Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: PSA, Aperion, Salk or Ascend upgrade questions

Default Re: PSA, Aperion, Salk or Ascend upgrade questions

Quote Originally Posted by Beave View Post
    Very off topic, but somewhat timely given that Apple just announced the iPhone 10 or whatever they're calling it:

Anyway, this reminds me of a certain icon who used to run Apple. He may have been the master of asking/inquiring into other company's products, then synthesizing those ideas into products of his own.

The iPhone was a good example of this. I know he "befriended" the leadership of another tech company at the time, picked his brains, acted as if he was interested in a joint-effort. Then when he got all the info he wanted, he stabbed his "friend" in the back and made his own product.

There's a little more detail that I know but probably shouldn't say. I think you can get the gist of it.

I'm not saying Tom V. did or did not do this - I truly have no idea there. I'm just saying that story reminded me of the story above.
    Been looking at the iPhone X... but it starts at $1000? I have been happy with my 6 - not even a single problem in over 2 years and battery is still decent, not even sure why I actually need a new phone -- must resist that urge
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Been looking at the iPhone X... but it starts at $1000? I have been happy with my 6 - not even a single problem in over 2 years and battery is still decent, not even sure why I actually need a new phone -- must resist that urge
    Well, I think I'll resist that urge too. My $6/month flip phone from Tracfone still gets the job done (ie, I hardly ever use it). I've resisted the entire cell phone industry as much as I can, which is funny considering I used to work for a company that designed them [I worked in a different division].

Quote Originally Posted by Beave View Post
    Well, I think I'll resist that urge too. My $6/month flip phone from Tracfone still gets the job done (ie, I hardly ever use it). I've resisted the entire cell phone industry as much as I can, which is funny considering I used to work for a company that designed them [I worked in a different division].

Wow - that is great. I think if I didn't need a smartphone for business reasons, I would have steered clear as well
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Ok you guys have persuaded me back to the Ascend acoustics camp. Can you but 3 Sierra 2s horizontal version, not the actual center version? That's what I'm gonna start with, then most likely 2 Luna's for surrounds down the line. If things like to the way I think they will I will making my first purchase or order in January or February. Oh I have a really nice Parasound 5 channel amp, 140 watts of pure power, conservatively rated. Plenty to drive these speakers correct? Are they power hungry?

Quote Originally Posted by JC1 View Post
    Ok you guys have persuaded me back to the Ascend acoustics camp. Can you but 3 Sierra 2s horizontal version, not the actual center version? That's what I'm gonna start with, then most likely 2 Luna's for surrounds down the line. If things like to the way I think they will I will making my first purchase or order in January or February. Oh I have a really nice Parasound 5 channel amp, 140 watts of pure power, conservatively rated. Plenty to drive these speakers correct? Are they power hungry?
    We can configure the Sierra-2 anyway you like (3) Horizontal S2's is not a problem, many of our customers are using them this way.

I would not characterize the S2's as power hungry. What will be your approx. listening distance from the front speakers?
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

We can configure the Sierra-2 anyway you like (3) Horizontal S2's is not a problem, many of our customers are using them this way.

I would not characterize the S2's as power hungry. What will be your approx. listening distance from the front speakers?
    I'm sorry that should have been vertical, upright the way the speaker was designed. I apologize for that. I am 11 feet or so from my LCR. Thanks again Dave. Man I hope things fall into place and I can order these in January or February. 3 Vertical Sierra 2's for LCR. Then down the line I think Luna's for surrounds. That's gotta sound sick!

Quote Originally Posted by JC1 View Post
    I'm sorry that should have been vertical, upright the way the speaker was designed. I apologize for that. I am 11 feet or so from my LCR. Thanks again Dave. Man I hope things fall into place and I can order these in January or February. 3 Vertical Sierra 2's for LCR. Then down the line I think Luna's for surrounds. That's gotta sound sick!
    Vertical or horizontal, no issue for us since we assemble per order etc Agreed, this will be a terrific sounding system.

At 11 feet back, I would recommend a minimum of 70 watts per channel,
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Vertical or horizontal, no issue for us since we assemble per order etc Agreed, this will be a terrific sounding system.

At 11 feet back, I would recommend a minimum of 70 watts per channel,
    Oh ok excellent, 140 watts of Parasound power is plenty then. I think this will be a good fit. Awesome that you assemble per order. 3 vertical is gonna be great. Man I can't wait to hear these speakers especially that RAAL ribbon tweeter.

Ya know I'm very disappointed in myself for not finding Ascend acoustics before I put my latest HT together. The more I read about the CMT-340s the more I wish I made them my HT. And it would have been less money. The CMT-340s I would bet are far and away better than the SM 65s I have right now. The way owners describe them is pretty incredible. I could have used these as a stepping stone to the higher end Ascend speakers like Sierra 2s and Luna's. You live and you learn I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by mikesiskav View Post
    I've only seen one direct comparison between Ascend RAAL towers and PSA bookshelfs. IIRC the owner found a noticeable difference in the high frequencies. It's on AVS somewhere. I suggest taking a look for it.
    I think this may be the thread Mike was referencing: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-spe...zon-tower.html.

FWIW, I was considering PSA towers & center before I purchased Sierra Towers & Horizon w/RAAL. I never listened to the PSAs, but I couldn't be happier than I am with the Ascends.

Good like with your decision.