Page 25 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2021222324252627 LastLast

Thread: Which center? Luna, S2, or Horizon?

Default Re: Which center? Luna, S2, or Horizon?

Quote Originally Posted by daddyo View Post
    Whew, reading thru all 24 pages has been an endurance challenge. Can I re-ask the original thread question - "Which center ? Luna Duo v2.0, Sierra 2EX, or Horizon ?"
    Your post made me laugh... Somewhere / somehow your original question was forgotten, sorry about that.

Here is my recommendation in order of priority

Assuming you are a subwoofer:

1. Horizon
    2. Sierra-2EX if can be positioned vertically
    3. Duo V2 center
    4. Sierra-2EX positioned horizontally.

If no subwoofer:

1. Horizon
    2. Sierra-2EX positioned vertically
    3. Sierra-2EX positioned horizontally
    4. Duo V2 center

Hope this helps!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Price increases on just about every product is inevitable at this point. Material costs are skyrocketing right now with no relief in sight. Add to that massive increases in transportation and labor costs - our already thin margins are not sustainable at this point.

Yes, there will be some price increases, but this is not due to the V2 versions. V2 versions do cost us a bit more to manufacture but we can and are willing to absorb that increased production cost.

Upgrading Luna / Duo to the new V2 standard will be available. I haven't worked out the details for this just yet, but if there is a cost - it will be extremely reasonable. Thankfully, there are no cabinet changes from V1 to V2.
    Glad to hear upgrades will be available. Also glad that your recovery seems to be going well!

PS: If you guys start a list to notify owners when the upgrades are available, please add me as well.
    Last edited by Mahawkma; 09-06-2021 at 10:21 AM.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________
    HT Set-up: Anthem MRX-740, Ascend Acoustics Sierra Tower V2, Luna Duo V2 Center, Luna surrounds, Revel M55XC Heights, Rythmik F12
    Desktop/Gaming Set-up: Pioneer MRX-740 8K, Sierra LX LR, Ascend Luna V2 Center, Cambridge Minx Min 12 heights; Rythmik F12

You've probably covered this before, but could you explain the difference between the Sierra 2EX and Duo V2 and their change in ordered preference between the two scenarios (sub or no sub)?

Dave,

Well, that was certainly a tour de force!

As a long-time and repeated Ascend customer I cannot tell you how gratifying it was to get that much detail on your process. I cannot imagine anyone else is that dedicated to both having the best possible measurement setup and being so transparent in providing their customers with the gory (but fascinating) details of the process. The fact that all of this got started because of a single negative review, well, that's just a testament to how seriously committed you are to what you do.

And through broken ribs, yikes. I broke a rib (and cracked a couple more) in graduate school. Your description is apt—at first, just breathing hurts. It's really no fun at all and takes a long time to recover—and that was when I was like 24 years old. I'm sure at my (and your) age it's an even longer and more challenging recovery. I'm amazed you were able to get through all that despite your health issues. We (your customers) are incredibly fortunate.

Also, I'm super-impressed with the V2 graphs! Those horizontal dispersion plots are just amazing, looks like even wider dispersion than the 2EX. Makes me just a tiny bit curious if there will be a new crossover for the 2EX coming as well.

And, of course, as someone who has upgraded multiple sets of S1 cabinets over the years and now owns three Duos (LCR), whenever you have the upgrade kits available, please let me know—that's an insta-buy from me. I'm curious about what they'll be; crossovers and some foam, yes?

Anyway, thanks, Dave. Super impressive.
    Luna Duo V2 LR, Titan Horizon V2, and Rythmik L22 & L12 in HT, Sierra-LXs in study, S-2EXs and Duo V2 C in bedroom, S-1 NrTs in dining room, S-1s at work, HTM-200s in kitchen. Brother owns CMT-340s and dad has a pair of CBM-170s.

Your post made me laugh... Somewhere / somehow your original question was forgotten, sorry about that.

Here is my recommendation in order of priority

Assuming you are a subwoofer:

1. Horizon
    2. Sierra-2EX if can be positioned vertically
    3. Duo V2 center
    4. Sierra-2EX positioned horizontally.

If no subwoofer:

1. Horizon
    2. Sierra-2EX positioned vertically
    3. Sierra-2EX positioned horizontally
    4. Duo V2 center

Hope this helps!
    Dave, what about the Sierra 1 center in the same position you put the 2EX?

Quote Originally Posted by D33vious View Post
    You've probably covered this before, but could you explain the difference between the Sierra 2EX and Duo V2 and their change in ordered preference between the two scenarios (sub or no sub)?
    The center channel handles the majority of special effects, not just dialogue. Bass is critically important for a home theater system so if no sub is being used, the Sierra-2EX for the center is the better choice since it has significantly deeper bass extension and punch.

Hope this clarifies.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Hey Dave, hope all is well.

Any idea of when you plan to release Klippel test results of your flagship RAAL towers?
    3.2, Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers with RAAL ribbon tweeters and $20 McMaster ‘threaded-stud bumper feet’, Ascend Acoustics Duo LCR center, dual SVS SB-3000 subs, Outlaw 2200 monoblocks, Denon X3500H

Quote Originally Posted by John Galt View Post

Any idea of when you plan to release Klippel test results of your flagship RAAL towers?
    Very interested in this as well.

Quote Originally Posted by John Galt View Post

Testing towers with the NFS is a bit complicated due to both height and mic distance limitations. Klippel offers 2 versions of the NFS, one standard and one with a longer Z-Axis (more expensive). We purchased the unit with the longer Z-Axis which was in anticipation of being able to test our towers.

Coincidentally, I spent much of the weekend reconfiguring our NFS to allow for a greater microphone distance (R-Axis extension) and increased microphone height (due to limited ceiling height). I am hoping this new configuration will allow for an accurate test of our towers, but we are not quite there yet.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Testing towers with the NFS is a bit complicated due to both height and mic distance limitations. Klippel offers 2 versions of the NFS, one standard and one with a longer Z-Axis (more expensive). We purchased the unit with the longer Z-Axis which was in anticipation of being able to test our towers.

Coincidentally, I spent much of the weekend reconfiguring our NFS to allow for a greater microphone distance (R-Axis extension) and increased microphone height (due to limited ceiling height). I am hoping this new configuration will allow for an accurate test of our towers, but we are not quite there yet.
    How much fun are you having with the Klippel on a scale of 1 to 10?
    3.2, Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers with RAAL ribbon tweeters and $20 McMaster ‘threaded-stud bumper feet’, Ascend Acoustics Duo LCR center, dual SVS SB-3000 subs, Outlaw 2200 monoblocks, Denon X3500H