Page 88 of 271 FirstFirst ... 8384858687888990919293 ... LastLast

Thread: The Tower Discussion Thread!

Default Re: The Tower Discussion Thread!

STC as mains - visually reminiscent of the old **** 901s, though it seems that's where the similarities end.

and adding in another variable, i wonder how well it would work to orient the STCs vertically instead of horizontally.
    now what page did i see those off-axis measurements on....

Quote Originally Posted by dittomusik View Post
    STC as mains - visually reminiscent of the old **** 901s, though it seems that's where the similarities end.

and adding in another variable, i wonder how well it would work to orient the STCs vertically instead of horizontally.
    Sounds like a good time to post a page for the "Sierra Horizon" .

PS, that is after mine has shipped LOL!

Jay

Quote Originally Posted by dittomusik View Post

Thats a good point.
    Using the STC as main vertically will put the tweeter and midrange side by side. Really cant imaging how it sound.
    Or did Dave actually did not meant to orient the STC vertically and leave it as horizontally?

Quote Originally Posted by RicardoJoa View Post
    Thats a good point.
    Using the STC as main vertically will put the tweeter and midrange side by side. Really cant imaging how it sound.
    Or did Dave actually did not meant to orient the STC vertically and leave it as horizontally?
    At the end of Dave's video, you can see the speakers. He oriented them horizontally.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidD View Post
    At the end of Dave's video, you can see the speakers. He oriented them horizontally.
    thanks,
    i actually missed the video.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyozero3 View Post
    Dave,

I hate to break it to you...but you really need to upgrade that TV
    Don't tell anyone, but that's the "secret room" where Dave can get some well-deserved downtime. I hear he enjoys watching the VHS cuts of "Ferris Bueller's Day Off" and "Back to the Future" on that old CRT.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyozero3 View Post
    PS: Not the music I thought you'd be auditioning with. Hilarious
    You and I both, buddy. It seems that Dave has an "inner gangsta."

Playfulness aside, I'm pretty excited to read the latest on the STC (or Sierra Horizon, whatever it ends up as). I was curious how much the smaller enclosure would "handicap" the overall synergy compared to the full-size towers. Apparently it's not an issue.

When I first read about the STC (or monster center as it was known then), I had the idea about flipping the cabinets 90 degrees and using them as mains. If the new center provides nearly identical performance as the towers, that might be an awesome way to upgrade from Sierra-1 for those with space constraints.

Maybe I'm off-base, but my only real concern with the vertical orientation was dispersion characteristics since it was originally designed to be used horizontally. I did find it curious that Dave mounted the speakers in their intended horizontal position. Before the video, I expected to see them configured vertically.

Anyway, I think it's a great idea to consider the STC as more than just a center.

As always, a big thanks to Dave for keeping us in the loop and tempting us with new things to spend our money on.
    -Jacob

Alright. So long story short, I moved last week and finally got the opportunity to setup the entire system and EQ the Towers and Rythmik sub. I had a nasty peak around 40hz so I flattened it out and the results are pretty decent (only using 3 filters on my BFD EQ).

The green line is my parasound 2100 preamp running the towers and Rythmik crossed over at 80hz.

The other color is my yamaha receiver (RX-A3000) with the towers crossed at 90hz and Rythmik sub. I chose 90hz because it gave me the flattest response. I imagine the large dip at 100hz is floor bounce, not much you can do there.

Now, off to listen!

Brandon

Some quick iPhone pics of the living room...

Cool Re: The Tower Discussion Thread!

Quote Originally Posted by merrymaid520 View Post
    Some quick iPhone pics of the living room...

*pics removed to save space in this post*

That's a nice place, Brandon! Your listening area seems larger than your previous residence, although I only recall photos from the couch, facing the speakers. Call it a hunch, but I'm gonna say your new living room sounds a bit more "live."

Great photos, thanks for sharing. Enjoy your new flat.
    -Jacob

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Ranger View Post
    That's a nice place, Brandon! Your listening area seems larger than your previous residence, although I only recall photos from the couch, facing the speakers. Call it a hunch, but I'm gonna say your new living room sounds a bit more "live."

Great photos, thanks for sharing. Enjoy your new flat.
    Thanks! The living room is a bit bigger as well as the areas it opens up to. The room is very "live" but that will change soon. I have a large 12x14' piece of carpet coming to sit in the middle of all the furniture. The wife and I like some carpet in our family room