Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CMT 340SE Center placement

Default CMT 340SE Center placement

Hi everyone,

I bought my first set of bookshelf speakers, AA CMB 170s and a Rythmik LV12R Sub, 3 years ago and absolutely love them for the sound; I've only had soundbars and cheap Best Buy pre-made 5.1s prior to this. I recently decided to expand my setup from a 2.1 to include a center channel when I saw a heck of a deal on a used CMT-340SE Center (less than half the price). Based on previous experience with AA quality, I didn't hesitate to pull the trigger on the speaker.

Fast forward a week, I found several threads talking about rear-ported center speakers being placed inside a TV stand/cabinet...specifically, the ill effects enclosures have on the sound quality (bass resonance?). So, where I am haven't even hooked the speaker up yet and I'm already bummed.

My plan was to put the 340C into the top middle shelf of my DIY TV stand, which is similar to the Salamander Synergy 236. Now, here is the magic question: On a scale of 1 to 10, how hosed am I? There is no way to return the speaker, so if the placement is going to be a problem is there anything I can do to mitigate the problems? Ie. Could I take out the backing from the center section which will open up the back of the speaker to the outside (wall 1.5 ft away); and/or remove the two inside-wall panels directly to the left and right of the cavity, leaving only the two outside walls?

Basically I am looking at how to make this work. Mounting the speaker on a wall above the TV is not an option as the setup backs up to a window (I know, not ideal, but it's the best I can do right now. Placing the speaker on top of the stand, in front of the TV is also not ideal, as the speaker is too tall and will obstruct bottom portion of the TV. I could raise the TV with a DIY spacer or put the TV on top of the speaker, however, that will raise the TV 10" above my "ideal" viewing height.

Anyway, I think I've rambled on long enough. I suppose last ditch effort would be bite the bullet and sell the speaker. Let me know what you guys and gals think.

Anyway,I think I need a beer....Cheers.
    Last edited by RussianMeance; 11-23-2016 at 08:19 AM.

Default Re: CMT 340SE Center placement

Dave will probably chime in here with a real answer for you, but as far as I can tell it's not a huge issue with Ascend speakers. It's not ideal, but I don't think it's a deal-breaker either. The problem's you'll get with ports in a cabinet really depend on the speaker and with the CMT series it's not a huge problem like it can be on some other speakers. As long as you have a few inches behind the speaker in the cabinet, it should sound fine and likely better than what you have now. I'd give it a shot and just see how your ears like it.

I think removing the back panel where the center speaker sits would be the best idea to improve the sound.
    -Alex
    PS4/Nvidia Shield --> Emotiva XMC-1 --> Emotiva XPA-5 --> Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers and Horizon Center w/ RAAL tweeters (L/C/R), HTM-200 SE (Surrounds), 2x Rythmik F12 subwoofers

Quote Originally Posted by RussianMeance View Post
    Hi everyone,

I bought my first set of bookshelf speakers, AA CMB 170s and a Rythmik LV12R Sub, 3 years ago and absolutely love them for the sound; I've only had soundbars and cheap Best Buy pre-made 5.1s prior to this. I recently decided to expand my setup from a 2.1 to include a center channel when I saw a heck of a deal on a used CMT-340SE Center (less than half the price). Based on previous experience with AA quality, I didn't hesitate to pull the trigger on the speaker.

Fast forward a week, I found several threads talking about rear-ported center speakers being placed inside a TV stand/cabinet...specifically, the ill effects enclosures have on the sound quality (bass resonance?). So, where I am haven't even hooked the speaker up yet and I'm already bummed.

My plan was to put the 340C into the top middle shelf of my DIY TV stand, which is similar to the Salamander Synergy 236. Now, here is the magic question: On a scale of 1 to 10, how hosed am I? There is no way to return the speaker, so if the placement is going to be a problem is there anything I can do to mitigate the problems? Ie. Could I take out the backing from the center section which will open up the back of the speaker to the outside (wall 1.5 ft away); and/or remove the two inside-wall panels directly to the left and right of the cavity, leaving only the two outside walls?

