Thread: toe in question

Default toe in question

Hello
    I have a pair of sierra towers for 2 channel listening and was wondering on peoples experiences with toe in and no toe in. I know every set up is different and I have experimented with 0, 5 and 10 degrees of toe in and I can't decide which I like better. I currently have them set up as no toe in . They are 3 feet from back wall and about 1 1/2 feet from side wall. they are 10 feet apart and i am almost 11 feet back.
    Any opinions would be appreciated.

Default Re: toe in question

Quote Originally Posted by jprod View Post
    Hello
    I have a pair of sierra towers for 2 channel listening and was wondering on peoples experiences with toe in and no toe in. I know every set up is different and I have experimented with 0, 5 and 10 degrees of toe in and I can't decide which I like better. I currently have them set up as no toe in . They are 3 feet from back wall and about 1 1/2 feet from side wall. they are 10 feet apart and i am almost 11 feet back.
    Any opinions would be appreciated.
    JP,

Welcome to the Ascend Acoustic Forum!

Assuming you have the RAAL towers (excellent horizontal dispersion) and your room acoustics have medium reflective qualities (not too dead, not too live), No toe-in could be ideal creating a realistic sound stage width, deep hall\recording depth and believable center stage realism (with good recordings). If the "air" of the recording fills in pleasingly and appears natural, then you are there! If not, a little toe in could create a more live playback experience. A lot of variables such as your musical taste and hearing capabilities, room acoustics (nulls\peaks), equipment integration and overall "live-concert" experiences will tell you when it "Sounds Right"!

Ted
    Sierra RAAL V2 Towers, Axiom EP 500 Sub, Morrow SP7 Grand Reference Speaker Cables, Phillips CD880 XLR Balanced Variable Line Output to Orchard Audio Strakrimson 375w/per ch Stereo Ultra GaNFET Amp..... (Dedicated 2.1 Acoustical Music Listening Room)!

I've tried mine with zero toe-in and it was very nice, but I found to prefer a very, very slight toe-in to accomplish that fully live feeling. I don't yet have treatments in my small room, so once I add a few I will probably try zero toe-in again and see how it does.
    -Alex
    PS4/Nvidia Shield --> Emotiva XMC-1 --> Emotiva XPA-5 --> Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers and Horizon Center w/ RAAL tweeters (L/C/R), HTM-200 SE (Surrounds), 2x Rythmik F12 subwoofers

Thanks for the quick answer! Yes they are the RAAL towers. My room is probably medium in reflective qualities although I dot know how to test for that . I will leave them with no toe in for a while.
    My equipment are the following : parasound p5 preamp, parasound A21 amp, marantz tt15s1 turntable, and a graham slee accession phono stage.
    Thanks again

My room is short and wide, and I'm running no center so I've found I prefer like 5-10deg of toe in. This allows you to more clearly hear the far speaker when you are further to the left or right of MLP. I'm sure there is a trade off, but any detrimental effects are minor compared to the benefits.

My speakers are like 8-10ft apart. Previously if I was more than like a foot wide of one of the speakers, I no longer was getting direction radiation from the tweeter but rather various reflections which quickly pulled the soundstage to the speaker I could hear and away from the screen and center. Now sound always appears to come from between the speakers unless I'm too far away to care (like in the kitchen and can't really hear or see the tv. )