Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Integrated Amp Recommendations for Sierra-2

Default Re: Integrated Amp Recommendations for Sierra-2

I'd go with the Peachtree. A friend of mine has one with some CBM 340's and loves the combination.
    -Ben

Enrico Castagnetti @ Rythmik Audio
    Media Room: Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers w/ RAAL, Horizon w/ RAAL, Sierra 2s & Lunas | Rythmik F12SE (x2) + FV25HP | Emotiva XMC-1 | Emotiva XPA-3 & XPA-200 (x2) | Panasonic 820 | Bluesound Node 2 | Sony VW295ES | 92" Stewart ST100 |
    Desktop: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII | Rythmik L22 | Apogee Quartet | 27" iMac|
    Bedroom: B&W 685 S2 | Rythmik LVX12 | Marantz SR6013 | Sony 65Z9D |

Hi all,
    Thanks again for all of your input. While the parasound really does have all the features under the sun and I like the idea of room correction in the pioneer, I ended up ordering a demo unit of the Peachtree Audio Nova150- it has all of the features I'm looking for right now, has been getting great reviews, and I got a good deal. I'm pretty excited- will post back here with impressions once I have some time with it.
    Cheers,
    Chris

Interesting, 2x150W and ICEPower Class-D. Please do report how it sounds with the Sierra 2.

I haven't ordered my S2s yet, but I'll be using them with a Pioneer Elite VSX-30 and I think it's great. I do have an external phono stage but otherwise it works very well. I use it for my turntable, TV, laserdisc player, and I've used it with my Xbox 360.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisdavid View Post
    Hi all,
    I've ordered a pair of Sierra-2s last week- really excited to get them. I'm very much a beginner in this audiophile world, but I've been reading a lot and listening to different setups whenever I get a chance. But I still feel like I have no idea what I'm doing. To describe my level of novice: my current setup is a PS Audio Sprout, KEF Q100s, a Rega P1 turntable, and a Sonos Connect unit for streaming digital. The room is 8x15 (I live in an open floor plan rowhouse). I have the Sierra-2s on order, as I mentioned, as well as a completely overhauled Thorens TD-160 Super turntable from Vinyl Nirvana. I do not expect to use this system for anything but vinyl or digital streaming- likely as a 2.0 system with the potential for adding a sub down the road.

While I love the Sprout, I'm a little worried it's going to be underpowered to handle the Sierra-2s and have been researching potential replacements. While I've read lots about the benefits of using separate components, but I'm pretty set on an integrated. In particular, an integrated amp with a nice phono stage. A DAC would be nice as well, but it's not imperative- I can use the built-in DAC on the Sonos. The benefit is that this limits my options, but I still feel a little bit lost. I've read about the options offered from Rogue, Peachtree, Roksan, Parasound, Rotel, Croft, and Creek among many others. I'm most intrigued by the new Peachtree Nova150 and Rogue Audio Sphinx V2 at the moment, but I'm open to all options.

I've tried to make my way through the Sierra-2 forum and looked for other thoughts online, but I haven't seem much on integrated amplifier recommendations for the Sierra-2s.

My top end budget is around $2k (but hopefully a fair amount less). And I'm perfectly fine with pre-owned, demos, and b-stock. Does anybody have any suggestions? Or experience with any of the models I mentioned above?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts you have. And happy new year!
    Parasound integrated is amp preamp and ess dac. As well a very good adjustable phonostage. And many other features in my opinion way better that the class d peachtrees. Plus the fact it's a John Curl designed amp and pre is awesome. In the review it drove Maggie's 3.7 with woofer compo had no problem. Probably the best amp for your situation. Also the new Yamaha integrateds are awesome I'm not talking about the Yamaha 801 I'm talking about the 2000'and 2100. I have the A-S2000 it's awesome a fifty pound beast. Another I would suggest is Pathos Inpol which I have not cheap but so sweet. . Also look at pathos classic and Primare excellent Integrateds. I also own Sierra 2's they are fabulous. Good luck have fun! That's what this is all about.
    Last edited by Wadia171i; 01-29-2017 at 09:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wadia171i View Post
    Parasound integrated is amp preamp and ess dac. As well a very good adjustable phonostage. And many other features in my opinion way better that the class d peachtrees. Plus the fact it's a John Curl designed amp and pre is awesome. In the review it drove Maggie's 3.7 with woofer compo had no problem. Probably the best amp for your situation. Also the new Yamaha integrateds are awesome I'm not talking about the Yamaha 801 I'm talking about the 2000'and 2100. I have the A-S2000 it's awesome a fifty pound beast. Another I would suggest is Pathos Inpol which I have not cheap but so sweet. . Also look at pathos classic and Primare excellent Integrateds. I also own Sierra 2's they are fabulous. Good luck have fun! That's what this is all about.
    There is a slightly used Halo Integrated on US Audio Mart for $1,900..FWIW, the amp section of Halo Integrated is better than A23 but not to the level of A21, but the DAC section is better than P5..

As far as Peachtree, I am not a fan, have seem quite a few cases of reliability issues with their previous gen of Decca and Nova and their new Nova300 and 150 seems to be a bit overpriced..

Quote Originally Posted by justthinking View Post
    There is a slightly used Halo Integrated on US Audio Mart for $1,900..FWIW, the amp section of Halo Integrated is better than A23 but not to the level of A21, but the DAC section is better than P5..

As far as Peachtree, I am not a fan, have seem quite a few cases of reliability issues with their previous gen of Decca and Nova and their new Nova300 and 150 seems to be a bit overpriced..
    I agree with justthinking I owned a nova 125 the USB input quite working. And the pole piece out of the volume pot was to short and the volume knob would get loose constantly and fall of periodically. Sold it. The parasound is awesome piece heard it on a pair harbeth hl5 plus it was sweet. Also I bought mine from Best Buy it had no serial number. So when I called peachtree about repair it was a mess needless to say.
    Last edited by Wadia171i; 01-29-2017 at 03:36 PM.

I run my computer speakers on Wyred4Sound mINT. Small form factor, plenty of juice.

As to the sound of amplifiers, I believe all solid state amplifiers sound the same unless distortion is introduced intentionally by the designer.

Quote Originally Posted by bkdc View Post
    I run my computer speakers on Wyred4Sound mINT. Small form factor, plenty of juice.

As to the sound of amplifiers, I believe all solid state amplifiers sound the same unless distortion is introduced intentionally by the designer.
    I am definitely not making a comment on that. Enjoy the Wyred4Sound. Just giving recommendations that's all. All the best.