Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Sierra Ribbon Towers and Safe SPL

Default Re: Sierra Ribbon Towers and Safe SPL

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    If you have a CD that is recorded hot, and unfortunately - so many of them are these days, - if that CD is +6dB (many are even higher so they sound louder) - than that "0" setting is actually 6dB higher. For example, if the 0 db setting calibrates to 85dB at your listening position for Dolby Digital, that hot CD could very well measure an average of 91dB.
    Yes, this is where my thinking is likely flawed. I've always assumed ~85 dB at MLP with the dial on "0" with maybe 5 -6 dB peaks for music so... yeah. Did not think I was getting into clipping territory, and here's why. The Ultras are less sensitive (88 dB, tho I think Gene measured closer to 87 in his review), are rated for lower continuous power and I've had them turned up just as loud. That's almost double the power for the same volume, right?

Since you are really into this, I strongly recommend picking up a decent SPL meter from Amazon. It is a very useful tool and they don't cost much.
    Yes, I am really into this. I've learned a lot. Enough to know I have much more to learn, lol. This is a fun hobby and I love good sound. Do you have a favorite spl meter you like to use or are they all pretty accurate? I've played around with the free phone app ones but I don't trust 'em.

Both of my parents were in bands since I can remember and I grew up hanging out at weekly band practices. We had smaller "Woodstock" style gatherings ("The Mahoning Valley Easter Festival!") every year in my big, rural back yard. Bunch of old college buddies who played various instruments would get together and throw a weekend concert party. We would cobble a stage together with cinder blocks and scrap lumber, had lighting, pa system, a full blown concert setup and would play into the wee hours of the morning. It was so awesome. I miss those...

I grew up on Neil Young, Led Zep, Dylan... the list goes on. Yup, my parents were hippies, lol. Music is in my blood and I can't imagine a world without it. Home theater is a secondary consideration for me. I have a very strong and genuine passion for music and good sound. My tastes have gotten heavier but I still appreciate good musicianship and will listen to a variety of music if it's well recorded and sounds great on my system.

I can even tolerate the occasional country music sessions my wife enjoys so much. I can't stand country, but it's a small sacrifice and keeps her involved and invested in wanting things to sound good.
    Last edited by Pogre; 06-15-2020 at 08:44 AM.

Went ahead and ordered this one yesterday.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

In the meantime I downloaded a couple of free spl apps for my phone and took some readings at my MLP with the volume set at -15. No sweeps or tone generators, just music.

571_copy_576x1024_copy_288x512.jpeg

570_copy_288x512.jpeg

I'll trust the one I ordered over the free apps, but if those are even close... holy crap.

I see several issues with that meter.......

1. It is only "A" weighted, no ability to set it to "C" weighting. "C" weighting measures closest to how we hear.

2. It only does Fast response. Slow response will give a better average picture of the sound level.

If you ever wish to do any sort of room response measurements you will want the "C" weighting with slow response.
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Well... I did ask for suggestions and no one offered any...

Quote Originally Posted by Mag_Neato View Post
    I see several issues with that meter.......

1. It is only "A" weighted, no ability to set it to "C" weighting. "C" weighting measures closest to how we hear.

2. It only does Fast response. Slow response will give a better average picture of the sound level.

If you ever wish to do any sort of room response measurements you will want the "C" weighting with slow response.
    Okay, I gotcha now I think. I only want it for quick n dirty at mlp. I have a calibrated UMIK mic and REW for when I want to get detailed like that.

Also to add to Mag's post is that the apps are good gauge to measure differences in SPL, but for accurate number you have to remember there is no way for them to get calibrated, and the hardware they run on are all different, even the mic tolerances within the same model. That said, I suspect these numbers are not too far off.

Take of video of the woofer/mid movement now.

Didn't you say you had REW and a UMIK-1? Break those bad boys out.

Personally, I haven't used an SPL meter in a long time. Probably over 5 years. I used to use one to calibrate my speakers, or to double check what auto setups had done. Now with being able to see measurements with Dirac and Genesis/ARC, I don't have the need. I'm also in a different boat as I'm not worried about blowing up my speakers.
    Last edited by curtis; 06-16-2020 at 07:28 AM.
    -curtis

BTW...I think this shows the importance to know what SPLs you are experiencing.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    Also to add to Mag's post is that the apps are good gauge to measure differences in SPL, but for accurate number you have to remember there is no way for them to get calibrated, and the hardware they run on are all different, even the mic tolerances within the same model. That said, I suspect these numbers are not too far off.

Take of video of the woofer/mid movement now.

Didn't you say you had REW and a UMIK-1? Break those bad boys out.

Personally, I haven't used an SPL meter in a long time. Probably over 5 years. I used to use one to calibrate my speakers, or to double check what auto setups had done. Now with being able to see measurements with Dirac and Genesis/ARC, I don't have the need. I'm also in a different boat as I'm not worried about blowing up my speakers.
    I do have a UMIK and REW. It's a pain dragging everything out to set up for it tho. Part of the problem is the distance I sit. Every cord associated with measuring has to be rerouted and stretched to the limits to be able to reach my seat.

For all the measuring I've done and sweeps taken I never once thought to check what my levels are at max volume. I never did it because I always thought (erroneously) that I'm hitting 85 dB average with 5 or 6 dB peaks for music at mlp when volume setting is 0. That's why I even started this thread. I had some confusion seeing all that excursion at "only 85 dB". My eyes are opened now. I have some serious readjusting to do with my idea of max spl and start dialing things back. I really did not think I was hitting those levels.

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    BTW...I think this shows the importance to know what SPLs you are experiencing.
    ABSOLUTELY!

I cannot agree more. I was WAY off and completely ignorant to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pogre View Post
    I do have a UMIK and REW. It's a pain dragging everything out to set up for it tho. Part of the problem is the distance I sit. Every cord associated with measuring has to be rerouted and stretched to the limits to be able to reach my seat.

For all the measuring I've done and sweeps taken I never once thought to check what my levels are at max volume. I never did it because I always thought (erroneously) that I'm hitting 85 dB average with 5 or 6 dB peaks for music at mlp when volume setting is 0. That's why I even started this thread. I had some confusion seeing all that excursion at "only 85 dB". My eyes are opened now. I have some serious readjusting to do with my idea of max spl and start dialing things back. I really did not think I was hitting those levels.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pogre View Post
    ABSOLUTELY!

I cannot agree more. I was WAY off and completely ignorant to it.
    Oh...yeah, the cord/cable thing. Luckily, for Genesis/ARC, you only need a USB cable from the computer to the mic. Even then, as I didn't have a decent laptop, I got a longer USB for the desktop PC. It was actually nice to be able to run all the measurements from a separate room.

Now that I think about it, if someone came up with an accurate wireless mic, that would be awesome!

BTW...a lot of people have fallen victim the the "0 db" thing on their AVRs/pre-pros. This is why I often ask if someone has measured SPL. (and one of the reasons why I used to double check with a meter)

Side question, and only because I am concerned, have you had your hearing checked?
    Last edited by curtis; 06-16-2020 at 08:17 AM.
    -curtis