Page 237 of 271 FirstFirst ... 232233234235236237238239240241242 ... LastLast
Results 2,361 to 2,370 of 2707

Thread: The Tower Discussion Thread!

Default Sierra Tower vs Revel F206 and Others

I happened upon Ascend Acoustics about a week ago after reading a post on AVS Forum concerning a comparison between a pair of Sierra-2EXes and a pair of Revel F206 floorstanders which cost twice as much. The reviewer owned both pairs of speakers and actually concluded that the Sierra's exhibited better overall sound than the much more expensive F206 towers. I was surprised and decided to check it out. So, here I am....and I am very interested in learning about the Sierra Towers with the RAAL tweeter.

Here is my current setup:
    Yamaha Aventage RX-A2060 AVR, 2 X Outlaw Audio Model 2200 Amps (fronts), Klipsch: RP-280F, RP-250F (surrounds), RP-250C, R-14S (F. Presence); SVS SB-3000 SWs X 2, Bluesound Node 2i, Samsung BD-F5900 BP, Roku Ultra, LG OLED 55C6P UHD.

Looking forward to getting as much thoughtful input into the Sierra Towers as possible, with the intent of possibly purchasing a pair. I am also considering the Revel F36, Revel F206, Monitor Audio Silver 300, and Paradigm Premier 800F. Any first-hand information anyone has in comparing the Sierra Towers to any of the other brands I just mentioned (especially the Revels), would be highly appreciated!
    Last edited by Mark6088; 02-15-2020 at 08:01 PM.

Default Re: Sierra Tower vs Revel F206 and Others

Quote Originally Posted by Mark6088 View Post
    I happened upon Ascend Acoustics about a week ago after reading a post on AVS Forum concerning a comparison between a pair of Sierra-2EXes and a pair of Revel F206 floorstanders which cost twice as much. The reviewer owned both pairs of speakers and actually concluded that the Sierra's exhibited better overall sound than the much more expensive F206 towers. I was surprised and decided to check it out. So, here I am....and I am very interested in learning about the Sierra Towers with the RAAL tweeter.

Here is my current setup:
    Yamaha Aventage RX-A2060 AVR, 2 X Outlaw Audio Model 2200 Amps (fronts), Klipsch: RP-280F, RP-250F (surrounds), RP-250C, R-14S (F. Presence); SVS SB-3000 SWs X 2, Bluesound Node 2i, Samsung BD-F5900 BP, Roku Ultra, LG OLED 55C6P UHD.

Looking forward to getting as much thoughtful input into the Sierra Towers as possible, with the intent of possibly purchasing a pair. I am also considering the Revel F36, Revel F206, Monitor Audio Silver 300, and Paradigm Premier 800F. Any first-hand information anyone has in comparing the Sierra Towers to any of the other brands I just mentioned (especially the Revels), would be highly appreciated!
    Many internet companies are still flying under the radar a bit so their value is going to be much greater than what you will find in the local stores. I'm a ribbon fanboy, so I'm a bit biased. I've never had the chance to hear the Revels, but I haven't heard any metal dome tweeters that are pleasing to my ears. Always fatiguing.

I have the same Outlaw amps as you with a Yamaha RX-A880, paired with the 2EX. I could listen to them all day. They are so good that I've nearly lost the upgrade addiction. We'll see, haha. I actually had the same Klipsch as you as well. They are a great value, but I was growing tired of the horns.

Unless you have an easy way to demo your other options, I'd just get the Sierras and forget about it. The RAAL is magic.
    Last edited by Spamilton; 02-16-2020 at 12:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spamilton View Post
    Many internet companies are still flying under the radar a bit so their value is going to be much greater than what you will find in the local stores. I'm a ribbon fanboy, so I'm a bit biased. I've never had the chance to hear the Revels, but I haven't heard any metal dome tweeters that are pleasing to my ears. Always fatiguing.

I have the same Outlaw amps as you with a Yamaha RX-A880, paired with the 2EX. I could listen to them all day. They are so good that I've nearly lost the upgrade addiction. We'll see, haha. I actually had the same Klipsch as you as well. They are a great value, but I was growing tired of the horns.

Unless you have an easy way to demo your other options, I'd just get the Sierras and forget about it. The RAAL is magic.
    Thanks for input! Sounds like the RAAL Towers eliminated your listener fatigue problem. I also have that issue with these Klipsch fronts and it is the main factor I am looking to upgrade. I have enjoyed the RP-280Fs for a couple years now, but the horns can be a bit bright and harsh on some material. Enhanced clarity and detail is also important to me, especially in the mid-range. And, it sounds like the RAAL Towers accomplish that as well.

I heard a pair of Monitor Audio Studios with ribbon tweeters at a dealer a couple weeks back and they were impressive. Very smooth and detailed. So, I am pretty sure I would enjoy the RAAL tweeter. The cost on these RAAL Towers is definitely on the upper end that I feel comfortable spending (and that my wife wouldn’t feel is too ridiculous), but I want to get it right since I am pushing 60 and I want this to be my last floorstander purchase.

Understandable that you want to get it right. I can only tell you that they are significantly better than Klipsch RPs as well as similarly priced KEFs. I owned the LS50s and heard the R3s. The Sierras remind me a lot of my Emotiva Stealth monitors in my office, presumably due to the ribbon.

Another option is finding a place that will do free or at least cheap returns, though I know that is cumbersome with towers. I hope you find what you're looking for!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark6088 View Post
    I heard a pair of Monitor Audio Studios with ribbon tweeters at a dealer a couple weeks back and they were impressive. Very smooth and detailed. So, I am pretty sure I would enjoy the RAAL tweeter.
    I think you will find the RAAL true ribbon tweeter to be a step up from an air motion transformer such as used in the Studios. If you can swing the cost, you won't be disappointed. I absolutely love my RAAL tower, Horizon, S2-EX, Rythmik E15 setup. Even though I have had them a while, I still find myself amazed by their performance and worth every dollar spent.

Quote Originally Posted by white_darren View Post
    I think you will find the RAAL true ribbon tweeter to be a step up from an air motion transformer such as used in the Studios.
    And in the the Stealths. The RAAL tweeters are much different in how they work.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by white_darren View Post
    I think you will find the RAAL true ribbon tweeter to be a step up from an air motion transformer such as used in the Studios. If you can swing the cost, you won't be disappointed. I absolutely love my RAAL tower, Horizon, S2-EX, Rythmik E15 setup. Even though I have had them a while, I still find myself amazed by their performance and worth every dollar spent.
    Thanks for your impressions and experience and pointing out that there is a difference between the RAAL and what is in the the Studios. I will probably end up with the same speaker setup that you have, with the exception of the subs. I have two SVS SB-3000s that are less than a year old and I am thinking those will be the last subs I will have to buy.

Default Distance From Back Wall?

Is there a recommended, minimum distance from the back wall that the Sierra Towers should be placed?

Default Tower and Horizon finish question

Could someone post close up pictures of the Black Matte finish? I am considering that or the Satin Espresso.

Trying to determine of the matte black is smooth and good enough for a living room.

Thanks!

Default Re: Tower and Horizon finish question

Quote Originally Posted by kma100 View Post
    Could someone post close up pictures of the Black Matte finish? I am considering that or the Satin Espresso.

Trying to determine of the matte black is smooth and good enough for a living room.

Thanks!
    http://www.ascendacoustics.com/image...gle_usa_lg.jpg
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables