Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sierra 2-EX vs Sierra LX

Default Sierra 2-EX vs Sierra LX

Hello,

I was possibly looking to upgrade my front from 170 LR/340C to either Sierra 2-EX LR/Horizon RAAL or Sierra LX LR/Horizon NRT. Running a 5.2.2 setup.

I'm not sure which would sound better for me and fit my needs. I do ~40/60 movies/music. I want the front to sound fantastic with music but of course great with movies too. For music, I mostly listen to Metal and EDM. I listen to music only in stereo with my two subs (2.2).

Obviously, the Horizon won't really matter for my music setup, but I do want the tweeter to match the LR tweeters.

Any suggestions and opinions on this would really help me decide.

Thanks!

Default Re: Sierra 2-EX vs Sierra LX

Short version: I would get the LX.

Very long version: Ascend Acoustics Sierra-LX vs. Sierra-2EX Comparison

I would still get the RAAL version of the Horizon, though. The NrT dome and the Titan dome in the LX are more different tonally than the Titan and the RAAL. The Titan is quite RAAL-like, tonally.
    Luna Duo V2 LR, Titan Horizon V2, and Rythmik L22 & L12 in HT, Sierra-LXs in study, S-2EXs and Duo V2 C in bedroom, S-1 NrTs in dining room, S-1s at work, HTM-200s in kitchen. Brother owns CMT-340s and dad has a pair of CBM-170s.

Thanks for the suggestion and comparison post. The RAAL won't sound too far off with the NrT you think? I have no experience with these tweeters so I appreciate it.

Another question: How does the Duo LCR compare to the Horizon? Is the Horizon that much better to pay the difference? Would it still be a good fit with the LXs?
    Last edited by Slork; 06-15-2022 at 10:05 AM.

Agree get the RAAL horizon...if possible...or LX center if you decide on the LX set for your LR...plus you'll save ~$150.00 on the LX vs. EX....which can bridge the gap somewhat for the horizon...if you can accommodate it size in your set-up...others have gone that route from duo...it's on another level .. IMO.
    Speakers 5.1.2: TitanTowers v2 & STC(RAAL v2), MA CP-WT&CT260
    Sub: Funk Audio 18.0 SantosRW

Source: Denon X3800H, Oppo BDP 103D, UBK-90 4K & LG B9 65"
    Office 2.0: Philharmonic True Mini(coming-soon), Fosi TB10D via Wiim mini.

After realizing that I simply can't fit the Horizon in my setup without changing tv stands and center placement, I now am looking at the Duo or the LX for my center instead of Horizon. Which do you think would sound better/match with the LR LXs? Assuming LX center would match better as it's the same speaker, but I'm just curious if the Duo would somehow provide a better center than the LX.
    Last edited by Slork; 06-15-2022 at 11:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Slork View Post
    After realizing that I simply can't fit the Horizon in my setup without changing tv stands and center placement, I now am looking at the Duo or the LX for my center instead of Horizon. Which do you think would sound better/match with the LR LXs? Assuming LX center would match better as it's the same speaker, but I'm just curious if the Duo would somehow provide a better center than the LX.
    I'd defer this specific question to Dave... he'll likely give you the best advice....for your current path...not many LX centers in the wild...at this point...lol.
    Speakers 5.1.2: TitanTowers v2 & STC(RAAL v2), MA CP-WT&CT260
    Sub: Funk Audio 18.0 SantosRW

Source: Denon X3800H, Oppo BDP 103D, UBK-90 4K & LG B9 65"
    Office 2.0: Philharmonic True Mini(coming-soon), Fosi TB10D via Wiim mini.

If you can swing an LX center, I'd go that route.

I use a Duo center in my LX setup because I simply don't have the room for anything larger there. It works very well for its small size and is a good tonal match to the LXs, but it doesn't project the same scale / impact.

Quote Originally Posted by Mj30250 View Post
    If you can swing an LX center, I'd go that route.

I use a Duo center in my LX setup because I simply don't have the room for anything larger there. It works very well for its small size and is a good tonal match to the LXs, but it doesn't quite project the same scale / impact.
    Thanks for the suggestion. I can indeed fit the LX as it's identical to my current center in height and depth.

I have my LX center in a vertical orientation and it sounds great! Obviously not in the same league as my horizon raal but very good nonetheless. My advice, try and match the front 3 as closely as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by merrymaid520 View Post
    I have my LX center in a vertical orientation and it sounds great! Obviously not in the same league as my horizon raal but very good nonetheless. My advice, try and match the front 3 as closely as possible.
    Thank you. I think I'll just go with the LX LR as well as LX center, but mounted horizontally.