Page 38 of 64 FirstFirst ... 3334353637383940414243 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you listening to? (Music)

Default Re: What are you listening to? (Music)

Thanks for all the videos and tips re: Porcupine Tree.

How do The Pineapple Thief and Dream Theater relate or compare to PT? I seem to see those bands mentioned a lot when PT is mentioned. Maybe it is just coincidence. Would a fan of Porcupine Tree like those bands? Other suggestions?

Allmusic: "While (The Pineapple Thief's) music is often likened to Radiohead's and Porcupine Tree's, the generalization falls far short in describing a constantly evolving sound that deftly balances sophisticated indie pop, theatrical rock, 21st century prog, textured electro-acoustic ambiences, and neo-psychedelia. While earlier recordings such as Variations on a Dream may have justified some critics' capacity for comparison to Porcupine Tree and other genre-bleeding acts, later recordings, such as 2008's Tightly Unwound -- their KScope debut -- showcased increasingly expansive pop songwriting that featured canny arrangements and advanced instrumental acumen."

Allmusic: "Long Island, New York's Dream Theater are the globally celebrated standard bearers for progressive metal in the 21st century. Their ability to deliver tight, melodic, musically sophisticated songs and thematic concept recordings encompassing elements of hook-based hard rock, riff-fueled metal, syncopated prog, and refined lyrics have made them the act others are measured by."
    Last edited by donaldekelly; 11-23-2021 at 07:20 PM. Reason: just adding some opinions I found
    "Senior Member" AKA - long time loiterer, far from knowledgeable

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Fantastic, and IMO, the best PT song.

Also check out Gavin's work with The Pineapple Thief
    Admittedly my tastes lean toward the heavier side, but you and I seem to line up closely with a lot of music!

I haven't heard any Pineapple Thief but they're definitely on my radar to check out now. Gavin is an amazing drummer with incredible limb independence.

Can't comment on Pinneapple Thief as not heard any of their stuff, but I can hear some similarities between Porcupine Tree (just listened to The Incident yesterday, will listen to Signify over the holiday, and have Fear of a Blank Planet on order as Dave mentioned it's his favorite) and Dream Theater. I think if you like PT you'll like Dream Theater, although I've not heard any of their newer stuff but listened to alot of their older stuff. Try the Images and Words or Awake albums. I also saw DT many years ago live...great show.

Happy Thanksgiving to all

Quote Originally Posted by donaldekelly View Post
    Thanks for all the videos and tips re: Porcupine Tree.

How do The Pineapple Thief and Dream Theater relate or compare to PT? I seem to see those bands mentioned a lot when PT is mentioned. Maybe it is just coincidence. Would a fan of Porcupine Tree like those bands? Other suggestions?

Allmusic: "While (The Pineapple Thief's) music is often likened to Radiohead's and Porcupine Tree's, the generalization falls far short in describing a constantly evolving sound that deftly balances sophisticated indie pop, theatrical rock, 21st century prog, textured electro-acoustic ambiences, and neo-psychedelia. While earlier recordings such as Variations on a Dream may have justified some critics' capacity for comparison to Porcupine Tree and other genre-bleeding acts, later recordings, such as 2008's Tightly Unwound -- their KScope debut -- showcased increasingly expansive pop songwriting that featured canny arrangements and advanced instrumental acumen."

Allmusic: "Long Island, New York's Dream Theater are the globally celebrated standard bearers for progressive metal in the 21st century. Their ability to deliver tight, melodic, musically sophisticated songs and thematic concept recordings encompassing elements of hook-based hard rock, riff-fueled metal, syncopated prog, and refined lyrics have made them the act others are measured by."
    I'd say PT is a little more psychadelic prog rock and DT has a more metal sound. Both are great and unique within their respective genres, and talented musicians across the board. DT I would consider the heavier sounding of the 2.

Oops - I started the abbreviation of PT - by which I meant Porcupine Tree. I assume racrawford65 meant PTree also, and Pogre meant PThief

I think TPT is the preferred abreviation for The Pineapple Thief. I enjoy them very much, especially the album 'Your Wilderness'. Their live bluray is excellent as well with two different surround mixes and includes the complete 'Your Wilderness' album in surround.
    Nate

Quote Originally Posted by natetg57 View Post
    I think TPT is the preferred abreviation for The Pineapple Thief. I enjoy them very much, especially the album 'Your Wilderness'. Their live bluray is excellent as well with two different surround mixes and includes the complete 'Your Wilderness' album in surround.
    Just for the record, when I type "PT" I'm referring to Porcupine Tree... TPT just hit my radar so they're on my to do list.

Ditto ... PT = Porcupine Tree...

Checking out TPT right now starting with their album "Your Wilderness", song 1 "In Exile" and wow. If you told me it was Porcupine Tree I'd believe it. I know it's because I recognize Gavin's playing. I'm sure after spending more time listening they'll take on their own sound. I used to think Chevelle sounded a lot like Tool but that melted away after listening to them some more.

So far so good tho. I like what I'm hearing.

As an aside - is there a discussion on the forum of mp3 services like Spotify vs purchasing the albums - or CDS? I will prbobably find it if I just search.

I am just in the habit of buying CDS and like having something to hold in my hand - but there is no logic there. Buying CDS is much better for the artists usually. I just remembered I signed up for spotify so will probably use Spotify and Pogre's linked videos to checkout TPT and DT to see what cds I purchase next.