Basically I am looking at how to make this work. Mounting the speaker on a wall above the TV is not an option as the setup backs up to a window (I know, not ideal, but it's the best I can do right now. Placing the speaker on top of the stand, in front of the TV is also not ideal, as the speaker is too tall and will obstruct bottom portion of the TV. I could raise the TV with a DIY spacer or put the TV on top of the speaker, however, that will raise the TV 10" above my "ideal" viewing height.

Anyway, I think I've rambled on long enough. I suppose last ditch effort would be bite the bullet and sell the speaker. Let me know what you guys and gals think.

Anyway,I think I need a beer....Cheers.
    If you are using a subwoofer and able to cross the 340 center at 80Hz, the rear port is basically rendered moot and no issues at all. We have thousands of customers using rear ported speakers in TV stands

Now, I will say - ported or non-ported, placing any speaker inside an enclosure will ultimately compromise performance but acoustics is always compromised by aesthetics...
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    If you are using a subwoofer and able to cross the 340 center at 80Hz, the rear port is basically rendered moot and no issues at all.
    Is this true with other ported speakers in the Ascend line, or is it that the port tuning is a bit higher than on Sierra1 or Sierra 2s? I own the Sierra 2s specifically, so I guess I am most interested in potentially close placement to the wall for those speakers.

If you are using a subwoofer and able to cross the 340 center at 80Hz, the rear port is basically rendered moot and no issues at all. We have thousands of customers using rear ported speakers in TV stands

Now, I will say - ported or non-ported, placing any speaker inside an enclosure will ultimately compromise performance but acoustics is always compromised by aesthetics...
    Good deal. So set xover in my Denon to 80hz for center just like the L/R 170s. Leave the LV12R xover on 120hz and run Audessey?

Quote Originally Posted by RussianMeance View Post
    Good deal. So set xover in my Denon to 80hz for center just like the L/R 170s. Leave the LV12R xover on 120hz and run Audessey?
    Exactly
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by N Boros View Post
    Is this true with other ported speakers in the Ascend line, or is it that the port tuning is a bit higher than on Sierra1 or Sierra 2s? I own the Sierra 2s specifically, so I guess I am most interested in potentially close placement to the wall for those speakers.
    Same with Sierra-1 or Sierra-2
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

So, finally got to playing around with the setup and.....sounds great ( at least to my untrained ears).

When I first ran Audyssey, it had set crossovers at 60Hz for LR/C. However, the center sounded like like it was in a bathroom, if that makes sense. I switched the crossover on center to 80Hz and all seems well. I also removed the panel that's behind the speaker, so that may have helped. I'm in the process of re-making the av cabinet (slightly smaller) so we'll see how it goes.

Anyway, thanks for all the help guys. Now, if I could only score a good deal on a pair of CMT340's for LR and move the 170's to surround...hahah.

Exactly
    Dave, I am confused: with L/R/C crossed at 80Hz and the sub at 120Hz is there not an overlap in, with speakers and sub emitting sound in the 80-120Hz region? I am obviously missing something, as you are most definitely the expert, not me

Quote Originally Posted by MusicHead View Post
    Dave, I am confused: with L/R/C crossed at 80Hz and the sub at 120Hz is there not an overlap in, with speakers and sub emitting sound in the 80-120Hz region? I am obviously missing something, as you are most definitely the expert, not me
    Hmm.. now I am confused.

Not quite sure I understand your post. If you set the speakers to small with an 80Hz crossover in your receiver, the receiver essentially sends 80Hz and below (12dB/octave slope) to your subwoofer and 80Hz and above (12dB/octave slope) to your speakers. Crossover point is determined by the receiver or processor - not the subwoofer. I am not sure where you are getting 120Hz from?
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com