Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sierra-1 NRT vs Towers. No comparison??? A friend got me thinking.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Sierra-1 NRT vs Towers. No comparison??? A friend got me thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by Pianist718 View Post
    it's just that after spending $1800 I am thinking that for another $2K I could have had towers with center channel. Question is .... would it be a huge difference?

OR I can just go buy the 170s for surrounds, get Rythmik F12 for sub and call it a day. I guess a friend coming in and surprisingly saying "Oh, these are reference monitors??" got me a bit sad here :-)
    Since you do 60% music, I think Towers would be an upgrade. Will it be a huge difference? only you can decide that. Most folks would be very happy with Sierra-1 + Rythmik combo. In this hobby, it's a law of diminishing returns after a certain point. If you can get an audition for Towers and compare the notes, you can decide for yourself.

Which speakers your friend own or compared to when he made that comment?

Quote Originally Posted by Sam1000 View Post
    Since you do 60% music, I think Towers would be an upgrade. Will it be a huge difference? only you can decide that. Most folks would be very happy with Sierra-1 + Rythmik combo. In this hobby, it's a law of diminishing returns after a certain point. If you can get an audition for Towers and compare the notes, you can decide for yourself.

Which speakers your friend own or compared to when he made that comment?

He is looking to buy a soundbar ... one of those from Yamaha for $2K.
    he did have a home theater system from Yamaha I believe with towers. Not in a thousands price range but he has been into home theater sound for years.

To me Sierra-1 nrt sounds great and the only time it sounds bad is when recordings I play are of bad quality.

It's just that I am a perfectionist. If I know that something is much better than what I bought, I won't rest until I perfect it.

Going from my 10Yr old HTiB from Onkyo to Sierra-1 (L,C,R) still using sub and rears from HTiB was a noticeable improvement but not like Oh MY God, How did I live before? you know what I mean? Sounds is great but at almost $2K I expected even better.

So maybe it really takes $4K (Sierra towers with center speaker) to get that real WOW>?

if so, then maybe I should get the (L/R) towers with RAAL and keeping Sierra-1Nrt center?

Going from my 10Yr old HTiB from Onkyo to Sierra-1 (L,C,R) still using sub and rears from HTiB was a noticeable improvement but not like Oh MY God, How did I live before? you know what I mean? Sounds is great but at almost $2K I expected even better.
    I will guarantee you that the sub is not of the same quality of the Sierra's. Change it out, and you will have another "Wow" moment.

I am not sure how you have it integrated, but I am sure that it is bringing down the overall experience when it is used in conjunction with the Sierras.

From and HTiB to Sierra standpoint, I would expect a considerable improvement...and I mean CONSIDERABLE. Perhaps there is a configuration/setup issue.

You will spend a long time trying to achieve perfection. There are SO MANY factors. Speakers play a big roll, but there is so much more that contributes to the sound in your room.
    Last edited by curtis; 09-06-2012 at 10:42 AM.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    I will guarantee you that the sub is not of the same quality of the Sierra's. Change it out, and you will have another "Wow" moment.

I am not sure how you have it integrated, but I am sure that it is bringing down the overall experience when it is used in conjunction with the Sierras.

From and HTiB to Sierra standpoint, I would expect a considerable improvement...and I mean CONSIDERABLE. Perhaps there is a configuration/setup issue.

You will spend a long time trying to achieve perfection. There are SO MANY factors. Speakers play a big roll, but there is so much more that contributes to the sound in your room.

Yea, a SUB is a must and I have been looking for one for a month now. First wanted to get Rythmik F12 sealed. Then after realizing that I do 40% music and 60% movies and TV shows .... maybe I need a ported one.

Since I have neighbors (apartment building) I am not looking for big output. Can't have my walls shake. Want accuracy and sound quality.

Do I get a F12? wait for the replacement of the old FV12 ?
    room is 13x18 and 8.5 ceiling.

