Page 86 of 271 FirstFirst ... 8182838485868788899091 ... LastLast

Thread: The Tower Discussion Thread!

Default Re: The Tower Discussion Thread!

Just finished setting up my espresso towers with RAAL tweeter. I can easily say these are the best speakers I have heard, even comparing them to speakers costing 2x the amount. I have heard all of the Paradigm Signature Series, the PSB Synchrony and Imagine lines, B&W CM Series, Thiel SC4ST, Revel F32 and F52, Polk LSiM Series, and Totem line. The coherence of these are phenomenal the mids are just right without being too forward like in the Polks and never sound harsh or edgy in the treble like the B&W, Revel, Paradigm, and Thiel. The PSB speakers, especially the Imagine line, are almost unlistenable for me. I was very worried buying such expensive speakers online, but my gamble definitely paid off. I am a very picky customer and I could not be happier with these speakers. The fit and finish of these are beyond reproach, and they are beautiful to behold. I have the speakers toed in approximately 15 degrees and use regular terminated (banana plugs) Belden 10 gauge cable. Associated equipment is an HK-990 integrated amplifier with its matching HD-990 CD player.

Quote Originally Posted by parimento1 View Post
    Just finished setting up my espresso towers with RAAL tweeter. I can easily say these are the best speakers I have heard, even comparing them to speakers costing 2x the amount. I have heard all of the Paradigm Signature Series, the PSB Synchrony and Imagine lines, B&W CM Series, Thiel SC4ST, Revel F32 and F52, Polk LSiM Series, and Totem line. The coherence of these are phenomenal the mids are just right without being too forward like in the Polks and never sound harsh or edgy in the treble like the B&W, Revel, Paradigm, and Thiel. The PSB speakers, especially the Imagine line, are almost unlistenable for me. I was very worried buying such expensive speakers online, but my gamble definitely paid off. I am a very picky customer and I could not be happier with these speakers. The fit and finish of these are beyond reproach, and they are beautiful to behold. I have the speakers toed in approximately 15 degrees and use regular terminated (banana plugs) Belden 10 gauge cable. Associated equipment is an HK-990 integrated amplifier with its matching HD-990 CD player.
    I also have just received, and set up my espresso Sierra Towers with the ribbon tweets (1/31/12)! I'm barely able to break away from the listening room long enough to post, but the previous impressions encouraged me to write a bit about these beautiful looking, and sounding speakers.

First off, let me say that they are stunning aesthetically. In comparison to the gloss espresso Sierras, they are a shade lighter, but also the satin Tower finish shows off the natural grain of the bamboo way more than the gloss. Simple, understated, elegance either with, or without the grilles, the Towers are a fine example of form following function.

And what function! I am not one whom has heard a whole bunch of the current crop of speakers on the market recently, so I shall certainly not post any comparative thoughts.

What I will say, however, is that I've spent enough of my youth going to concerts, and clubs that I have an indelible impression as to what real, live music sounds like. The excitement that is a live performance is extremely dynamic. There is nothing warm, and fuzzy about a drummer beating a wood stick on a cymbal, or a snare drum. Everything from the growl of a bass line, to the pluck of a guitar string, to the sharp blare of a trumpet, imparts a lot of energy that excites the senses. That is what makes music a thrill. And that is what these Sierra Towers give to music. They do it with composure, an iron grip on driver control, and brutal realism.

Bass is the tightest, most controlled I've ever heard. Voices, both male, and female are shockingly real, at times you'll look up thinking someone is actually there. Percussion that hits with real force, and yet perfect tonality. And those RAALs!!! Bells that just sparkle around the room, floating on air in some of the 5.1 mixes! A flute vibrato that is just too exquisite to be described. Horns, from trumpets, to trombones, to saxophones, with all of their little nuances, harmonics, grit, it's all there, and the Towers are just cruising along effortlessly.

A great big WOW, and once again THANK YOU Dave F. for the hard work, and an incredible product at a ridiculously fair price. Well done!!!

Jay

Quote Originally Posted by Mike^S View Post
    Hi Dave, would it possible to have a Sierra-1 bookshelf with a RAAL tweeter? Could that work?
    Hi Mike,

As copied from my answer in another thread:

We have been getting a lot of requests for this, at least one per day... I think at this point it is something we are going to have to investigate. Due to the depth of the RAAL ribbon we are using, it will not fit into the current Sierra-1 cabinet so a new cabinet will have to be designed.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by mariob33 View Post
    Dave,

So the center will ship soon - have all of the first run allocations been filled already? Assuming if one didn't get a call for preorder, one didn't make the initial list.
    I am happy to say that we will start shipping the centers next week. We placed a large order for cabinets so depending on the finish you are interested in, there are still units available. Please give us a call or send us an email. Thanks!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Default The STC -- this is NO "center" channel speaker!!!

I am pleased to say that the first few STC’s made their way down our production line today. Just for fun, we decided to listen to a pair of them for 2-channel music in our demo room, and……. that is where I have been for that past 4 ½ hours…

I am not one to hype a product and many of you will take this as a sales pitch, but I am seriously blown away by the performance of these new speakers. The dynamics are just insane and the speaker’s ability to throw sound not only at you but also around you is seriously startling.

Not only are these the absolute perfect match to the Sierra Towers, but their performance as mains is causing me to re-think everything. Although this is EASILY the absolute best center I have ever heard, I must re-consider our original intention to market this speaker as a “center” Their performance as left/right mains is, quite frankly, astonishing and I can see many people using these as fronts.

