Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Introducing the Sierra-2EX!!!

Default Re: Introducing the Sierra-2EX!!!

Quote Originally Posted by trollbearpig_what View Post
    Wow the whole package?! Ha that's insane..glad to hear it didn't damage your finish! I already purchased this one which seems similar to Blu Tak but claims to be more safe to remove for wood. I'm assuming the hold isn't as strong as Blu Tak but I'll give this one a try and see how it holds. If it's garbage I'm falling back on the Blu Tak. Thanks!

Quakehold! 88111 Museum Putty Neutral https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002VA9NA..._NTXpDbKQQ5HP1
    I have used this exact same stuff -- Quakehold. Works great.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by tkrae11 View Post
    I'm really excited about the Sierra-2EX as I was already saving up for S2s.

I'm interested to know more about the differences between domestic cabinets vs. standard cabinets. Specifically, I'm looking at the natural finish.

BTW, I recently got a pair of cbm-170 SEs and I'm very happy with them and will use them as surrounds later.

Thanks! -Tom K

Hi Tom,

Differences are purely cosmetic and you can see the differences on the photo gallery page. The domestic made cabinets do use a port tube with a larger flare, but I haven't found that it offers any benefit
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by mikesiskav View Post
    Congrats Dave on the new product release! I think this is going to be a big hit. I wish I could upgrade now, but my budget just doesn't have to room for it right now. But one day it will happen!
    Thanks Mike!!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by SunByrne View Post
    Ugh, crushed by timing. I thought it would take Dave much longer to get everything worked out with SEAS, and a little less than two months ago spent $816 to upgrade my S1 NrTs to S2s. Waited like six years from the release of the S2s to do that.

If I had just waited those two short months, for a mere $162 more I could have gone to S2-EXs, which I totally would have done. Now it's going to cost me $656 to get to EXs, and that's just too rich.

Moral of the story: postpone purchases!

Someone with S2s please do the upgrade and tell me it's not a big deal.
    Send me an email when you get a chance....
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Dave, how does the Sierra 2 EX compare to the Horizon? I know the Horizon has higher sensitivity and you had stated in a previous thread that the Horizon was more dynamic than the Sierra 2. However, the new Sierra 2 EX model is said to have better dynamics and an improved midrange, which are two areas that other listeners of the Horizon said were better than the original Sierra 2. How close does the EX come to the Horizon’s performance?

Thanks for working with SEAS to make the EX upgrade an option for existing Sierra owners.
    Last edited by DavidJW02; 08-04-2019 at 05:43 PM. Reason: simplified question

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJW02 View Post
    Dave, how does the Sierra 2 EX compare to the Horizon? I know the Horizon has higher sensitivity and you had stated in a previous thread that the Horizon was more dynamic than the Sierra 2. However, the new Sierra 2 EX model is said to have better dynamics and an improved midrange, which are two areas that other listeners of the Horizon said were better than the original Sierra 2. How close does the EX come to the Horizon’s performance?

Thanks for working with SEAS to make the EX upgrade an option for existing Sierra owners.
    I would say the Sierra-2EX is about 50% closer to the performance of the Horizon with regards to dynamics. The Horizon still has an advantage with regard to dispersion, midrange clarity / detail and output capabilities.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

I will be ordering a pair of the upgrade kit soon, but what should we do with the old cross over and woofer from s2? Any suggestions?

After doing the Sierra 1 -> Sierra 1 SE upgrade and then the Sierra 1 SE -> Sierra 2 upgrade, I think this time I might just sell my Sierra 2's and buy new 2EX's. Crazy to think I originally bought them over 10 years ago.

The used market for S2's is pretty good so it would end up costing about the same as upgrading, plus, the S2 woofers were a tight fit and I'm not sure how easily I'd be able to pull them out.

I thought about doing the same thing, especially with the intro pricing on the 2EX. But I figured it could be a fun project and a way to learn, since I had never done an upgrade before.

I bought the S1 12 years ago now (they had just launched). I skipped the NRT upgrade and heard that early cabinets didn't do well with the S2 upgrade. So I sent my S1 into Ascend... and they were unable to upgrade the cabinets. So I'm glad I didn't try myself! Ascend sold me new cabinets at cost and I got brand new S2 speakers with a fresh warranty about 4 years ago.

So I debated it too and honestly it would cost you roughly the same and as a bonus someone else gets a set of amazing speakers! I didn't get any takers from friends for the S2 so I went ahead and ordered the upgrade kits. I just completed my S2 -> S2EX upgrade for 3 speakers (LCR). Not sure yet what to do with my spare parts.

They're breaking in and then I'll need to redo calibration, but I'm already loving the additional clarity and punch/dynamics!

Quote Originally Posted by justthinking View Post
    I will be ordering a pair of the upgrade kit soon, but what should we do with the old cross over and woofer from s2? Any suggestions?
    We would be happy to take them back and pay for the return shipping on them, but we are not offering any credit for the old parts.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com