Page 131 of 271 FirstFirst ... 126127128129130131132133134135136 ... LastLast
Results 1,301 to 1,310 of 2707

Thread: The Tower Discussion Thread!

Default Re: The Tower Discussion Thread!

Thought I would share a fun photo with everyone.

Here is a batch of our customized RAAL 70-20XR Amorphous Core ribbons getting ready for testing for later this evening and tomorrow morning. Every ribbon is tested for rub and buzz, listened to by me during a specially designed sweep, and tension tested. Although quite rare with our shipments, if any ribbon is even slightly off, it is set aside for diaphragm replacement and then tested again.

All of this occurs before the ribbon is even installed into the speaker, at which time it is then thoroughly tested again with a variety of measurements.

Forgetting the price, but I wonder what a RAAL ribbon line array would sound like? Strange thinking about it... but I could go out and purchase a really REALLY nice car for the amount this batch of ribbons cost

I get more enjoyment from music though

Enjoy!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

That is awesome, Dave! I'm still absolutely blown away by my ribbon towers, almost a year after receiving them. Everyone who hears them fall in love with these things!

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Thought I would share a fun photo with everyone.

Here is a batch of our customized RAAL 70-20XR Amorphous Core ribbons getting ready for testing for later this evening and tomorrow morning. Every ribbon is tested for rub and buzz, listened to by me during a specially designed sweep, and tension tested. Although quite rare with our shipments, if any ribbon is even slightly off, it is set aside for diaphragm replacement and then tested again.

All of this occurs before the ribbon is even installed into the speaker, at which time it is then thoroughly tested again with a variety of measurements.
    Now that is a drool-worthy photo! I am seriously impressed by all the QC involved here. It's stuff like this that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside about supporting Ascend.

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Forgetting the price, but I wonder what a RAAL ribbon line array would sound like? Strange thinking about it... but I could go out and purchase a really REALLY nice car for the amount this batch of ribbons cost
    OK, I just wet myself. Assuming one could afford such a line array, I think you'd end up with one of the best speakers in the world. Add a few handfuls of juicy mid-range drivers from the Tower, some woofers, and throw in a 12" Rythmik driver/amp for built-in subwoofer.....OMG! I need to sit down, boys. All the blood has rushed to other parts of my body!

Thanks Dave, you've successfully ruined my day and my concentration.
    -Jacob

Dave could you elaborate on the pros & cons or subtle differences found between the RAAL 70-20xr vs. 70-10 version having tested both? I'd just like to hear/read your opinion on this matter?

Re: Bill...

Ps: I counted ~46 RAALs in that pic....quickly doing the math..yup nice car indeed...lol..

My RAAL STC is expected to arrive on the 23rd along with the 200se...can't wait.
    Last edited by billy p; 04-19-2013 at 07:04 AM.
    Speakers 5.1.2: TitanTowers v2 & STC(RAAL v2), MA CP-WT&CT260
    Sub: Funk Audio 18.0 SantosRW

Source: Denon X3800H, Oppo BDP 103D, UBK-90 4K & LG B9 65"
    Office 2.0: Philharmonic True Mini(coming-soon), Fosi TB10D via Wiim mini.

Dave,
    Actually, if you don't mind me mentioning a competing Company, there is another ID Speaker company that builds such a speaker (that is, a RAAL ribbon line array). See the link below for the Selah Audio
    Julietta, a Line Array with RAAL ribbon tweeters and Scanspeak Illuminator mid/bass drivers with
    an aluminum cone subwoofer built into the bottom of the cabinet. It's expensive, though not outrageous like some of the Boutique Brands (You do have to scroll down a bit after getting to the page):

http://selahaudio.com/id73.html

pawsman

Can anyone tell me if the bamboo used is a solid core or a laminate of veneer slices? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by ToneDef View Post
    Can anyone tell me if the bamboo used is a solid core or a laminate of veneer slices? Thanks.
    I can't say for certain, but Dave (the owner/engineer) just said in another thread the other day they used bamboo so they wouldn't have to use veneer. While he didn't say specifically it was solid, I believe it is based on that statement.

See post 1300 in this thread (http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/sho...4031#post44031).

Sheep

http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages.../srm1tech.html

Quote Originally Posted by JustaSheep View Post
    I can't say for certain, but Dave (the owner/engineer) just said in another thread the other day they used bamboo so they wouldn't have to use veneer. While he didn't say specifically it was solid, I believe it is based on that statement.

See post 1300 in this thread (http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/sho...4031#post44031).

Sheep
    As Kisakuku linked, it is a laminate.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by pawsman View Post
    Dave,
    Actually, if you don't mind me mentioning a competing Company, there is another ID Speaker company that builds such a speaker (that is, a RAAL ribbon line array). See the link below for the Selah Audio
    Julietta, a Line Array with RAAL ribbon tweeters and Scanspeak Illuminator mid/bass drivers with
    an aluminum cone subwoofer built into the bottom of the cabinet. It's expensive, though not outrageous like some of the Boutique Brands (You do have to scroll down a bit after getting to the page):

http://selahaudio.com/id73.html

pawsman
    Don't mind you mentioning Rick's company at all. I have great respect for him as I believe he too takes that special extra effort to provide exceptional value to his customers.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com