Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Anyone switch from DSL to cable modem or vice versa?

Quote Originally Posted by BGHD View Post
    Exactly what I wanted to know. Thanks. It's too bad Tivo scared away DirecTV with their licensing fees, as I loved my older HD DirecTivo. Not perfect, but miles ahead of the one I lease from my cable company.
    One thing to add....Verizon/FiOS supports Cable Card. So you can get an HD TiVo and use it with their TV service.
    -curtis

Hmm. Interesting. Did not know that. Will have to investigate. Thx.

I just switched from cable modem (Time Warner's roadrunner) to Verizon's fastest DSL. It seems to be equivalent to the cable modem. Verizon's slower DSL was just too pokey for me.

What I've noticed also is that Verizon must have a MUCH more secure network or something. I have firewall software and I would get a million intrusion alerts when I was on the cable modem, but I haven't gotten any since being on Verizon's DSL. Now I'm feeling like my firewall / security software purchase went to waste!
    -- Tom --
    My HT

OK, did some research & appears the overall cost between Fios + Tivo is not much different than DirecTV + DVR. Seems it really comes down to if I want more HD channels but a not-so-great DVR (DirecTV) or better PQ & Tivo (Fios). Still not decided, but am leaning towards Fios + Tivo. Thanks for the heads up Curtis.

Do you have ruled out the FiOS DVR?
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    Do you have ruled out the FiOS DVR?
    I think so. I actually bought the Tivo HD @ Costco this wknd on sale for $249. Will leave it unopened until I make up my mind b/w Fios and DirecTV. What HD channels are on the horizon for Fios? I heard Verizon's quite tight-lipped about this. Is the PQ difference over DirecTV VERY noticeable?

I think so. I actually bought the Tivo HD @ Costco this wknd on sale for $249. Will leave it unopened until I make up my mind b/w Fios and DirecTV. What HD channels are on the horizon for Fios? I heard Verizon's quite tight-lipped about this. Is the PQ difference over DirecTV VERY noticeable?
    $249?? Wow....I have to think about that now.

Yes...FiOS is pretty tight lipped about what is coming down the pipe, but supposed many are due in the spring from what I have read.

I didn't have HDTV when I had DirecTV, but FiOS has a nicer picture than Dish IMO. Just about everything I have read has FiOS with the best picture quality over the others so far.
    -curtis

Yes, costco.com has it for $279, but in-store is $249 (at least at the Cypress store). Of course, it's the lower Series 3 model, but seems to have the same general nuts/bolts of the more expensive version. I haven't had time to research if I can use any ol' SATA drive to expand the memory, which would be sweet. Memory expandability is another big plus for the Tivo/Fios setup.

Any idea how much 2 cable cards would cost from Verizon?

Any idea how much 2 cable cards would cost from Verizon?
    Nope.

I did read that the HDTiVo's are designed to work with a weaker signal than the FiOS STB's. So in some cases, some folks needed to use attenuators with their HDTiVo's to get the best performance.
    -curtis

Of course, don't forget you have to pay the monthly or prepaid Tivo fee. About $8-13/month depending on which package you get. If you buy from weaknees, I think they offer the lifetime deal.