Quote Originally Posted by Todd WI View Post
My wife requires grilles, so magnetic grilles do nothing for me and I'd rather avoid the extra $50 expense if possible. Would standard grilles still be an option or would all grilles be magnetic?
Quote Originally Posted by stickx View Post
Same here.
Quote Originally Posted by dlca1 View Post
Same here. Would prefer non magnetic option if it saves $50
I was thinking about this same issue yesterday. For those who will use grilles, it really doesn't matter if they are magnetic or not.

We really aren't in a position to offer both options, as that would actually split our order quantities into 2 batches and one way to get the costs down a bit is to run higher volume production runs.

So.... with that in mind, I have managed to find a Chinese source for the exact same neo magnets we plan to use and their price is about 1/4th what we would pay purchasing them here. If I can manage to ship them combined with various other misc parts we buy from China (namely our spiked feet and binding posts) -- it also reduces the price. So, with that in mind as I look at the current BOM, we can now afford to offer the magnetic grilles together with the speakers for no additional costs.

Of course, there is an additional labor cost from our cabinet maker to install the magnets, but if we can order the sat cabinets at the same time we order tower or horizon or Sierra-1/2 cabinets from them -- they will waive these additional labor costs as there would be an additional price break on larger quantities of bamboo.

Argghh -- I must share, it is SO MUCH EASIER to simply have a factory in China build a fully completed speaker for us! Building like we do, we have to fully coordinate every little detail.... Of course, there is no way to fully build something like this speaker overseas. I keep saying to myself that we will slowly start making our production at Ascend simpler, yet I keep doing the exact opposite, lol....

Anyway, I hope this comes as good news. I am really trying my best to give you all what you want and create the world's highest performance mini speaker. Something really unique that hopefully won't be copied too quickly