Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: *** Special: Ascend + IcePower!

Thumbs up Re: *** Special: Ascend + IcePower!

Looks good, but I'm very surprised to see Molex plugs carrying ANYTHING to that tube input stage myself.....from the looks of the wiring I'm assuming that's just the power to the tube/circuit.
    All of the tube stuff I've done in the past has been very picky about lead length/connections/dress, etc., so with capacitance issues and such there was no way I could get away with that.

I can't afford a 2K front, so I'm gonna have to live with my Boston Acoustics A7200(Sherwood A965) for the time being.........I can wish though!

Maybe some day

Default Re: *** Special: Ascend + IcePower!

Hello all,
    I hope I'm not hijacking this thread, but does anyone have any thoughts about all the hooplah with the Class D Audio DIY site that has in depth disscusions of these ICE amps over at the avs forums? Forgive me if I should not be posting this.

I've heard (and believe) that the ClassD amp kits are pretty great for the money. But (and this is a big BUT) as you point out, they are DIY. In addition to the kits, you would probably need to spend a couple hundred $ on an enclosure and parts (binding posts, balanced or unbalanced inputs, wiring, IEC power cable and outlet, etc). And you need to have the time and interest (and tools) it takes to assemble it.

With a product like the Virtue ICE amp, you are paying quite a bit extra, but you are paying for engineering that went in to how to optimally assemble said pieces together into a tried and tested product with loads of nice fit and finish, comprehensive warranty, etc.

So, even if the sound quality and performance at the end of the day rivals products such as the Virtue ICE amps, these are products aimed at a very different market: It would almost be like comparing Ascend Acoustics to Madisound or even Parts Express.

Quote Originally Posted by cynan View Post
    I've heard (and believe) that the ClassD amp kits are pretty great for the money. But (and this is a big BUT) as you point out, they are DIY. In addition to the kits, you would probably need to spend a couple hundred $ on an enclosure and parts (binding posts, balanced or unbalanced inputs, wiring, IEC power cable and outlet, etc). And you need to have the time and interest (and tools) it takes to assemble it.

With a product like the Virtue ICE amp, you are paying quite a bit extra, but you are paying for engineering that went in to how to optimally assemble said pieces together into a tried and tested product with loads of nice fit and finish, comprehensive warranty, etc.

So, even if the sound quality and performance at the end of the day rivals products such as the Virtue ICE amps, these are products aimed at a very different market: It would almost be like comparing Ascend Acoustics to Madisound or even Parts Express.

Cynan, you are right, to purchase the stereo 250 watts/channel module and then add the power suppy and shipping I think it's about $250-$300, that's just for the parts. They have custom design chassis for $150 plus all the recommended parts to get a functioning amplifier adds aproximately another $200-$250, then you have to factor in the time for tweaking and assembly and make sure you do it right, which for someone like me can be a problem. I've also read these amps can sound harsh and too analytical, I guess with the Virtue ICE amps these issues have been addressed especially with the tubed output stage. I see your point and well taken I may add, and I like your comparision to Madison and Parts Express. The asking price for the Virtue mono amps is spot on compared to other ICE based amps that sell for thousands more. Thanks again my friend, it's been a pleasure.
    Jeff

Has anyone purchased a set of these? Reviews? Comments?