reflect the pricing trend of the Ascend speaker lineup!
    Last edited by Mag_Neato; 11-12-2013 at 12:01 PM.
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Quote Originally Posted by Mag_Neato View Post
    For the upgrade kits...........$650/pr.
    With a bulk rate for those of us with a center

I've been lurking through this thread since the beginning, but the potential for a free hat has brought me out of the woodwork.

I'll guess that final pricing on a natural pair of Sierra-2s will be $1798 -- $100 less than the tower in its least expensive finish.

Quote Originally Posted by Fantom View Post
    Dave, does the Sierra-2 design work just as well as a center speaker? I assume the tweeter would be rotated 90 degrees relative to its orientation in the mains (as with the horizon).

Is the more limited vertical dispersion noticeable compared to the Sierra-1 if the center is not aimed at listening height? On the positive side, it would help with floor/ceiling reflections that can be problematic for center speakers that are typically below the screen. Given that the horizontal dispersion is so wide with the Sierra-2, I assume the soundstage would blend seamlessly across the front three speakers. Have you done much listening with an LCR or 5 channel Sierra-2 setup?

Thanks for all the details! Can't wait!
    I have to believe that with the RAAL's inherent differences in horizontal vs. vertical dispersion, among other factors I really have no knowledge of, rotating the tweeter for a center channel version would knock the performance out of whack, for lack of a more educated word! The Horizon would probably be the best option.
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

$1449 is my take for a pair

Quote Originally Posted by RicardoJoa View Post
    $1448 for a pair of sierra 2.
    $1448 is exactly my guess as well, with standard natural finish.

I'm going with $1398.

I have a hat already, but could use a new one.
    -curtis

I suddenly got a change of heart