I assure you, this was completely unexpected but their performance far exceeds the sum of their parts and for those who don’t yet own Sierra Towers or for those who need something smaller or don’t have the floor space, these absolutely must be seriously considered as mains.

Rather than Sierra Tower Center, how about STC for Sierra Tower Compact, or the CST, Compact Sierra Tower? HST for Horizontal Sierra Tower?

I will post some fun stuff later but it is now nearly 10:00pm PST and I need to get home… after one more not so quick listening session

Wow… sums it up nicely…
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Default Re: The STC -- this is NO "center" channel speaker!!!

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Not only are these the absolute perfect match to the Sierra Towers, but their performance as mains is causing me to re-think everything. ... Their performance as left/right mains is, quite frankly, astonishing and I can see many people using these as fronts.
    Nice to hear Dave! My concern, though, is that I made the wrong choice ordering the "vertical" Sierra Towers today!
    Please tell me this "center" won't outperform my towers !
    That would be weird!

Rather than Sierra Tower Center, how about STC for Sierra Tower Compact, or the CST, Compact Sierra Tower? HST for Horizontal Sierra Tower?
    "Tower Center" or "Horizontal Tower" is a logical paradox since a tower is a vertical structure.

I'd prefer that "tower" is dropped. Besides, they will probably work great with a Sierra-1 pair as well. How about just Horizontal Sierra, or ... Sierra Horizon ?

I am pleased to say that the first few STC’s made their way down our production line today. Just for fun, we decided to listen to a pair of them for 2-channel music in our demo room, and……. that is where I have been for that past 4 ½ hours…

I am not one to hype a product and many of you will take this as a sales pitch, but I am seriously blown away by the performance of these new speakers. The dynamics are just insane and the speaker’s ability to throw sound not only at you but also around you is seriously startling.

Not only are these the absolute perfect match to the Sierra Towers, but their performance as mains is causing me to re-think everything. Although this is EASILY the absolute best center I have ever heard, I must re-consider our original intention to market this speaker as a “center” Their performance as left/right mains is, quite frankly, astonishing and I can see many people using these as fronts.

I assure you, this was completely unexpected but their performance far exceeds the sum of their parts and for those who don’t yet own Sierra Towers or for those who need something smaller or don’t have the floor space, these absolutely must be seriously considered as mains.

I will post some fun stuff later but it is now nearly 10:00pm PST and I need to get home… after one more not so quick listening session

Wow… sums it up nicely…
    Yesterday I was listening to a Chesky SACD, David Hazeltine Trio "The Jobim Songbook" in plain stereo through my new Towers. I had to make sure it was just stereo because the drum kit was located about 2 feet to the OUTSIDE of the right speaker. I thought "how cool is this?" I can hardly believe the sound stage, and imaging my new Towers produce, it's quite amazing.

I like the name Sierra Horizon posted previously. Waiting patiently for mine, the pair of Towers has quenched my thirst, it's so much easier now LOL!

Jay

I just spent about 30 minutes searching through the forum for an answer to this question but couldn't find anything. Forgive me if it's been answered before.

I am considering upgrading my Sierra-1 LCR (+ D15SE) setup with the new Towers. Unbelievably, my wife prefers the looks of the towers to the bookshelf speakers.

The problem is, I have no space for the STC Center. What are your opinions on using the Towers w/ Ribbons with a Sierra-1 NrT center? For my surrounds, I have in-ceiling Sonance S623TR (which Dave recommended as a good choice of in-ceilings to match the Sierra-1s a while back.)

Thanks everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by petmotel View Post
    Yesterday I was listening to a Chesky SACD, David Hazeltine Trio "The Jobim Songbook" in plain stereo through my new Towers. I had to make sure it was just stereo because the drum kit was located about 2 feet to the OUTSIDE of the right speaker. I thought "how cool is this?" I can hardly believe the sound stage, and imaging my new Towers produce, it's quite amazing.

I like the name Sierra Horizon posted previously. Waiting patiently for mine, the pair of Towers has quenched my thirst, it's so much easier now LOL!

Jay
    i found the same thing, i finally understand staging! with correct placement of the towers, music, in just stereo mode, fills your ears. i felt like the singer was in front of me (was listening to Michael Buble) and his orchestra was all around him, and you can hear the depth of the music being further back and surrounding him. woah!

cant wait for the rest of my order to come in - STC, 170se's x4, and an f15 sub. woohoo!

Dave, I hope this doesnt mean we should all be considering 3 centers instead of towers.. do i change my order now? doh!

Quote Originally Posted by logicology View Post
    I just spent about 30 minutes searching through the forum for an answer to this question but couldn't find anything. Forgive me if it's been answered before.

I am considering upgrading my Sierra-1 LCR (+ D15SE) setup with the new Towers. Unbelievably, my wife prefers the looks of the towers to the bookshelf speakers.

The problem is, I have no space for the STC Center. What are your opinions on using the Towers w/ Ribbons with a Sierra-1 NrT center? For my surrounds, I have in-ceiling Sonance S623TR (which Dave recommended as a good choice of in-ceilings to match the Sierra-1s a while back.)

Thanks everyone!
    I have the Towers with the RAAL and use the Sierra-1 center with Nrt and it blends well for me. I do of course plan to get the STC (RAAL version) eventually but right now, I am more than happy! We would both have very similar setups, I also have the D15SE, but my surrounds are sierras