Page 6 of 112 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Introducing the Luna Mini Monitor!

Default Re: New for 2016 - Introducing the Sierra Satellite, or “Sierra Sat” for short!

Hi Dave.

How about naming it "Sierra mini"; so as to better suggest the possibility of using them as mains, specially in a small desktop setup.

Keep up the good work!
    Best wishes.

Default Re: New for 2016 - Introducing the Sierra Satellite, or “Sierra Sat” for short!

I think "Sat" works just fine, especially given the market segment these are aimed at, which includes (to some degree) the new SVS Prime Sat. If someone is searching for satellite type speakers these will come up in a search. I have a pair of small 2-way bookshelf speakers that are named Micromonitors" that are substantially larger than the intended size for these.
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Quote Originally Posted by Drowningshrimp View Post
    Awesome, I can't wait to see a frequency chart for these speakers. Roll-off is supposedly great due to the rigidity of the CURV woofers. When do you think you will have a unit put together?
    This is exactly why we are going with the Curv woofers. We tested dozens of other woofers, with different materials and varying types of motors -- the SEAS Curv woofers offer incredible rigidity combined with the best self damping I have yet to measure in woofers this size. In addition, they are much lower mass which greatly improves transient accuracy and stored enery. I feel they are the perfect match to our Sierra-2 RAAL ribbon tweeter (which requires a higher crossover point), even compared to more expensive - "more exotic" woofers

It will be a while before we have a fully functional prototype...
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

I volunteer as a beta tester!!!!! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Mag_Neato View Post
    I think "Sat" works just fine, especially given the market segment these are aimed at, which includes (to some degree) the new SVS Prime Sat. If someone is searching for satellite type speakers these will come up in a search. I have a pair of small 2-way bookshelf speakers that are named Micromonitors" that are substantially larger than the intended size for these.
    I have to agree... For me, "Sierra Mini" conjures up something entirely different than what we are at least trying to accomplish. However, we certainly are not there yet so who knows
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Thanks for your response.

You have my best wishes.

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    I have to agree... For me, "Sierra Mini" conjures up something entirely different than what we are at least trying to accomplish. However, we certainly are not there yet so who knows
    Dave, if the new sat will be intended to act as a center as well just be sure to design the baffle symmetrically like the rest of your speakers. The only gripe I have with the SVS sat is that the baffle has chamfered sides that taper from bottom to top with a matching grill. They look sharp vertically but not so hot horizontally. Can't even remove the SVS logo to try relocating it.
    Last edited by Mag_Neato; 12-11-2015 at 06:54 AM.
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

My listening area necessitates that my speakers are wall-mounted.

Currently I have a pair of CBM 170-SEs, a pair of CMT-340 SEs and a CMT 340 center. Oddly, due to the mounting situation, the smaller CBMs are presently serving as mains, while the bigger CMTs are doing surround duty.

The reason for that is I have found the CMT's sound to be muddy (boxy, bass-heavy and indistinct) in my front wall-mounted set-up. This is due to the CMT's depth, which does not allow enough space between the back wall. I wish my wall mounting hardware had longer arms. I have around 2 inches of space between the port hole and the front wall. I am crossing my speakers to my sub at 80hz.

In contrast, the CBMs are not suffering from the same problem.

My question is:
    Will the Sierra 1 or 2 pose the same problem (when wall-mounted) as the CMTs due to their identical footprint? Please advise. I am looking to upgrade.

Or... will the Sierra Sats be the solution? Will they provide an obvious upgrade from my present set-up?

Thanks,
    Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by sonicboom View Post
    My question is:
    Will the Sierra 1 or 2 pose the same problem (when wall-mounted) as the CMTs due to their identical footprint? Please advise. I am looking to upgrade.

Or... will the Sierra Sats be the solution? Will they provide an obvious upgrade from my present set-up?

Thanks,
    Daniel
    Hi Daniel,

For the Sierra-1 / Sierra-2 -- we offer this solution which works extremely well: http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/sho...on-enhancement!

For the forthcoming Sierra Sat, the problem you are having now will definitely not be an issue
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Hi Daniel,

For the Sierra-1 / Sierra-2 -- we offer this solution which works extremely well: http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/sho...on-enhancement!

For the forthcoming Sierra Sat, the problem you are having now will definitely not be an issue
    Dave,

I'm a little confused. I thought I remembered you mentioning in a previous thread, maybe a year ago, not to use the port plugs in the Sierra 2s, since they were designed specifically for the Sierra 1. I thought I remembered you saying to just cross them over at 80Hz, if you want to place the Sierra 2s close to the wall. I could have remembered this completely wrong but I just wanted to check with you. Thanks.