Any suggestions?
    My next upgrade is to also change my surrounds as I do listen to music in 7 Channel option and I am sure that my 2 old rear speakers are messing with the overall sound.

Yea, a SUB is a must and I have been looking for one for a month now. First wanted to get Rythmik F12 sealed. Then after realizing that I do 40% music and 60% movies and TV shows .... maybe I need a ported one.

Since I have neighbors (apartment building) I am not looking for big output. Can't have my walls shake. Want accuracy and sound quality.

Do I get a F12? wait for the replacement of the old FV12 ?
    room is 13x18 and 8.5 ceiling.

Any suggestions?
    My next upgrade is to also change my surrounds as I do listen to music in 7 Channel option and I am sure that my 2 old rear speakers are messing with the overall sound.
    You will realize more WOW at louder volumes compared to the HTiB speakers.

In that space and what I think your listening levels are, I would think the F12 will more than suffice in terms of output, and will have better sound quality.

If you posted it before, I missed it, but where are you located?
    -curtis

You will realize more WOW at louder volumes compared to the HTiB speakers.

In that space and what I think your listening levels are, I would think the F12 will more than suffice in terms of output, and will have better sound quality.

If you posted it before, I missed it, but where are you located?
    I am in brooklyn, NY

I just thought that maybe a sub like FV12 (ported) was better in my situation. No?

Also ... what's the benefit of F12SE (signature edition)

I am in brooklyn, NY

I just thought that maybe a sub like FV12 (ported) was better in my situation. No?

Also ... what's the benefit of F12SE (signature edition)
    I don't see any benefit in your situation with the FV12. What advantage do you see in it ? We can discuss.

The "SE" difference is just in the finish...piano black.
    -curtis

Curtis ..... changing my HTiB sub to Rythmik F12 has been the biggest WOW I had with this system.
    A/V Receiver - Denon AVR 4311ci
    L/R - Ascend Sierra-1 NrT
    Center - Ascend Sierra-1 NrT
    Surrounds - Ascend HTM-200
    Sub - Rythmik F12
    TV - Sharp LC-80LE650U 80-inch
    Screen - 135" STR-169135-G Silver Ticket 4K Ultra HD Ready
    Projector - Epson Home Cinema 3100 1080p
    SACD Player - Sony C222ES

I think that when you get into the highest end of audio, with all components, and connections of the finest quality, any flaws will become apparent.

I have heard top systems, set up by the best in the business. I could practically hear the musicians heart beat. There must have been something done right.

Nontheless, most of us take pride in extracting value, along with quality, and have a lot of fun. Ascend is practically a guilty pleasure in this regard.

Blutarsky

I was tempted to go upstairs to bring down the JVC RX-8030VBK AVR, to make comparisons again, for my own benefit no less.. I hope I wasn't imagining the static that was present when it was used as a pre-amp for the Emotiva UPA-7. Distortions, when using Direct to bypass any added processing were annoyingly obvious then, at least when the UPA-7 was added those things weren't there before. Dunno if unbearably annoying could be considered a good thing then, but all else being equal now, I shouldn't hear any difference except that I'm wanting there to be..

This sucks, *shrug*, lol.
    Last edited by choirbass; 09-21-2012 at 05:17 PM.
    Sierra 2 Front LR PA-1 DC-1
    Sierra Luna Surround LR Multichannel via UMC-1 Stereo amp via VSX-D912 AVR
    DC-1 Ext 2 Ch DAC LR XLR to Mono Amps LR RCA to UMC-1 Opt
    T2531 31 Band Stereo Graphic EQ XLR RCA
    PA-1 LR XLR Mono Block 140Watt @ 8 Ohms Class D Amps
    UMC-1 Line Stage Sub X-over @ 40Hz
    L12 12" Subwoofer RCA
    P3 Power Plant A/C Regenerator - Can dramatically improve sound quality realism after 350 hours or 2 weeks of cumulative burn in
    40" HDR 4K TV Opt
    Windows 11 Gaming HTPC HDMI
    D2R